Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Matt Forde Cries Over Bad Amazon Reviews

Started by DrGreggles, October 11, 2020, 12:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
For a bloke that presumably spent at least some time in post industrial shitholes, you'd think he would get the antipathy towards 'the Blair project' from the man on the street.

Edit: New Page, New Danger

Bernice

pigamus

What do you do with people like Matt Forde though? There's just so fucking many of them.

Fambo Number Mive

"Being skint meant you had to work harder". Sounds like something a Tory would say.

I hope this book is in a charity shop in the next couple of years as I would like to read it but don't want to give Matt any money.

Pingers

Quote from: Bernice on October 12, 2020, 11:14:59 AM
Sure start innit, the one genuine positive policy initiative blairites can point to, and will do, over and over and over again.

Well there was the minimum wage and improvement of the NHS as well, but NHS and Sure Start spending got gutted by the failure of Blair and Brown to regulate the financial sector properly, so only 1 out of 3 there.

Quote from: Pingers on October 12, 2020, 11:27:30 AM
Well there was the minimum wage and improvement of the NHS as well, but NHS and Sure Start spending got gutted by the failure of Blair and Brown to regulate the financial sector properly, so only 1 out of 3 there.

I would add the scrapping of Section 28 (and civil partnerships), pensioners' fuel allowances, increasing the guaranteed annual paid holiday days for workers, child tax credits, devolution, doubling of education funding, the Human Rights Act, banning fox hunting & cosmetic testing.

I am Matt Forde and I claim my £5.

Plenty wrong too, mind.  Removal of clause IV, acceptance of Tories' anti-union legislation, failure to invest in council housing, student tuition fees, deregulation of the banks, handing control of interest rates to the Bank of England, failure to abolish the Lords, joining the US in their ill-thought-out strategy of blowing the fuck out of other countries and leaving a power vacuum behind as a legacy.

Actually, I'm not Matt Forde.  Take the fiver back.

Quote from: king_tubby on October 11, 2020, 10:09:45 PM
https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1314142507899457536

Genuinely funny stuff, with the excellent comedy full stop of Forde blocking the poster.  Actual satire was too fucking much for him.

Fambo Number Mive

Daniel Finklestein acting like an idiot on Twitter in defence of Forde:

https://twitter.com/Dannythefink/status/1315238818069405697

"You have 169 followers, you poopy pants".

phantom_power

I find it hard to believe he is anything near working class. All I could find on Wikipedia is that his mum was a former nun, which doesn't suggest working class but dunno.

I did also find this quote somewhere as well:

Matt Forde, now a comedian, reckoned Ed Miliband was "not a strong enough leader to stand up to the unions"

which is pretty much something a Tory would say. I am not sure how you can be a proper Labour supporter and not be on the side of the unions

He constantly cites his working class credentials in a way that no working class person ever does.  I was glad to learn that he left the party in 2015 after Corbyn was elected leader.  Nice to know that my choice that year still resonates positively today.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pingers on October 12, 2020, 11:27:30 AM

Things like maternity pay was alright so women fucked their careers up a bit less by having kids, but I always feel that was probably neoliberalism making two income households a necessity rather than him being dedicated to feminism.

Hat FM

real david brent self-published book vibes here.

I wonder if he tackles the greatest threat to working people, which is stagnating and declining wages. Wage growth has been pretty trash since the mid 80s and the wage share (wages/GDP) has been on a constant slide over the same period. If only there was a way for the left to oppose this in government! A puzzler for sure. Maybe Matt has the answers in his book.

The Roofdog

Quote from: phantom_power on October 12, 2020, 08:38:13 AM
Making a "Carlsberg don't make..." joke in 2020? Fucking hell.

And he's fucked it up totally: the line was "Carlsberg don't do...", and then there's a really clumsy mix of plural and singular in the way he's phrased the pay off.

idunnosomename

Quote from: The Roofdog on October 12, 2020, 12:32:25 PM
And he's fucked it up totally: the line was "Carlsberg don't do...", and then there's a really clumsy mix of plural and singular in the way he's phrased the pay off.
well, it's just lazy and shit isn't it. "256-page tweet" summed it up

BritishHobo

Quote from: Cursus on October 12, 2020, 11:22:01 AM
Quote from: Matt FordeI say it's a joke, but if I do the top and say the 1997–2010 government were the best days any of us will ever have so long as we live, I'm only half joking.

What gets me most is the way that these absolute arseaches seem completely incapable of understanding the basics of cause-and-effect - and their own fucking actions- that led to the political shift in 2010 and the rapid downward slide thereafter. They seem to think that the decisions voters made on election day 2010 just happened in a vacuum. Like the day before, everyone was going 'aw we love New Labour, what a united and progressive country we are' and then the next day turned around and went 'ACTUALLY WE'LL BE RACIST NOW'. Total denial of the fact that their thirteen years in power bear responsibility for what the political climate was at the end of it. Tony Blair's sycophantic courting of Murdoch for example, which is massively responsible for so much of the awful bullshit we're lumbered with.

They'll never fucking take responsibility. To them it was just a nice birthday party that ultimately came to a pleasant end - and then loads of other cunts came in and fucked things up.

touchingcloth

Carlsberg don't do irrealis moods, but if they were to they'd probably be more enjoyable than their beer.

phantom_power

Good work not putting this in the Comedy forum BTW

holyzombiejesus

Ew!

QuoteRarely is such an important book this funny. And rarely is such a funny book this important, Richard Osman

This is the funniest book I've read in ages, but then I do read very serious books, Jess Phillips

Absolutely brilliant. I didn't want the book to end but I'm glad Fordy's political career did. And I mean that as both a compliment and not a compliment, Russell Howard

That Richard Osman quote is really awful isn't it? Imagine his smug Easter Island face when he wrote it...

phantom_power

How is it important? A bunch of dullard crybabies lose "their" party for a few years and now seem to have got it back again. IMPORTANT!

Bernice

Because in a society sliding towards a starkly functional level of literacy, Matt Forde is Karl Popper.

Sebastian Cobb

Fucking lol at that Phillips quote, I thought it was a joke about her making literally everything about her, but no, it's real.

If I wrote a political book and she endorsed it, I'd know I'd made a terrible mistake.

frajer

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 12, 2020, 01:04:38 PM
Ew!

That Richard Osman quote is really awful isn't it? Imagine his smug Easter Island face when he wrote it...

God those quotes are fucking barren and woefully formulaic. "I've never laughed so hard while holding something made of paper (wait for it) but then I do take my origami very seriously" (shoot self in face)

Cuellar

Hate Richard Osman and everything he stands for.

touchingcloth

Had anyone heard of this guy before Spitting Image? His CV reads like that of a jobbing comedian graded as "fine".

jobotic

This book by my friend who thinks exactly like me and all the rest of us lot , is brilliant and funny like me and all my friends. I really really hate Jeremy Corbyn.

idunnosomename

He used to be known as "tie nonce"

You could endlessly fall upward too if ypu just rammed your tongue up tony blairs anus

jobotic

I've tried and tried but Tony Blair doesn't even know I exist. Sad face.

pigamus

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 12, 2020, 02:12:33 PM
Had anyone heard of this guy before Spitting Image? His CV reads like that of a jobbing comedian graded as "fine".

Not very talented but gregarious and good at networking - a bit like the manager type lipsink mentioned above.