Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:39:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Worst of the Beatles

Started by Rizla, October 10, 2020, 04:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: kalowski on October 12, 2020, 11:27:51 AM
It's only Maxwell's... Which has no redeeming features.

Moog solo sir, Moog solo!

Egyptian Feast

My partner saw the Sgt Pepper at the pictures when she was 10, so she had fond memories of it and I'd always been morbidly curious about seeing it, but never had the chance until I downloaded it a couple of years back. I can't pretend I didn't sort-of enjoy it. It's utterly terrible in every respect, but there is much enjoyment to be had in tearing it apart with someone else. There's a hell of a lot to get stuck into. Peter Frampton's ears must have been on fire that evening.

I think the only half-decent decision made in the whole production was hiring Aerosmith to play the evil band. I'm really not a fan, but their version of 'Come Together' pissed all over anything else in the film and I was rooting for them thereafter. I was hoping Alice Cooper's cameo would be worthwhile, but alas, it was nothing on the first three minutes of Monster Dog. Terrible idea, terrible film, but a fascinating time capsule.

The Culture Bunker

'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' gets a lot of hate, fair enough, but I've never minded it that much. Compared to something like Lennon's 'Woman', it's a sublime bit of craft.

famethrowa

Quote from: daf on October 12, 2020, 01:24:04 PM

I thought of that too, the little synth brass blasts after the 2nd or 3rd (or 15th, whatever) verse are very nice. Also intrigued by the rather grand piano arpeggios that suddenly cut out to just drums and bass.

famethrowa

The Sgt Pepper movie was a bit of a fave of my parents, we had the double cassette, double LP, two copies of the official picture book! But if I think back to what the actual movie was like, it seems like a hazy dream of Frankie Howerd acting like a sex offender with some robots, giant burgers and Maurice Gibb with an oversized brandy balloon. The songs of that movie were the first time I heard Beatles songs in any form. Scarred for life.

wosl

Lennon: Tongue-pushed-against-lower-lip face-pulling/'funny' walks/Seig Sieg Heil-ing from a Frankfurt (or wherever it was in Germany) balcony.  Absolute toe-curling stuff.

Macca: The populist/'out of our bailiwick here, lads; play it safe' side of him wanting Yellow Submarine to be more 'Disney' and thus being sceptical of George Dunning's team's wonderful vision of what the film could be.

Ringo: Twenty-four hour 'Peace and Love' slogan-spouter, who flashes the V-for-Victory sign to the point where you want to see his index and middle fingers removed with a Bosch Easy-cut Nano-blade.

George: Struggling.  How about: superior standoffishness in that clip where the Fabs are seen arriving at Abbey Road at the start of the 'Pepper sessions, I think, and all of them find the time to give an interviewer door-stepping them a decent chunk of chat time, with the exception of Harrison, who essentially swans past him like someone who will shortly acquire the sort of stately home that will make the other Beatle stately homes look like Airfix HO/00 models.

Edit: Rechtschreibfehler

kalowski

Quote from: poodlefaker on October 12, 2020, 12:39:35 PM
Living in Hope by The Rutles is better than Don't Pass Me By.
Ah, Living in Hope is joyful!

kalowski

Quote from: daf on October 12, 2020, 01:24:04 PM
No. Not even the Sil-Ver-Ham-Mer bit near the end.

Dr Rock

Maxwell's Silver Hammer is better than Love Me Do, which earlier I said sounds like Freddie & The Dreamers but in fact it sounds like the other worst band of the sixties, The Dave Clark 5.

daf

No Maxwell's Silver Hammer = no anvil in 'Mr Blue Sky'

Everybody here likes ELO, right? . . .

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 12, 2020, 07:19:45 PM
Maxwell's Silver Hammer is better than Love Me Do

Nah. Love Me Do doesn't annoy the fuck out of me.
They spent AGES on MSH too - and ended up with that!

grainger

Quote from: wosl on October 12, 2020, 03:22:42 PM

George: Struggling.  How about: superior standoffishness in that clip where the Fabs are seen arriving at Abbey Road at the start of the 'Pepper sessions, I think, and all of them find the time to give an interviewer door-stepping them a decent chunk of chat time, with the exception of Harrison, who essentially swans past him like someone who will shortly acquire the sort of stately home that will make the other Beatle stately homes look like Airfix HO/00 models.

George: saying that he had no money and wasn't at all materialistic in a 1970s interview, while living in a 1,000 bedroom mansion. And of course the disingenuous and off-putting Taxman:

"It's one for you and nineteen for me, but only on income above a threshold that could only be dreamed of by 99% of the population, you winging hypocrite". That's what the "Taxman" really said to him.

I like George, by the way, but he was far from perfect.

grainger

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 12, 2020, 07:43:45 PM
Nah. Love Me Do doesn't annoy the fuck out of me.
They spent AGES on MSH too - and ended up with that!

Sometimes overworking something can make it worse. Also, if something is fundamentally shit, no amount of polishing will... well, polish it.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: grainger on October 12, 2020, 07:47:50 PM
George: saying that he had no money and wasn't at all materialistic in a 1970s interview, while living in a 1,000 bedroom mansion. And of course the disingenuous and off-putting Taxman:

"It's one for you and nineteen for me, but only on income above a threshold that could only be dreamed of by 99% of the population, you winging hypocrite". That's what the "Taxman" really said to him.

I like George, by the way, but he was far from perfect.

He was only around 23 when he wrote those lyrics half a century ago.  Quite frankly, Taxman is such a banger, he could be singing about bringing back the birch and National Service as far as I'm concerned.

Hand Solo

Quote from: daf on October 12, 2020, 07:27:17 PM
No Maxwell's Silver Hammer = no anvil in 'Mr Blue Sky'

Everybody here likes ELO, right? . . .

Most of Mr Blue Sky comes from the "Woke up, got out of bed," bit from A Day In The Life.

MrSerious

Mantle Retractor

Surely George's nadir is his affair with Ringo's wife?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Ptolemy Ptarmigan on October 12, 2020, 11:13:33 AM

I've just flounced out of the " All New What Do You Look Like, Ya Shitter?" thread, but have re- entered this one specifically to flounce out again.

Also , reported.

Not even the fittest bird in the world ( but pretty close).

Aleister Growley

The intro to Mr Blue Sky is pure "Do You Remember Walter" Village Greenery.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Aleister Growley on October 13, 2020, 09:52:45 AM
The intro to Mr Blue Sky is pure "Do You Remember Walter" Village Greenery.

I can see what you mean with the similar stabbing piano rhythm, but A Day In The Life is exactly the same and was a year before Walter, also Lynne is a Beatles obsessive so far more likely to be the main inspiration.

Aleister Growley

Yeah, probably true. Nothing new under the sun, is there?

Hand Solo

Quote from: Aleister Growley on October 13, 2020, 10:32:54 AM
Yeah, probably true. Nothing new under the sun, is there?

Ecclesiastes 1:9

What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.

I don't know if it's been referenced elsewhere but I've always felt the other main inspiration for Mr Blue Sky (certainly in terms of orchestration, production and overall sound) was that synth version of Ode To Joy they feature in A Clockwork Orange.

the science eel

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 12, 2020, 09:39:33 PM
I've just flounced out of the " All New What Do You Look Like, Ya Shitter?" thread, but have re- entered this one specifically to flounce out again.

Also , reported.

Not even the fittest bird in the world ( but pretty close).

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

TheMonk

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 12, 2020, 08:13:10 PM
Most of Mr Blue Sky comes from the "Woke up, got out of bed," bit from A Day In The Life.
Also that Horace Wimp one .

Hand Solo

Quote from: TheMonk on October 13, 2020, 12:25:38 PM
Also that Horace Wimp one .

Yes, I was going to mention that one is pretty much Blue Sky part 2. Same piano stabs and A Day In The Life lyrics of getting up to catch a bus "Late again today, he'd be in trouble though he'd say he was sorry, he'd have to hurry out to the bus." The ending orchestration sounds like George's guitar parts towards the end of Dear Prudence, also.

Rizla

Quote from: poodlefaker on October 12, 2020, 12:39:35 PM
Living in Hope by The Rutles is better than Don't Pass Me By.
Doubleback Alley is every bit as good as Penny Lane

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" Piggy In The Middle" has the potential to be just as good as " I Am The Walrus", but spoils things with those childish " do a pooh pooh" lyrics ( would a " Worst Of the Rutles" thread have legs?)

Incidentally, when Is Ptolmy Whatsisface coming on 'ere to apologise for that last disgraceful post he made?

studpuppet

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 13, 2020, 12:48:04 PM
"Piggy In The Middle" has the potential to be just as good as " I Am The Walrus", but spoils things with those childish " do a pooh pooh" lyrics ( would a " Worst Of the Rutles" thread have legs?)

I think some of them are intentionally 'bad' because some of them are head and shoulders above the songs they're parodying.

Let's Be Natural for instance, where Wom eclipses Ringo in the fills at the end.

We've Arrived (And To Prove It We're Here) is another case of them cocking about with it because it's a bit too on the nose otherwise.

(And for a Worst Of The Rutles there's Bongwater's Love Life.)

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 13, 2020, 12:48:04 PM
Incidentally, when Is Ptolmy Whatsisface coming on 'ere to apologise for that last disgraceful post he made?
Sorry, but you've never made it clear that you liked her.