Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:36:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

People who say they like the weapon breaking in BOTW

Started by madhair60, October 12, 2020, 06:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I don't believe you. Straight up. You're lying, and I'm trying to figure out why. There's no way anyone could possibly think it's fun to constantly lose your weapon. Why would you lie like this? Nintendo don't need your lies.

bgmnts

I dont really like any element of challenge in my game whatsoever tbh.

I just wanna press a button that says complete and the game ends and I get 1000 gamerscore.

Thursday

My boring opinion as I've said before is that weapon durability is good, but weapons do break too quickly.

But what I think weapon durability achieves is.

Adds tension to battles knowing you might not be able to rely on your best weapon forever
Gives extra incentive to explore, because if you had weapons that never broke you wouldn't really need to.
It means difficulty is easier to balance and the game doesn't need any overly complex RPG levelling system - It doesn't matter if you find one of the most powerful weapons in the game early, as it won't trivialise the rest of the game because it won't last forever.

It's not a perfect system, it can be annoying, but a lack of weapon durability would create other problems.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on October 12, 2020, 06:22:29 PM
I dont really like any element of challenge in my game whatsoever tbh.

I just wanna press a button that says complete and the game ends and I get 1000 gamerscore.

I feel like this may a false equivalence

Cos it's big boy Nintendo's perfect open world game that shits all over that Ubisoft trash. I wouldn't know, I played it for 5 minutes and then got back to possessing dinosaurs in Mario Odyssey.

The problem is that the more advanced and rare items you get later in the game are just as brittle as the beginner swords and spears. I do like the weapon durability idea in theory though.

Kelvin

Its not that i think the weapon breaking is good, so much as there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Its just a perfectly fine mechanic in the game. No idiot could ever run out of weapons past the first hour, there are hundreds of them around, every enemy drops one, they're in every shrine and chest, the terrain is a weapon, literally the only downside is if you want to keep using a favourite. But then that's exactly what the mechanic is designed to avoid. That, and to encourage you to use the enviromental attacks more. 

It does need a quick drop option, or something similar, though.

Kelvin

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 12, 2020, 08:12:13 PM
The problem is that the more advanced and rare items you get later in the game are just as brittle as the beginner swords and spears. I do like the weapon durability idea in theory though.

Thats literally not true. Later weapons, bar the black weapons you get in the castle, are almost all more durable than early weapons. Try fighting a high ranked bokoblin with a travellers sword and a royal sword and the difference is obvious.

madhair60

the annoying thing is this system keeps me from liking BOTW as much as I wish I could, but also I can't think of a way to replace it that wouldn't destroy the game.

Chedney Honks

This game is a mirror to the soul.

If you can't accept the weapon durability, you probably 100% got separation anxiety, attachment disorder, etc.

Meditate on the impermanence of life.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on October 12, 2020, 10:03:50 PM
the annoying thing is this system keeps me from liking BOTW as much as I wish I could, but also I can't think of a way to replace it that wouldn't destroy the game.

What is it about the weapon breaking that you dont like?

Kelvin

The thing is, it's not like some games, where you can potentially get deep into an area and then realise your main weapon is about to break and without it, you're fucked and will have to backtrack.

It's more akin to ammo in an FPS. The ammo/weapons are so insanely plentiful that the fact you have to reload/lose a weapon is basically just an added layer of tension, rather than a real inconvenience. And the fact you lost explosive shells/a cool boomerang isn't a big deal, because there's always some more a few minutes away.

Kelvin

Thursday

If Alfred Chicken had weapon breaking, Madhair would like it.

Sin Agog

All that needless smelting must add to the world's carbon footprint somewhat.

jobotic

I've got me a Royal Guard's Claymore with boosted Attack Power of 87.

It's also got a durability of 15 and warns you that it's too fragile for battle.

yeah, cheers.

Kelvin

Quote from: jobotic on October 13, 2020, 11:12:24 AM
I've got me a Royal Guard's Claymore with boosted Attack Power of 87.

It's also got a durability of 15 and warns you that it's too fragile for battle.

yeah, cheers.

Those are the black weapons I mentioned upthread. They're incredibly powerful, but shatter incredibly quickly - the in-universe explanation is that they're failed attempts to emulate the Master Sword, etc, as shown in their designs. That's their gimmick, and it's true of that one type of weaponry. Try any of the Royal weapons and they'll be powerful and (relatively) long lasting. The weapons built by Robbie even more so. 

Kelvin

I just think the whole argument is built on nonsense, and my own hot take is that no-one who moans about it has actually been inconvenienced by the durability mechanic*. They're just anxious about the possibility of being inconvenienced.

* The possible exceptions being right at the start of the game, or if you took on a very high level enemy with low level weapons.

Dog Botherer

yeah the late game weapons last much longer. i spent a couple of hours hunting Lynels and came out with enough OP bows to last several weeks of gameplay. between them and an Ancient Bow i never really had to worry about weapons. also one of the towers has a Royal Claymore drop on it's roof and it refreshes insanely fast.

did hold on to a 120something damage Lynel club thing for ages though. OP as fuck.

jobotic

Dog Botherer

Quote from: jobotic on October 13, 2020, 04:00:36 PM
Haven't come close to killing a Lynel yet.

food n fairies mate. few 30+ damage weapons, take a run at the red cunts first. be grand.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I get more annoyed by having to wait for it to stop raining before I can climb anything.

jobotic

Quote from: Dog Botherer on October 13, 2020, 04:03:13 PM
food n fairies mate. few 30+ damage weapons, take a run at the red cunts first. be grand.

I'll do it.

The worst thing was that shrine where you have to
Spoiler alert
wait for a blood moon and then stand there with no clothes on
[close]
. Kept sitting by the fire, must have taken about twenty days for
Spoiler alert
a blood moon to come along.
[close]

The weapons breaking didn't bother me at all in the early/middle stages, as mentioned, it was like ammo to me and always replenished.

The problem I'm finding is being pushed into grinding/foraging and spending unnecessary game hours doing repetitive tasks such as going to areas and waiting for a respawn and then defeating all of the post-blood moon respawn enemies just to get a weapon that you need later in the game and that will inevitably break too. This wasn't a problem earlier in the game as you're always discovering new areas for the first time and finding new amazing weapons and continually upgrading, so you've got a surplus and have the element of discovery, same with the shrines, you end up fighting guardians and taking their ancient weapons frequently enough that you've always got some in supply.

However when you've done most of the readily accessible shrines you end up having to first find guardians in the wild and kill a bunch while saving up rupees so you can then make it to Akkala and buy ancient gear from them.

It just seems like quite a slog when you've already been to these areas a lot of times and there's a chain of game admin you have to do before you can get them again, whereas earlier in the game it comes naturally as part of the discovery process.

Still love the game and obsessed with it but think that part is tedious.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 13, 2020, 05:03:17 PM
I get more annoyed by having to wait for it to stop raining before I can climb anything.

you can do it, it's just tedious. Link slides on the 4th upward movement, just jump to cancel out the sliding. stamina intensive, but i maxed out stamina early for a reason.

Quote from: thelittlemango on October 13, 2020, 05:21:25 PM

finding the Giant Ancient Cores is the real fucker. you have to really work on those Guardian hunts too, i basically gave up using Ancient Arrows because of the lack of loot drops.

Quote from: jobotic on October 13, 2020, 05:10:44 PM
I'll do it.

The worst thing was that shrine where you have to
Spoiler alert
wait for a blood moon and then stand there with no clothes on
[close]
. Kept sitting by the fire, must have taken about twenty days for
Spoiler alert
a blood moon to come along.
[close]

i'm fairly sure the likelihood of a blood moon is directly tied to how many monsters you've cunted. should've gone on a murder spree.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on October 13, 2020, 11:39:49 AM
I just think the whole argument is built on nonsense, and my own hot take is that no-one who moans about it has actually been inconvenienced by the durability mechanic*. They're just anxious about the possibility of being inconvenienced.

* The possible exceptions being right at the start of the game, or if you took on a very high level enemy with low level weapons.

I think ducking into the menu every half minute is a bit irritating. And yeah it was early game as I never progressed to the mid or late game due to not enjoying it a lot

colacentral

You don't need to open the main menu to get the next weapon out.

Dog Botherer

can always just chuck the weapon too, it's basically the same as a quick drop

can't do it for bows and shields but they tend to break less often than melee weapons

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Isn't there quick weapon selection on the d pad? Good Lord.