Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:52:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Asshole

Started by bgmnts, October 10, 2020, 03:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

When did asshole replace arsehole? Was there a meeting I missed? Or this just an internet thing?

JamesTC

The Americanisation of our arseholes has to stop.

shiftwork2

Quote from: bgmnts on October 10, 2020, 03:43:00 PM
Was there a meeting I missed?

You didn't get that memo!

Butchers Blind

When americans call an arse a fanny when everyone knows a fanny is a front bottom.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 10, 2020, 03:55:46 PM
everyone knows a fanny is a front bottom.

Not sure everyone does

Norton Canes

Something something Joanna Lumley something

DrGreggles

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Lemmy used the word unironically, both in interviews and his autobiography, as does Eric Idle, and it makes me think less of them, the set of arseholes.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This was happening even during my alevels in 2003. We have to face it that a pathetically high number of British people worship US culture and only wish it was their own.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

How are British people pronouncing it though? Are they using the short "a", so it rhymes with gashole? That just sounds wrong. Or are they going for that elongated American "a", so they're basically putting on an American accent for one word? That sounds even more wrong. I fucking hate people.

Shit Good Nose

I think it has its place and I use it (in addition, not instead of) regularly. 

It's always sounded a lot harsher to me and the one to use when you're particularly angry at someone, whereas arsehole can come across almost as a term of endearment, similar to how weegies often use cunt as a loving term.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If you called me an asshole if you were angry with me I'd laugh at you.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Biden gets laid up with h(a)emorrhoids and we're left with an aris trying to force out a trump. A-holes.

"Everything's bottoms, isn't it?"

canadagoose

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 10, 2020, 05:01:37 PM
How are British people pronouncing it though? Are they using the short "a", so it rhymes with gashole? That just sounds wrong. Or are they going for that elongated American "a", so they're basically putting on an American accent for one word? That sounds even more wrong. I fucking hate people.
I might start calling it "gashole" now instead.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

No one who says 'assssssshole' can complain about 'chor-eeecethoh', but largely because they have already been removed by our trained assassins.

Sebastian Cobb

Brits saying it does annoy me. It annoys me more because I know it's a petty thing to get annoyed about.

Cloud

Clearly we need to build a firewall and make America pay for it

Polymorphia

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 10, 2020, 04:57:22 PM
We have to face it that a pathetically high number of British people worship US culture and only wish it was their own.

If people want me to like British culture more, they should make British culture better

Sebastian Cobb

Australia has an import tax on foreign art/culture, the idea being it'll encourage Australia to make more homegrown stuff. Although I can't help thinking perhaps Australian stuff would improve if they subsidised some foreign art/culture if anything.

Jittlebags

I wouldn't expect much culture wise from a country who thinks a pie floater is a valid dish.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jittlebags on October 10, 2020, 08:43:37 PM
I wouldn't expect much culture wise from a country who thinks a pie floater is a valid dish.

Also a thing in Wales.

Actually fuck it, it can have its own thread.

bgmnts

Never heard of a pie floater until now and I almost started crying.

Sebastian Cobb

tears of joy right?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Apparently they do something else mental with pies where they'll inject ketchup into the very heart of the pie. Like, they'll plunge the ketchup bottle nozzle directly through the upper crust then squeeze into the pie core.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 10, 2020, 09:03:21 PM
Apparently they do something else mental with pies where they'll inject ketchup into the very heart of the pie. Like, they'll plunge the ketchup bottle nozzle directly through the upper crust then squeeze into the pie core.

Those sausage rolls with ketchup spread within them before being cooked were weird.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Polymorphia on October 10, 2020, 08:13:27 PM
If people want me to like British culture more, they should make British culture better

It just needs to be superior to US culture, which it is.

beanheadmcginty

I remember back when Jackass was popular, numerous friends of mine in Kent insisted on calling it "Jackarse", which didn't really work because a jackass is an animal and nothing to do with arses.

El Unicornio, mang

Similarly, idiots calling the movie Kickass "Kickarse".

machotrouts

Not only is "asshole" a better, funnier, more lyrical word than "arsehole", Americans also have a coherent definition of the phrase "public school". They kick our ass admit it