Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:38:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Worst of the Beatles

Started by Rizla, October 10, 2020, 04:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

What is the worst Beatles-related thing?

It's not the Sgt Pepper's film, which actually looks quite enticing and watchable in this blu-ray trailer.

It is this. I would rather watch Lennon's murder than sit through this again.

"The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill"

dr beat

Ringo Starr - Drowning in the Sea of Love.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF9NfJIKXaQ

Gets played quite a bit in our house.  The video appears to be partly shot in an amusement arcade in Fleetwood, and seems to be a very thinly veiled allegory for Starr's alcohol issues at the time (see Danny Baker's bit in his book about interviewing Starr).

thenoise

I presume it's 'Yesterday' - not the song but the sappy Richard Curtis film. I've only seen the trailer - about a billion times as I went to the cinema a lot last year - but that was bad enough.

lipsink

John Lennon beating up his wife?

Rizla

Quote from: thenoise on October 10, 2020, 05:08:43 PM
I presume it's 'Yesterday' - not the song but the sappy Richard Curtis film. I've only seen the trailer - about a billion times as I went to the cinema a lot last year - but that was bad enough.
Suck a pigshit thick premise. Not seen it either, but it's saying that any dickhead with a guitar could be a megastar with those songs. Fuck off. I ask you, when's the last time anyone listened to the Overlanders version of Michelle?

Quote from: dr beat on October 10, 2020, 04:57:46 PM
Ringo Starr - Drowning in the Sea of Love.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF9NfJIKXaQ

Gets played quite a bit in our house.  The video appears to be partly shot in an amusement arcade in Fleetwood, and seems to be a very thinly veiled allegory for Starr's alcohol issues at the time (see Danny Baker's bit in his book about interviewing Starr).

I like that! Ringo's done  far, far worse things.

Rizla

Quote from: lipsink on October 10, 2020, 05:12:16 PM
John Lennon beating up his wife?

"Look lads, Christine Keeler's left her cunt in the pool". (Real quote, supposedly)

DrGreggles

Has anyone seen 'Give My Regards to Broad Street'?

IMDB Trivia:
"The plot is slightly based upon the fact that Sir Paul McCartney once lost a recording tape during a traffic jam."

Rizla

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 10, 2020, 05:32:43 PM
Has anyone seen 'Give My Regards to Broad Street'?

Yes. I'd say it's almost, almost so bad it's good. One of the great artistic follies of our time.  Or is it? Look, it's better than Cucumber Castle.

daf

Quote from: Rizla on October 10, 2020, 05:18:56 PM
I ask you, when's the last time anyone listened to the Overlanders version of Michelle?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rizla on October 10, 2020, 05:43:31 PM
Yes. I'd say it's almost, almost so bad it's good. One of the great artistic follies of our time.  Or is it? Look, it's better than Cucumber Castle.

I'm very tempted to watch it, as I love a good bad movie.
But something screams bad bad about it.

Rizla

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 10, 2020, 05:46:17 PM
I'm very tempted to watch it, as I love a good bad movie.
But something screams bad bad about it.
It's got Giant Haystacks in it, if that helps your decision.

DrGreggles

grainger

grainger

Quite a lot of their b-sides are shit. You Know My Name is awful.

SpiderChrist

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rizla on October 10, 2020, 05:52:01 PM
It's got Giant Haystacks in it, if that helps your decision.

Just appeared in my Twitter timeline!

Rizla

Quote from: grainger on October 10, 2020, 06:44:17 PM
You Know My Name is awful.
Noooo! It's daft as fuck, but that's the point. 
I'm not really a fan of Bungalow Bill, there's a few tracks on the White album I don't massively care for (I Will) but it wouldn't be the White album without them. It's a warts and all thing. Mind you, it's the one album of theirs I've never really had a "relationship" with, if you get me.

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is utter dogshit though, probably their only truly bad song, and a huge blemish on an otherwise superb LP, and I include "Octopus's Garden" in that superbness. Anyone who dislikes that track is wrong in the head.

Hand Solo

Quote from: grainger on October 10, 2020, 06:44:17 PMYou Know My Name is awful.

No. I Call Your Name is awful, especially when the cowbell kicks in.

Quote from: Rizla on October 10, 2020, 06:53:18 PM
"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is utter dogshit though, probably their only truly bad song, and a huge blemish on an otherwise superb LP, and I include "Octopus's Garden" in that superbness. Anyone who dislikes that track is wrong in the head

Maxwell is probably the track that broke up the band, it's shit and the amount of time he spent getting everyone together to run through it must be some kind of obscure torture. I'm sure it made the entire band side together against control freak McCartney. It's Paul trying to show off to his brother he can do Scaffold type material too, someone should have had some Aintree Iron come down upon his head.

grainger

Maxwell is shit, yes.

Controversial (but true): Oh Darling is cringe.

grainger

grainger

Hello, Goodbye is trite shite.

But having a comma in a title is good.

shagatha crustie

This. Excruciating. No wonder half the members walked out on him shortly after.

Dr Rock

Love Me Do. Sounds like Freddie and The Dreamers.

Jockice

BJBMK2

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: dr beat on October 10, 2020, 04:57:46 PM

I love that song.

Nice to see pictures of starving babies still sell records,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4Uu0OlmTg

Well, human misery and dead children anyway. To sell records.

Slightly cynical. Still not as bad as Imagine.

purlieu

Ringo Starr - Drumming is My Madness. Produced by George Harrison.

Written by Harry Nilsson, just to make things even harder to take.

non capisco

Quote from: purlieu on October 10, 2020, 09:29:01 PM
Ringo Starr - Drumming is My Madness. Produced by George Harrison.
Written by Harry Nilsson, just to make things even harder to take.

The sound of a directionless man in the throes of alcoholism pasting a hollow and unconvincing aural fixed grin on what must have been a desperately unhappy time in his life. Still pisses all over fucking 'Imagine'.