Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:34:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What game was this?

Started by Phil_A, October 12, 2020, 12:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify a PC FPS game I played very briefly circa 2001. The disc had a virus on it (yes, it turns out that really did happen), so I took it back to the shop and exchanged it for something else. But I now I cannot for the life of me remember what the game was, and the clues I have to go by have come up short. I know for instance it was a budget reissue on the Sold Out label, but I've checked and it doesn't seem to be listed under that publisher on mobygames. I've also scanned through the list of FPS's on there and nothing stands out.

The first stage took place in some kind of horrible hellscape world (I think the character might've been trapped in Hell and was trying to escape but I could be wrong?) a bit like the Atlantis bits of Tomb Raider 1 but gorier.

It definitely wasn't Blood, Blood II The Chosen, Painkiller or Clive Barker's Undying, although I would hazard a guess that it was contemporary with the latter in terms of graphics.  But I'm really stumped as to what it could be.

I feel certain with the amount of FPS knowledge on this board (*koff* Lemming) that someone on here will be able to tell me what this was. It's really bugging me not knowing.

Lemming

Could be Requiem: Avenging Angel? Looked over my list and it's the only thing that sounds about right.

Phil_A

Crikey, that's it! Well found. I was searching variations of "PC FPS trapped in hell" but this wasn't coming up anywhere.

Just looking at some video clips it looks bit like Half-Life meets Legacy Of Kain, basically.

basterfeldt

Ah man I hadn't thought about this game for ages! I didn't realise about the virus on the disk, makes a lot of sense based on what I remember of owning it.

madhair60

It's on GoG if you fancy a revisit

Hand Solo

Has anybody played Noita, is it any good?

I saw a clip of someone playing it without any reference a few months ago and it took me a while to find what the game was called.

Tech design lecture on the origins of the game.

Anyway it really reminded me of Exile on the Amiga, I think a demo came on Issue #3 of Amiga Power in 1990 and I played it loads as a kid but had no idea what to do as there were no instructions, from the Longplays on there now it looks like it tooks hours to complete and the puzzles were incredibly hard so I had no chance.

I remember when Worms came out on the Amiga in the mid-90s they must have got the idea from an old Freeware game I had on disk called Tanx. Though the gameplay looks embarrassingly slow compared to what came later.

There was another two player Tank game I remember later on the PC called Return Fire that had a Capture The Flag mode that was really exhilarating to play, but I can only find one 2 player example of some twats who don't know what they're doing playing it on the 3DO. I dunno if it was exactly ripped off because it's an older concept for military exercises but it's certainly the first game I saw a CTF version in and loads and loads came after it.

Then there's the old Flash game I remember playing Crush The Castle which the Angry Birds people clearly saw..

Any other newer games 'inspired' by something you played a long time before, or clear rip-offs?

MojoJojo

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 27, 2020, 02:40:11 PM
I remember when Worms came out on the Amiga in the mid-90s they must have got the idea from an old Freeware game I had on disk called Tanx. Though the gameplay looks embarrassingly slow compared to what came later.

The artillery game is one of the oldest computer game genres. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artillery_video_games

Hand Solo

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 27, 2020, 03:11:32 PM
The artillery game is one of the oldest computer game genres. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artillery_video_games

I know, it's literally the thing early computers were invented for, to work out the angle and power they needed for artillery to hit targets back in WWII, my point is I'm sure the people who made Worms got the idea from playing that particular game. Like Pong was inspired by an earlier tennis type game Tennis For Two using the same physics algorithms engineers came up with on a Oscilloscope and obviously Allan Alcorn of Atari saw it or a derivation of it and came up with Pong.

I mean Exile was probably inspired by Jetpac which I vaguely remember on the Spectrum, but it's not really a ripoff but is essentially doing the same sort of thing by with a new realistic physics engine.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Phil_A on October 12, 2020, 12:12:20 AM
The first stage took place in some kind of horrible hellscape world (I think the character might've been trapped in Hell and was trying to escape but I could be wrong?) a bit like the Atlantis bits of Tomb Raider 1 but gorier.

Definitely Madden NFL '98

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 27, 2020, 03:27:52 PM
I know, it's literally the thing early computers were invented for, to work out the angle and power they needed for artillery to hit targets back in WWII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79FVxNhrMuc