Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:44:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Matt Forde Cries Over Bad Amazon Reviews

Started by DrGreggles, October 11, 2020, 12:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Funniest thing he did was when he tweeted that he thought Jo Swinson had done a good job during that election debate she bombed at which basically killed her political career.

Even the centrist parody accounts didn't dare go that far.

NoSleep

Quote from: Cursus on October 11, 2020, 01:58:54 PM
Boo:

No worries, I'm sure its price will plummet at some point in the near future so you'll be guaranteed that you will not be doing anything but relieving a bookseller of unwanted stock at a minimal price. But even then would it be worth it?

idunnosomename

do you think he tries to cheer up homeless people by sitting next to them outside tube stations and being "hey, think you got it bad pal? the lib dems are such an electoral failure and non-entity, I have no electable party that aligns with my petty-minded identity anymore"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on October 11, 2020, 03:02:01 PM
No worries, I'm sure its price will plummet at some point in the near future so you'll be guaranteed that you will not be doing anything but relieving a bookseller of unwanted stock at a minimal price. But even then would it be worth it?

Depends if you could use it to line a budgies cage afterwards or something.

Quote from: Cursus on October 11, 2020, 02:09:48 PM
It looks like he says a bit about his time in Stoke:

Meredith's entire ticket was about abolishing the elected mayor post. The previous incumbent (who I am acquainted with) was an openly gay progressive man, who had left the Labour party to get things done and they actively sabotaged and ridiculed him at every turn in collusion with the local media.

It would obviously be unwise for me to repeat many of the things I've heard (about the mayor, not Forde), but I imagine Forde's contribution to advancing the welfare of the people of SoT is at best miniscule, and at worst counter productive. Makes for great posturing about 'broken politics' in his dog shit book though I'm sure.

phantom_power

Isn't his book out of date now what with him and his cuntery getting their way and Labour being "back on track" with St Armer?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on October 11, 2020, 03:41:47 PM
Isn't his book out of date now what with him and his cuntery getting their way and Labour being "back on track" with St Armer?

Well I think the ones who aren't jumping with joy at being neck-and-neck with the worst government in history are saying they're still 'detoxifying the brand' from the state Crobbins left it in.

the hum

Can't recall ever hearing of this "comedian" before, but I dislike him quite intensely already. File under centrist grifter landfill.

idunnosomename

Quote from: the hum on October 11, 2020, 04:23:12 PM
Can't recall ever hearing of this "comedian" before, but I dislike him quite intensely already. File under centrist grifter landfill.
lucky you. The ad campaign for "Brexit Pursued by a Bear" was relentless in London and on twitter at least

phantom_power

I hate him in many different ways. I hate him for his shit political opinions, but I perhaps hate him more for stinking up other comedians I actually like. He turns up occasionally on the Robins & James podcast and it annoys the shit out of me that they are friends with him and even seem to agree with his weak handshake of a political opinion

Blinder Data

he's annoying but people who leave fake one-star reviews are the real wankers in this case. it's weird and obsessive to to publicise ways for people to not pay for his book. just feels very small, mean behaviour towards someone who is at worst a not very good comedian with centrist opinions

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 11, 2020, 06:21:40 PM
it's weird and obsessive to to publicise ways for people to not pay for his book.

He'd still get paid for that Audible book as it's an Amazon promotion, they're actually doing him a favour.

Dex Sawash

he's annoying but people who leave fake one-star reviews are the real wankers in this case. it's weird and obsessive to to publicise ways for people to not pay for his book. just feels very small, mean behaviour towards someone who is at worst a not very good comedian with centrist opinions

power neg

Blinder Data

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 11, 2020, 06:26:51 PM
He'd still get paid for that Audible book as it's an Amazon promotion, they're actually doing him a favour.

I'm sure that's their intention 🙃

this is just bullying, really. I don't see how it can be justified or explained away as anything else

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 11, 2020, 06:29:37 PM

this is just bullying, really. I don't see how it can be justified or explained away as anything else

People getting their own back on a bully who uses his power and influence to be disparaging and disrespectful to others.

As far as retribution goes, it's pretty tame stuff, and just desserts. If you dish it out then don't be surprised when you have to take it.

chveik

Cuellar

There are barely even any 1 star reviews - this is presumably just an attempt to drum up some publicity.

"THE CORBYNITE TROLLS ARE AT IT AGAIN, this time on MY NEW BOOK - typical!!!"

DrGreggles

But he made a post essentially begging for people to leave fake good reviews.
What's the difference?
Those original 1 star reviews look pretty genuine, which means that he wants fake reviews to counter negative ones that he doesn't like.

Anyway, he's more a not very good political commentator than a not very good comedian these days, which is probably why he got a book deal to start with.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 11, 2020, 06:33:38 PM
People getting their own back on a bully who uses his power and influence to be disparaging and disrespectful to others.

As far as retribution goes, it's pretty tame stuff, and just desserts. If you dish it out then don't be surprised when you have to take it.

Is he a bully? What has he been dishing out apart from crap jokes and anti-Corbn views?

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 11, 2020, 06:40:35 PM
But he made a post essentially begging for people to leave fake good reviews.
What's the difference?
Those original 1 star reviews look pretty genuine, which means that he wants fake reviews to counter negative ones that he doesn't like.

The original tweet asked for people who have read it to leave a review.

NoSleep

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 11, 2020, 06:29:37 PM

How can one person be so wrong every time they post?

chveik

NoSleep

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 11, 2020, 06:44:26 PM
Is he a bully? What has he been dishing out apart from crap jokes and anti-Corbn views?

Advising/supporting corrupt mayors?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 11, 2020, 06:44:26 PM
The original tweet asked for people who have read it to leave a review.

Yes, that's DEFINITELY what he was trying to do.

JaDanketies

Quote from: bgmnts on October 11, 2020, 01:48:04 PM
May be wrong. Amazon probably not arsed anyway and I want Matt Forde to be ruined.

it is definitely illegal to write fake reviews in the UK and the maximum sentence is two years in jail.

touchingcloth

Who is paying any attention to Amazon reviews for books anyway? "A friend whose views I generally trust said that this book was one of the best they had read in ages. Hang on, what's this? Half a star on Amazon? No."

Zetetic

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 11, 2020, 07:06:49 PM
it is definitely illegal to write fake reviews in the UK and the maximum sentence is two years in jail.
I don't think it is if you're not undertaking it as a commercial practice. Doing it for a laugh is fine as far as I can tell.

Blinder Data

a thought experiment: Aaron bastani's book has been targeted by gammons with fake one-star reviews. he asks readers to leave positive ones in response. does this action attract the amusement of CaB?

Blinder Data

Quote from: chveik on October 11, 2020, 06:45:56 PM
not exactly

he's asking for positive reviews from people who liked the book. that's not exactly controversial or unheard of in the world of authors, podcasters, etc