Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:25:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Culture Recovery Fund recipients

Started by Fambo Number Mive, October 13, 2020, 03:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

You can see the spreadsheet of who got what grants under £1m here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H3S-0cFgFEUrOX3TVamsTnKtDVo3M3ND0Xp7n5OF3T8/htmlview?pru=AAABdUZSvnA*Wgv71WduLklmz_NmLq_paw

via @danwalker

Secret Cinema got £977k, whilst Ministry of Sound got £997k. Perhaps Oliver Dowden thinks the Ministry of Sound are a government department.

London got the largest amount of money.

jobotic

Really pleased that Ramsgate Music Hall think they can survive until April now. Why has it taken so long? I'm sure there are places that have shut down when perhaps they didn't need to.

Fambo Number Mive

They are advertising gigs as early as 4th November. I didn't realise gigs were happening again.

jobotic

Scotland and Wales got one each? Presumably they have their own funds?

I think gigs earlier in the year got optimistically pencilled in for the end of 2020 but they won't happen.

Zetetic

idunnosomename

they should restart Secret Cinema immediately so all the biggest wankers in London to go to it to dress up as the Goonies or whatever and all catch COVID and die

jobotic

Apparently The Lexington got 40% of what they asked for and are still fucked.

Sebastian Cobb

Surprised to hear MOS are still going, I thought they were treading water with rehashed compilations 10+ years ago.

kittens

thankfully i've been awarded a small grant of £300,000 so i can continue posting on here

bgmnts

Quote from: jobotic on October 13, 2020, 03:32:49 PM
Scotland and Wales got one each? Presumably they have their own funds?

Yeah that made me laugh quite heartily.

buzby

Quote from: Zetetic on October 13, 2020, 06:02:31 PM
Any idea what this company actually does?

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10193401
One of the two directors was reported as being the manager of Central Station music venue and the South Central and Yales cafe bars. The same two blokes are also listed as directors of Inspirit Bars which owned the Live Rooms venues in Chester and Wrexham (the one in Wrexham was originally the Central Station nightclub until 2018, and it closed down in February 2019). I'm guessing the CS refers to Central Station and LR refers to Live Rooms. The same bloke was also reported as the manager of Yales Cafe Bar when it got caught playing music without a PRS licence in 2014.

He and his wife also owns the Guildhall Tavern hotel/restaurant in Denbigh, which may be why he resigned in 2018. He also has a few dissolved companies behind him involved in the pub & club scene in Chester & Wrexham.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Zetetic on October 13, 2020, 06:02:31 PM
Any idea what this company actually does?

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10193401

Can't find anything on them except that they seem to be located in an industrial estate: https://opengovuk.com/company?address=25+GROSVENOR+ROAD

What made you home in on them?

Edit: blimey, Buzby. How did you do that?

buzby

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 14, 2020, 08:24:28 AM
Can't find anything on them except that they seem to be located in an industrial estate: https://opengovuk.com/company?address=25+GROSVENOR+ROAD

What made you home in on them?

Edit: blimey, Buzby. How did you do that?
It's what I do, sir.
It's not an industrial estate, it's an old Victorian townhouse on the Wrexham inner ring road/bypass. It's the address of M.D. Coxey's chartered accountants and auditors and Business Essentials bookkeepers. One of the services they offer is company registration and administration - there are loads of companies registered to that address (it also means the directors can keep their home addresses off the public record).

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: buzby on October 14, 2020, 08:45:48 AM
It's what I do, sir.
It's not an industrial estate, it's an old Victorian townhouse on the Wrexham inner ring road/bypass. It's the address of M.D. Coxey's chartered accountants and auditors and Business Essentials bookkeepers. One of the services they offer is company registration and administration - there are loads of companies registered to that address (it also means the directors can keep their home addresses off the public record).

All that stuff about how bridges and phones and guns work totally put me off the scent with regards to working out that what you actually do is expose how dodgy businesspeople work. I guess a crimefighter needs to be able to hack phones, shoot bad guys and, er, drive over bridges.

Johnny Yesno

Overactive imagination apart, that is interesting. I noticed all those businesses registered there and imagined it must be bigger.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 13, 2020, 03:06:25 PM
London got the largest amount of money.

The government don't understand that there is life outside of London.

Fr.Bigley

Apparantly, all organisations that have received The Culture Recovery Fund are required to THANK the government for the bail out. What the actual fuck is that all about!

https://twitter.com/ArtsPro/status/1316313043861606401

bgmnts

Thank your fascist masters you dogs.

Sebastian Cobb

Looks like some people are kicking off about Boiler Room getting 700k despite the fact they've never paid dj's to perform.

Also some stuff about them muscling in on Notting Hill Carnival.
https://colouringinculture.org/blog/boilerroom/

Non Stop Dancer

Resident Advisor got a similar amount, and they're what a listings a reviews site.

Something I fucking hate about Boiler Room even without knowing they don't pay people.

Sebastian Cobb

peanutbutter

I'd say keeping RA afloat is reasonably important to getting clubs and shit back remotely strong after all this, just to leave them with a bit of infrastructure to promote shit if nothing else.

Secret Cinema is a total fucking disgrace though, I can see how with the right connections they'd be able to con their way to that money as something that seems fresh and novel and really important but it's one of the biggest pieces of shit for cunts I've seen in my time in London
Hell, even with ministry of sound I can kind of justify it in that it maybe once meant something.

steveh

Having relatives involved with arts organisations, would say that public arts funding success is usually less direct connections with funders than having people with the skills to complete the funding application in the right way. That tends to exclude those groups who don't have access to the network of people that have done it before so you get safe things getting funded over more interesting but less good with the paperwork ones.

Zetetic

Quote from: buzby on October 14, 2020, 08:16:57 AM
One of the two directors was reported as being the manager of Central Station music venue and the South Central and Yales cafe bars....

Cheers. I'd got the impression it was basically "own clubs and bars".

petercussing

Quote from: steveh on October 19, 2020, 06:12:43 PM
Having relatives involved with arts organisations, would say that public arts funding success is usually less direct connections with funders than having people with the skills to complete the funding application in the right way. That tends to exclude those groups who don't have access to the network of people that have done it before so you get safe things getting funded over more interesting but less good with the paperwork ones.

I was gonna say this. It's true, speaking as some who has lot of experience with grant bid. Bigger firms tend to either have accountants or business coaches, or even straight up bid writers on staff if they source a lot of funding from grants that can help hugely in getting this funding. That's not to say there isn't any string pulling or favoured businesses, but experience and resources to help with grant apps is amazingly useful for accessing these.

Aaron500

Bid writing/funding applications is Mrs 500's line of work.

I find it mind-numbingly boring, but it is rather lucrative and it's amazing how many people will fail to fill in a form correctly, or will get the name of their own company wrong (i.e. use their trading name rather than their companies house registration), or will apply for stuff they're not eligible for, or just be total fuckwits.
She uses a creative/bent accountant to try and make a company's rank insolvency look like a profitable enterprise.

I occasionally help out when some narrative is required as I'm good at copy writing/bullshitting. But yes, the small people who actually need the funding are usually overlooked in favour of the big boys who employ people for the sole purpose of hoovering up the free cash.

Quisby

I think this was the maybe the first time ACE have supported comedy clubs. Up The Creek and others got funding. Although the Frog and Bucket in Manchester got rejected for not being "culturally significant". Difficult to work that out given they've supported Peter Kay, Caroline Aherne, Steve Coogan and John Bishop among others at early stages in their career. Is it because the panel didn't think that was significant, was it something to do with a smaller allocation of funds to the North or was it just because Frog and Bucket didn't sell themselves well enough in the application?

peanutbutter

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 19, 2020, 05:36:59 PM
I'd say keeping RA afloat is reasonably important to getting clubs and shit back remotely strong after all this, just to leave them with a bit of infrastructure to promote shit if nothing else.

Seeing quite a massive amount of backlash online to this one, am I just totally missing something or is it people looking directly at the 700k and thinking it should have gone to printworks or wherever instead of looking at the whole fund?