Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:26:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Worst of the Beatles

Started by Rizla, October 10, 2020, 04:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand Solo

Quote from: purlieu on October 10, 2020, 09:29:01 PM
Ringo Starr - Drumming is My Madness. Produced by George Harry Nilsson

Mama Cass and Keith Moon both died in Nilsson's flat, I wonder if his middle name was Dennis?

pigamus

studpuppet

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 10, 2020, 09:47:08 PM
Mama Cass and Keith Moon both died in Nilsson's flat, I wonder if his middle name was Dennis?

And Hendrix, but that a few years earlier when Nilsson was still living in Cricklewood, so you can't pin that one on him.

Phil_A

Quote from: Rizla on October 10, 2020, 04:39:55 PM

It's not the Sgt Pepper's film, which actually looks quite enticing and watchable in this blu-ray trailer.

Genuinely one of the most excruciating media artefacts I have ever been subjected to. This film is utterly appalling.

However, it's still not as bad as the bit on "Birthday" when Paul bellows "I WOULD LIKE YOU TO DANCE! TAKE A CHA-CHA-CHA CHANCE!" The true nadir of Beatledom.

DrGreggles

sutin

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 11, 2020, 02:19:59 PM
Here we go...

Jeez, this is rotten... And there's more than an hour to go!

Rizla

Quote from: sutin on October 11, 2020, 02:44:25 PM
Hell no. It should be the national anthem.
It's fair to say that Obladi Oblada or Oh Darling or whatever lack the weight or the import of the best of the beatles, but unlike Maxwell, they are at least great sounding recordings with superb vocal performances.

Just as every Beatles fan goes through a phase of thinking "Hey Bulldog" is a work of unparallelled genius (it's not), they also have a wobble where they think "Octopus's Garden" is shit (it's not).

Fuck, forgot about "Don't Pass Me By" though didn't I. Now that is utter shit. OK, there's that and Maxwell.

Rizla

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 11, 2020, 02:51:35 PM
Jeez, this is rotten... And there's more than an hour to go!

I trust you've gone for the fully canonic 1984 cinematic experience and enjoyed the entirety of "Rupert and the Frog Song" as the support feature?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rizla on October 11, 2020, 02:54:35 PM
I trust you've gone for the fully canonic 1984 cinematic experience and enjoyed the entirety of "Rupert and the Frog Song" as the support feature?

No support feature here.
The Frog Chorus would be a blessed relief.

DrGreggles

Just hit the 90 minute mark.
Nothing's happened yet...

DrGreggles

Well, it's over. It was worse than I originally feared.

In what I assume to be an homage to Dave Clark, Paul McCartney appears 29 times in the end credits.

Rizla

Question is, what's worse - the film or the game?

sutin

Quote from: Rizla on October 11, 2020, 02:52:11 PM
It's fair to say that Obladi Oblada or Oh Darling or whatever lack the weight or the import of the best of the beatles

It may be fair for you to say, but I personally would never say that about what I consider one of The Beatles and Paul McCartney's greatest songs.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rizla on October 11, 2020, 04:35:55 PM
Question is, what's worse - the film or the game?

The film.
The game is far more visually appealing.

Keebleman

Quote from: purlieu on October 10, 2020, 09:29:01 PM
Ringo Starr - Drumming is My Madness. Produced by George Harrison.

Written by Harry Nilsson, just to make things even harder to take.

Q Magazine recommended that you should imagine him singing 'drinking' instead of 'drumming'.  The song will make a lot more sense and will also be a much more entertaining listen.

non capisco

Quote from: Keebleman on October 11, 2020, 10:35:49 PM
Q Magazine recommended that you should imagine him singing 'drinking' instead of 'drumming'.  The song will make a lot more sense and will also be a much more entertaining listen.

Paul Heaton: Changed me mind. Can I have that money back, please? 

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: pigamus on October 10, 2020, 10:14:34 PM
^ hat mildly fucked there

And in the same bed as well...although not at the same time

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Keebleman on October 11, 2020, 10:35:49 PM

It makes a lot more sense, yes, but it's still utterly depressing. He sounds like what he was: a chronic alcoholic who couldn't give a shit.

Sorry for being so serious. Peace and love.

SteveDave

Quote from: Rizla on October 10, 2020, 05:21:24 PM

"Look lads, Christine Keeler's left her cunt in the pool". (Real quote, supposedly)

Ringo had been there according to that Craig Brown book I'm currently slogging my way through.

Look at him

kalowski

It's only Maxwell's... Which has no redeeming features. Every other one does. Even Don't Pass Me By, plodding as it is segues into Why Don't We Do It In The Road via that lovely fiddle and bongo sound.
Octopus's Garden has sublime backing vocals. Oh! Darling is brilliant.

poodlefaker

Living in Hope by The Rutles is better than Don't Pass Me By.

buzby

Quote from: Phil_A on October 11, 2020, 12:45:14 AM
Genuinely one of the most excruciating media artefacts I have ever been subjected to. This film is utterly appalling.
Seconded. Under no circumstances should anyone watch the Sgt. Pepper film. I'm not even a fan of the Beatles but it still made me wish death on everyone involved. The one consolaton is that it  bankrupted Robert Stigwood.