Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 08:33:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck dance, let's code

Started by Cursus, October 12, 2020, 09:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 14, 2020, 01:26:27 PM
It could well be. I've mainly used it for joining different spreadsheets together, and have bad memories of having to do a lot of googling and try a lot of different ways to do "if date A from sheet 1 < date B from sheet 2, put "true" in new column C". So not stats at all, just R as a means to a particular end, and not a means I'd use again for the same purpose.

The comparison with int/dec is something I've misremembered but which happens in SSRS. I know you should be conscious of your types, but for fuck's sake don't give me an error if I try and do 2 * 2.5 rather than 2.0 * 2.5.
You know you can reference other workbooks in excel?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 14, 2020, 02:17:49 PM
You know you can reference other workbooks in excel?

Aye, but the use case was for SQL-y type joins and unions on multiple different data sources. It's stuff that might just've about been theoretically possible in Excel, but there were too many rows so it killed my PC.

I've learned to use Tableau Prep since and gone back to the same data I wrangled with R, and the thing is a fucking miracle, and within about half an hour of first picking it up I'd done what took me ages to get up to speed with R for.

Sebastian Cobb

Fair enough. I know fuck all about using Excel as a proper spreadsheet but I did have to maintain some reporting stuff that used vba libraries and hidden sheets to connect directly to db's and do queries.

I'm quite happy to pretend I know even less than I do if it means someone else has to do it tbh. Some of the customers I worked with could do way more powerful stuff in it than any of us techies ever worked out to do, but then we had other tools at our disposal I suppose.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 14, 2020, 02:15:00 PM
I'm going to try hard to forget I ever read this.

Ha. It was to get over some shortcomings of reporting from mailing software we use at work. They can give you a sends report, an opens report, a clicks report, but not all in the same output file and not for more than a single mailing at a time. R was essentially being used to recreate the software's database tables from spreadsheets due to not having any means to query the db directly.

All goes to show that coding, like dance, can be powerfully erotic.

Hand Solo

Esther's next job could be in Auschwitz.

(she just doesn't know it yet)

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on October 13, 2020, 04:18:00 PM
Note also that the £250-odd million they're generously giving out now is a fraction of the £1.57 billion they promised earlier in the year.

They haven't - yet - said that the remainder of the £1.57 billion is off the table. The £257 million is going to organisations who applied for grants of under £1 million, so organisations who applied for more are still waiting to hear what the fuck's going to happen.

Anyway, it should be encoding.

Dex Sawash

Odd that an esoteric dance sub-conversation hasn't broken out

Think the government is right about this: dancing should NOT be encouraged under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

touchingcloth

Quote from: DistressedArea on October 15, 2020, 01:15:51 PM
Think the government is right about this: dancing should NOT be encouraged under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Agreed. What is wrong with standing by a wall holding a pint and nodding your head in time with the music like a sane person?