Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Emo Philips

Started by Clownbaby, October 10, 2020, 11:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Neomod on October 11, 2020, 07:50:50 AM
I think they were, yes.

Definitely. When I interviewed him (in Manchester the afternoon before a show) she was supporting him and he introduced me to her - in a weird way of course. Not sure if they were actually married at the time but there was a definite affection between them.

Interestingly I went to that show with a female friend who wasn't aware of Emo's work and thought that Judy was much funnier.

A few years ago he was doing a bit of material about his ex-wife without naming her (see my last post) so I presume it ended on less than friendly terms. That and the one about calling her some horrible name and 'she takes it the wrong way. She takes it as a joke.'

New page my brother says hello. So hurray for speech therapy.

batwings

Love Emo.

My girlfriend said, "Just buy me something crazy and expensive, something I don't even need!" So, I signed her up for a course of radiation treatment.

The other night a homeless man was going through my garbage. Now I hate to see a human being going through someone's garbage, so I made him a real nice racoon costume.

I used to think that the brain was the most important organ in my body. Then I thought "Look who's telling me this."

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on October 11, 2020, 08:48:12 AM
Definitely. When I interviewed him (in Manchester the afternoon before a show) she was supporting him and he introduced me to her - in a weird way of course. Not sure if they were actually married at the time but there was a definite affection between them.

Interestingly I went to that show with a female friend who wasn't aware of Emo's work and thought that Judy was much funnier.

A few years ago he was doing a bit of material about his ex-wife without naming her (see my last post) so I presume it ended on less than friendly terms. That and the one about calling her some horrible name and 'she takes it the wrong way. She takes it as a joke.'

New page my brother says hello. So hurray for speech therapy.

He's on his third wife now. Blimey.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Jockice on October 11, 2020, 08:48:12 AM
A few years ago he was doing a bit of material about his ex-wife without naming her (see my last post) so I presume it ended on less than friendly terms.

I understand Les Dawson was less than cordial with his mother-in-law too.

Quote from: Jockice on October 11, 2020, 09:59:29 PM
He's on his third wife now. Blimey.

OK fair enough, might be something in that.

Jockice

I wonder about the wisdom of two comedians marrying each other anyway. It would be a bit competitive I reckon. Apart from Lenny Henry and Dawn French. He can be funny occasionally but she can't. She just can't.

Clownbaby

I'm sure I read somewhere that Judy Tenuta said ''it's funny how rumours get around, we just toured together for a while'' or something like that. Who knows

https://www.ocweekly.com/love-goddess-6392508/

Hard to tell with em both though innit cause they pretty much always do interviews in character

Neomod

He married her in 1988 according to 'the internet'.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

My teacher said, "You know, I could expel you."

You'll have to catch and eat me first, you weirdo.

zomgmouse

When I was a kid

my parents used to tell me, "Emo, don't go near the cellar door!"

One day

when they were away,

I went up to the cellar door.

And I pushed it and walked through

and saw strange,

wonderful things,

things I had never seen before,

like...

trees, grass, flowers, the sun...

Quote from: zomgmouse on October 13, 2020, 05:42:21 AM
When I was a kid

my parents used to tell me, "Emo, don't go near the cellar door!"

One day

when they were away,

I went up to the cellar door.

And I pushed it and walked through

and saw strange,

wonderful things,

things I had never seen before,

like...

trees, grass, flowers, the sun...

That is such a good visual analog for his vocal cadences.

zomgmouse

best i could do without resorting to prosody-marking diacritics

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on October 12, 2020, 06:49:15 PM
I understand Les Dawson was less than cordial with his mother-in-law too.

Not true - Dawson got on fine with his mother-in-law. Dawson's m-i-l jokes were a reflection of a common power dynamic in working class northern towns back then. Mothers-in-law were an authority figure for many working class people who found themselves living with their in-laws after marriage (as they couldn't afford a home of their own) and so jokes were made about them.

Jockice

I've never seen a photo of him pre-comedy career, but here he is as a schoolboy. Looks reasonably normal. https://freethoughtblogs.com/recursivity/2018/03/03/whos-the-comedian/

Hand Solo

Quote from: Jockice on October 13, 2020, 03:06:19 PM
I've never seen a photo of him pre-comedy career, but here he is as a schoolboy. Looks reasonably normal.

Not when you see where Rod Hull has his fist.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 13, 2020, 08:38:55 AM
Not true - Dawson got on fine with his mother-in-law. Dawson's m-i-l jokes were a reflection of a common power dynamic in working class northern towns back then. Mothers-in-law were an authority figure for many working class people who found themselves living with their in-laws after marriage (as they couldn't afford a home of their own) and so jokes were made about them.

Don't think Rolf was being entirely serious, tbh. We all know what a subversive , intelligent comedian Les was at the time. John Cleese  rated him so highly, that he wilfully appeared on a television series with him after leaving Python in 1973.

By Christ, he was a *terrible* pianist, though. He never seemed to improve down the years either, I don't know why he insisted on playing it on his shows.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 13, 2020, 03:13:38 PM
By Christ, he was a *terrible* pianist, though. He never seemed to improve down the years either, I don't know why he insisted on playing it on his shows.

Wasn't he actually a good pianist but the pace at which shows were made in the 1970s combined with budgetary restraints meant they couldn't do retakes? It's also the reason the accident-prone Michael Crawford's gaffes often appeared in the broadcast version.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 13, 2020, 03:13:38 PM
Don't think Rolf was being entirely serious, tbh. We all know what a subversive , intelligent comedian Les was at the time. John Cleese  rated him so highly, that he wilfully appeared on a television series with him after leaving Python in 1973.

I'm always grabbing the wrong end of the stick and beating around the bush with it. Time to go

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 13, 2020, 04:54:06 PM
I'm always grabbing the wrong end of the stick and beating around the bush with it. Time to go

Of course it isn't, you big daftie. Your contributions to this place are always pretty valid. Don't take any notice of us sarky buggers.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Jockice on October 13, 2020, 03:06:19 PM
I've never seen a photo of him pre-comedy career, but here he is as a schoolboy. Looks reasonably normal. https://freethoughtblogs.com/recursivity/2018/03/03/whos-the-comedian/

Got a lotta Gene Wilder energy there.

McChesney Duntz

I was thinking more like Harmony Korine if he got a good night's sleep once in a while.

Emo didn't seem to write many new jokes between the mid-80s and early 90s, in contrast to Bill Hicks, say. Anyone expecting him to update the act would have been disappointed.

evilcommiedictator

Surely at that point you're doing clubs (which were stating to be a big thing in the US) and getting all the money there, doing tonight shows and maybe thinking of putting out a cassette?

I agree. I suppose my point is that you didn't have to update your act back then whereas now you'd be fucked because culture moves so much faster and you're on Youtube so your best jokes are already freely available. Unless people are showing up to hear jokes they already know, like at a rock concert.