Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:43:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Matt Forde Cries Over Bad Amazon Reviews

Started by DrGreggles, October 11, 2020, 12:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Imagine having principles you believe in that would help a shitload of people, so extreme.

It's like a frustration of his own inability to really care about anything, or inability to admit to himself that he's actually right wing because that's harder for your career I guess.

The Centrist conundrum; dispassion or cowardice?

idunnosomename

Quote from: phantom_power on October 12, 2020, 08:38:13 AM
Making a "Carlsberg don't make..." joke in 2020? Fucking hell. And that description of "the hard left" of Corbyn is straight out of the fucking Daily Mail
and hasnt he just issued a positive superlative with it?

Terminator "joke" is also cringe, shit and flattering in equal measure

NoSleep

Also the idea that "the left" seek to be the "angriest"; after the incessant tantrums from the centrists throughout the Corbyn era.

Sebastian Cobb

Ah yes it's the left that are displeased.

Just like brexiteers, centrists seem to have currently got their way, yet are really angry about it.

bgmnts

Hahahaha is it me or does none of that ^ mean anything? Just words on a page.

Sebastian Cobb

It's exactly what every 40 something Gen-X blairite condescendingly says to 30-somethings, without realising we got a different view of Blair as we were entering adulthood, it was mostly a series of the doors closing again, and as such we see it as unsustainable.

NoSleep

Quote from: bgmnts on October 12, 2020, 09:21:56 AM
Hahahaha is it me or does none of that ^ mean anything? Just words on a page.
Maybe that's what makes it comedy (it isn't funny in any way otherwise); revealing the vacuity that is centrism.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 12, 2020, 09:26:33 AM
It's exactly what every 40 something Gen-X blairite condescendingly says to 30-somethings, without realising we got a different view of Blair as we were entering adulthood, it was mostly a series of the doors closing again, and as such we see it as unsustainable.

I've just googled this guy, and he's not 40-something, he just looks it. He's 37.

touchingcloth

Actually I take it back. He looks 50-something. A hard life on the soft left.

idunnosomename

Pingers

touchingcloth

I adored Oasis, because I was a young idiot. I wasn't young or idiotic enough to think that Tony Blairs would make me into Oasis.

Bernice

The self-interested, anti-intellectual, gallery-playing, faux-proletarian preening of Oasis is, to be fair, the perfect distillation of Blairism.

phantom_power

It's like he got his political opinions from Loaded. "Politics is the new rock'n'roll".

And the idea that Momentum are the villains of the piece when you read those reports about how senior Labour officials were constantly manoeuvring against Corbyn is fucking laughable. That these centrist dim bulbs can't differentiate between proper left wing activists and the occasional extremist nobhead on Twitter is just confirmation bias really

NoSleep

I'm not sure they can't differentiate; they won't differentiate.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bernice on October 12, 2020, 09:46:52 AM
The self-interested, anti-intellectual, gallery-playing, faux-proletarian preening of Oasis is, to be fair, the perfect distillation of Blairism.

I like how in interviews with Alan McGee he fully admits it was cynical PR on both sides.

idunnosomename

I think he's been caught out that people have simply noticed his book has even less worth than a James O'Brien or Ian Dunt publication. Absolute narcissism to think his essentially random stream of consciousness transcription of his arse-licking of a war criminal that passes for his politics is worth anyone reading except to relentlessly mock

Cursus

I have a sneaking suspicion that whoever put the subtitle in all caps here was taking the piss:

Bernice

ajsmith2

I'm two years older than Forde and I thought Tony Blair was shite from the off, even before all the war crimes. Admittedly I had zero political consciousness at the time and the unedifying reality is that I was likely influenced by the somehwat reactionary views of (some of) my family but I also (self deludingly like to) think I had his number as the High Satanic Prince of Evil from the off, a bit like how dogs bark at wrong 'uns they detect on instinct.

In addition: all the actually good Oasis songs/moments were released/happened before Blair got in: after he got it it was the No.10 handshake, a hugely dissapointing 3rd album then a rapid fading from the zeitgiest that was complete by early '98. People conflate all that in their memories when they're burbling on wistfully about the 90s but the correct sequence of events NEEDS to be remembered. The Tories shouldn't have run with 'New Labour, New Danger', it should have been 'Vote Labour, get Be Here Now'.

idunnosomename

Cant stop laughing at this as they both get excited about one book being bought from a shop

https://twitter.com/tobyperkinsmp/status/1314929508210929664?s=19

Jockice

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 12, 2020, 10:22:07 AM
Cant stop laughing at this as they both get excited about one book being bought from a shop

https://twitter.com/tobyperkinsmp/status/1314929508210929664?s=19

Oi! Leave my pal alone or I'll set his sister on you.

touchingcloth

Quote from: ajsmith2 on October 12, 2020, 10:21:38 AM
I'm two years older than Forde and I thought Tony Blair was shite from the off, even before all the war crimes. Admittedly I had zero political consciousness at the time and the unedifying reality is that I was likely influenced by the somehwat reactionary views of (some of) my family but I also (self deludingly like to) think I had his number as the High Satanic Prince of Evil from the off, a bit like how dogs bark at wrong 'uns they detect on instinct.

In addition: all the actually good Oasis songs/moments were released/happened before Blair got in: after he got it it was the No.10 handshake, a hugely dissapointing 3rd album then a rapid fading from the zeitgiest that was complete by early '98. People conflate all that in their memories when they're burbling on wistfully about the 90s but the correct sequence of events NEEDS to be remembered. The Tories shouldn't have run with 'New Labour, New Danger', it should have been 'Vote Labour, get Be Here Now'.

Be Here Now was fine, but a far cry from the feverish days of Roll With It/Country House.

lipsink

Matt Forde kinda reminds me of the senior manager at the office you work at who flies from London to do an boring yearly presentation entitled "WHAT WE DO - HOW, WHY AND GOING FORWARD" that you have and sit through for 2 hours pretending to look interested and smile. It'll end with a really trendy YouTube video of employees holding up signs they've written on what they need to work on for the year ahead with a backing track with a uklulele on it. He spends more on the company accounts flying around the place doing these presentations than you make in a year but you think he seems a harmless enough guy. Then you find out he got promoted to Senior Vision Communications Manger in Charge of Opportunity for his forward thinking idea of making half the workforce redundant and forcing one office to close so the other could do twice the workload for the same pay.

Icehaven

Quote from: Cursus on October 12, 2020, 09:20:33 AM

Tony Blair's government abolished the Assisted Place scheme which enabled children from poorer backgrounds to go to private school. Exactly how was that "allowing disadvantaged children to get into better jobs and education in record numbers"? It's literally the fucking opposite.

Bernice

Sure start innit, the one genuine positive policy initiative blairites can point to, and will do, over and over and over again.

Cursus

Quote from: Matt FordeI say it's a joke, but if I do the top and say the 1997–2010 government were the best days any of us will ever have so long as we live, I'm only half joking.