Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,374
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:40:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck dance, let's code

Started by Cursus, October 12, 2020, 09:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SavageHedgehog

Fatima has now been in IT for three days

She's really getting into it!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 12, 2020, 12:00:45 PM
Snap. We learnt in Java and C#, but really only for the rudiments of how algorithms work without needing to get bogged down in garbage collection and whatnot. We did a bit of assembly on 6800, but again only to get the idea of machine language across. I was annoyed that my dissertation was enforced as a piece of software, because the course hadn't taught us the methodologies in a way we could apply practically.

Yeah and some people picked lots of non-technical modules like ux/hci and business stuff to practically avoid coding entirely. I worked with some other grads like that and it was clear they were trying to use it as a springboard to being a manager. It didn't always work too well because if they were shoved into technical rokesv(which weren't always coding, many were app support) they were unable to do a good enough job to impress their managers.

Obviously things like hci/ux are really important, but not if you're not going to use them.

Fambo Number Mive

Tories and their supporters don't care that different people are suited for different jobs. When ministers are shuffled from post to post, and people like Chris Grayling can get a job with a ferry company, one can partly see why.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's divide and rule.

Most people are already in jobs that aren't their passion.

All that will happen is those people will side with the government and just assume arts will always be there, because Netflix

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 12, 2020, 12:10:41 PM
Yeah and some people picked lots of non-technical modules like ux/hci and business stuff to practically avoid coding entirely. I worked with some other grads like that and it was clear they were trying to use it as a springboard to being a manager. It didn't always work too well because if they were shoved into technical rokesv(which weren't always coding, many were app support) they were unable to do a good enough job to impress their managers.

Obviously things like hci/ux are really important, but not if you're not going to use them.

There weren't any non-technical modules to pick on my course, so you could opt to do more SQLy or assembly stuff, so it was odd that the dissertation was very specifically software.

I feel like a got a good grounding to work in a variety of tech roles, and could have spent the three years going hard on development and come out as an employable junior dev, but I don't think there are any shortcuts to either thing. "Your next job could be in cyber" is meaningless if it doesn't come alongside a "...and here's a grant to help you get through the training".

BlodwynPig

One of our guys has ported an entire digital raft using the Boglin89 Framework, which is so outdated it make ThreeCan look like Original Tron level futuristic. I told the dpp that hsi were looking to mfk the disdot, but he was having nothing of IT ;)))) 

Icehaven

Do they honestly think most people are going to see that ad and think "Wow, so you can train for years in one field you actually want to work in then do a 180 and spend years retraining in something completely different that you'd never even considered before? Sounds great." and not "Train for years in one field then be forced to go and do something completely different that you don't particularly want to do because your industry has been decimated? Sounds shite."?

olliebean

The image seems to be advertising the "Cyber First" campaign, which is "a programme of opportunities to help young people aged 11 - 17 years explore their passion for tech by introducing them to the fast paced world of cyber security."

So it's not about retraining, despite using the word "reskill." It's about persuading teenagers to give up on their dreams and train to be cyber-snoops instead.

bgmnts

"I was born in Preston, but I was made in the British Cyber Army."

Captain Z

CyberFist: proud member of the ThoughtControl family - an EvilCorp subsidiary.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 12, 2020, 11:14:14 AM
Not sure if "she doesn't know it yet" is more patronising or sinister.

Thought that too. Sounds quite sinister, like way a mafia don would talk to his cronies about how a local baker is going to have a new business partner soon, but just "doesn't know it yet, hur hur hur"

Fambo Number Mive

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has called the advert "crass", saying it did not come from his department. I don't think anyone had thought it came from his department though.

Thomas

Gradually preparing us all for a post-Brexit annihilation of anything vaguely 'arty', with the exception of Captain Tom merchandise and the 2022 'a golliwog in every window' campaign.

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on October 12, 2020, 01:51:12 PM
The image seems to be advertising the "Cyber First" campaign, which is "a programme of opportunities to help young people aged 11 - 17 years explore their passion for tech by introducing them to the fast paced world of cyber security."

So it's not about retraining, despite using the word "reskill." It's about persuading teenagers to give up on their dreams and train to be cyber-snoops instead.

Yes, so it's really "Fatima's first job will be cyber, the deluded would-be dancer. REBOOT YOUR DREAMS, CHILD, it's high time you learnt how the world really works."

Johnny Yesno

As well as being actually evil, this lot are fucking philistines. They don't have the first idea how much training and passion goes into being a dancer. Or any kind of artist, for that matter. They might work hard for periods of their life but they never actually dedicate their life to perfecting any skill except the skill of being a top tier cunt.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 12, 2020, 07:47:21 PM
they never actually dedicate their life to perfecting any skill except the skill of being a top tier cunt.

Wrong.

That also comes effortlessly to them.

imitationleather

When I was growing up my estate was so rough the only way we could ever dream of leaving was either in ballet shoes or a bodybag.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 12, 2020, 07:47:21 PM
As well as being actually evil, this lot are fucking philistines. They don't have the first idea how much training and passion goes into being a dancer. Or any kind of artist, for that matter. They might work hard for periods of their life but they never actually dedicate their life to perfecting any skill except the skill of being a top tier cunt.

I resent the idea that I might not be as passionate as a ballerina.

Norton Canes

Sebastian Cobb

Unlucky ballerina's, the boomers want to see tanks.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 13, 2020, 02:18:47 PM

Jesus. Theatre clients of ours have been emailing about their funding coming through, but the biggest amount I've seen so far has been 500k.

Fambo Number Mive

Is that in case the Army runs out of tanks to put on the streets post Brexit?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 13, 2020, 02:30:40 PM
Jesus. Theatre clients of ours have been emailing about their funding coming through, but the biggest amount I've seen so far has been 500k.

Potentially decades of hard graft outdone by some cunt driving over a car.

olliebean

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 13, 2020, 02:18:47 PM

Note that anyone receiving money from this fund has to post a public acknowledgement and thanks such as this as a condition of receiving it.

Sebastian Cobb

One of my mates used to work for a mining firm in Senegal. They were legally obliged to set up funds and spend it on the local communities, an exchange for stealing their resources I guess. Anyway, they were fine with getting ripped off by corrupt bastards charging an order of magnitude too much to build something like a well because it was an order of magnitude less administration for them to sort out one overpriced well over 10 Wells.

I wonder if this is something like that. They don't mind pissing it up the wall as long as it makes it look like they're not allowing the arts to fail.

olliebean

Note also that the £250-odd million they're generously giving out now is a fraction of the £1.57 billion they promised earlier in the year.

Zetetic

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 13, 2020, 02:30:40 PM
the biggest amount I've seen so far has been 500k.
Right, but who wants to see a tank that only cost £500k?

You'd struggle to get a new Leopard 2 or Challenger 2 for under £3 million, I'd guess.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Zetetic on October 13, 2020, 05:55:27 PM
Right, but who wants to see a tank that only cost £500k?

You'd struggle to get a new Leopard 2 or Challenger 2 for under £3 million, I'd guess.

You'd feel cheated if you went to the tank museum and all they had were knew tanks.

Actually, if you were the type of person who likes a tank museum you probably wouldn't feel cheated. You'd feel horny. Come here, sexy tank, let me fuck your turret.

Zetetic

Pictured dance school taking legal advice.

https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/1316074700792094722

(But probably not on to anything.)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on October 13, 2020, 06:57:46 PM
Pictured dance school taking legal advice.

https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/1316074700792094722

(But probably not on to anything.)

This is what I saw earlier: