Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:57:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worth spending 3 grand on a new laptop because not so old laptop has broken keys

Started by BlodwynPig, October 12, 2020, 06:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Mid-2017 Mac book pro, all in working order but one by one the keys have gone wobbly and either broken or are sellotaped down as after lockdown I have not gone into town and don't intend to take the risk to visit the apple store and get them replaced.

Its a bit annoying now as I can still type, but the T is starting to loosen and give gyp.

I had a look at a new Mac Book Pro with some extra capacity, a tad over 3 grand. I'm seriously thinking about it, but I've just put some music related stickers on this one and don't want to resign it already to history. With the Government sending me a fully loaded spy laptop soon, I'll be welded to that for at least the next 2 or 3 months apart from weekends, so maybe I should wait.

What do you reckon?*

*Just wanting abuse really.

Fr.Bigley

You're a fucking mug for blowing 3k notes on a whirly machine mate. Just get your local smackhead to nick you one.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on October 12, 2020, 06:55:31 PM
You're a fucking mug for blowing 3k notes on a whirly machine mate. Just get your local smackhead to nick you one.

No, won't give him the satisfaction.

Fr.Bigley

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on October 12, 2020, 06:56:21 PM
She might be busy making you sunday dinner though..dunno.

let me rot with the dirt, not in a casket of hurt

Cuellar

Knackered a 2.5 year old laptop?

I am typing this on a PRISTINE mid-2012 macbook air.

I'd advise buying something CHEAP and REPLACEABLE you LUMMOX

sorry

bgmnts

Quote from: Cuellar on October 12, 2020, 06:58:58 PM
Knackered a 2.5 year old laptop?

I am typing this on a PRISTINE mid-2012 macbook air.

I'd advise buying something CHEAP and REPLACEABLE you LUMMOX

sorry

Mid 2017-late 2020 = 2.5 years?

U wot mate?

Cuellar

Ferris

My Dell XPS laptop has been dead good. It's probably 2 or 3 years old at the point and shows no signs of slowing down.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on October 12, 2020, 07:05:20 PM
I'm careful with my laptops, not numbers, poindexter

I do lots of typing. The machine works fine. Not going cheap, but happy to hear about better specs. Could do go unix I suppose.

NoSleep

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 12, 2020, 06:49:14 PM
Mid-2017 Mac book pro, all in working order but one by one the keys have gone wobbly and either broken or are sellotaped down as after lockdown I have not gone into town and don't intend to take the risk to visit the apple store and get them replaced.

Its a bit annoying now as I can still type, but the T is starting to loosen and give gyp.

I had a look at a new Mac Book Pro with some extra capacity, a tad over 3 grand. I'm seriously thinking about it, but I've just put some music related stickers on this one and don't want to resign it already to history. With the Government sending me a fully loaded spy laptop soon, I'll be welded to that for at least the next 2 or 3 months apart from weekends, so maybe I should wait.

What do you reckon?*

*Just wanting abuse really.

Just get an external keyboard. Don't spend a fortune on an Apple one either. There'll be a couple of keys that get swapped around (@ & ") and another two that you can reassign (alt & cmd) in system preferences but tolerable for the massive saving. I'm using an old PC line USB keyboard with my desktop that cost me a fiver in a sale in either Curry's or Dixon's. Bought a couple of spares that I haven't needed and its outlived several Macs in that time.

Dr Rock

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 12, 2020, 07:17:40 PM
Close the thread. ffs.

It's a good answer, but I'm actually looking to make the worst choice that results in the best result at the biggest cost.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 12, 2020, 07:22:33 PM
It's a good answer, but I'm actually looking to make the worst choice that results in the best result at the biggest cost.

Give me 2900 quid then buy an external keyboard.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 12, 2020, 07:34:43 PM
Give me 2900 quid then buy an external keyboard.

results in the best result.

I should have said results in the absolute destruction of FerrishWheelBueller.

What is the most expensive laptop?

BlodwynPig

Actually most powerful is the one I am after

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) The most powerful MacBook ever.

imitationleather

This is so spooky. My 2015 MacBook went bump last night.

Having to use my phone for everything. I do not dig this.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on October 12, 2020, 07:41:24 PM
This is so spooky. My 2015 MacBook went bump last night.

Having to use my phone for everything. I do not dig this.

360 quid for my old one (trade in price).

Spoiler alert
+ 3200 quid for a new one
[close]

Mister Six

Just don't get a Mac, you fucking plum. I generally use Windows laptops from Dell. None of them have cost much more than $1,000 (and that's for a fancy one that can run games) and each one has lasted me five years at least. And all can be fixed up for cheaper than a Mac. I could even swap out some of the components if I could be arsed (I can't).

Cuellar

Macs are good actually. As I say, I've been using this one for about 8.5 years (I think). And it's fine. I put a new battery in it about 5 years ago, which cost me £30 and was ludicrously simple considering the Apple store were going to charge me £100 for it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mister Six on October 12, 2020, 08:24:25 PM
Just don't get a Mac, you fucking plum. I generally use Windows laptops from Dell. None of them have cost much more than $1,000 (and that's for a fancy one that can run games) and each one has lasted me five years at least. And all can be fixed up for cheaper than a Mac. I could even swap out some of the components if I could be arsed (I can't).

Yeh, as Cuellar said, Macs can be useful. Windows is an awful OS from what I've seen. Although I did use XP until about 2015. A unix build would be fine too, but I'd want to retain a Mac. So 3200 on a Mac and 1000 on a unix machine with all the bits and bobs? yeh?

chveik

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 12, 2020, 07:38:32 PM
results in the best result.

I should have said results in the absolute destruction of FerrishWheelBueller.

:'(

BlodwynPig

gib

If you were a hardcore gamer that liked gaming on a laptop and wanted to see all the latest games run on the highest settings then i'd say go for it. I could see how it really could make you happy.

But i suspect you are not that gamer Blodwyn. So what exactly is your motivation? Wonky buttons doesn't cut it mate, is it to impress the big boys at work?

chveik

if you want to make terrible decisions, there's always crack cocaine available

Mr_Simnock

Just a couple questions. Does this absolutely have to be a laptop? In another thread where this is mentioned you talk about number crunching, is this still a requirement or is it just for personal use? There must be better alternatives to spending 3,000 on a lifestyle laptop.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on October 12, 2020, 11:00:29 PM
Just a couple questions. Does this absolutely have to be a laptop? In another thread where this is mentioned you talk about number crunching, is this still a requirement or is it just for personal use? There must be better alternatives to spending 3,000 on a lifestyle laptop.

How do you help a man who asks for help but doesnt want to be helped

Its a happy nihilism. The comfort and burden of riches. Betwixt ruin and salvation.

In dither words, impulse purchase

Ps. Not a lifestyle choice, i do my work on it. But maybe not dent the house deposit on something that is not absolutely necessary... but will a house ever surface?

Mr_Simnock

So is this thread just a bit of whimsy? There's me chucking together a desktop PC that should comfortably out perform the laptop for 2,500, although I do love going on scan at times and building systems from components.