Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:41:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[Muso] Which methods/software do you use for Sound Design?

Started by the, October 12, 2020, 06:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Just thought I'd throw this out, as it's a big subject with a different objectives for different people.

I've recently found myself wanting to give the types of sounds I use more texture and mutative detail.

I think I'd probably prefer to view this kind of sound design as an 'offline' process - then loading the sounds I've made into sampler instruments and using them from there. (Most of my music is built up from sampling rather than synthesis anyway.)

I have dabbled with Soundshaper (which provides a GUI for the CDP's range of command-line DSP effects). You can get great results but it's SO open-ended that I can't get into it, there's just too much trial and error involved when you start dabbling. I'd love it if there was a 101 video demonstrating the kind of sonic effect that each DSP process gives, as a starting point. (I also struggle with not being able to audition the patch from the same screen where you're currently adjusting the parameters.)

Just interested to find out what you do sound design wise, and why you do it. (And any info to make it more accessible would be a bonus.)