Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:54:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dinosaurs

Started by bgmnts, October 13, 2020, 04:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the king of the dinos?

Tyrannosaurus
12 (31.6%)
Stegosaurus
2 (5.3%)
Diplodocus
2 (5.3%)
Ankylosaurus
7 (18.4%)
Brachiosaurus
0 (0%)
Triceratops
6 (15.8%)
Pterosaurs
1 (2.6%)
Velociraptor
2 (5.3%)
Yourmumosaurus
5 (13.2%)
Saurusmcsaurusyface
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Sherringford Hovis

Cerys

The Ladybird book of dinosaurs we had when I was a kid had a picture of an ankylosaurus but nothing in the picture to suggest scale.  The thing could have been a fucking kaiju for all I knew.  Or a slightly hench woodlouse.  Silly Ladybird book with its lack of a handy ten p piece.

bgmnts

That's what I never understood about Jurassic Park, surely the most profitable avenue for Hammond would have been dinos for military use?

Imagine a squad of ankylosaurs? Walking tanks with a massive flail attached.

steve98

Interestingly there's no Ladybird Book Of Ladybirds (although there is a Field Guide To The Ladybirds Of Great Britain (And there's loads of them). So, there you are).

touchingcloth

If I ever saw a dinosaur, I'd chin the cunt.

touchingcloth

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 14, 2020, 09:20:13 AM
If I ever saw a dinosaur, I'd chin the cunt.

I've just been informed that birds are dinosaurs, so I chinned the local pigeon, the chip-guzzling cunt. Don't give a shit if he's "only got one leg" and "entertains all who see him - young and old alike - with his plucky resolve and good nature in spite of his situation."

Chinned.

The Mollusk

Imagine looking and presumably being this stupid.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Cerys on October 14, 2020, 08:50:26 AM
The Ladybird book of dinosaurs we had when I was a kid had a picture of an ankylosaurus but nothing in the picture to suggest scale.  The thing could have been a fucking kaiju for all I knew.  Or a slightly hench woodlouse.  Silly Ladybird book with its lack of a handy ten p piece.

They didn't have ten p pieces in the days of dinosaurs. They'd have had to use a groat, and people today don't know how big a groat is so they decided not to bother because it wouldn't have been very helpful.

There's an exhibition at the Horniman Museum in London at the moment about the Permian epoch, and this superb piece of anamatronics is one of the exhibits:

They claim that the exhibits aren't dinosaurs, but look at that! That's about as dinosaury as it gets.

steve98

Why's the segmented flatworm gold? Permian segmented flatworms weren't gold coloured, they were muddy dun (see pic). You wouldn't last long as a gold coloured flatworm ("EAT ME"). Apart from that it all looks great. 4 out of 5.

And before anyone says - O yeah, and why should anyone listen to you on flatworms? who the hell are you? The author of The Ladybird Book Of Permian Segmented Flatworms or summat? Yes, I am (The co-author)

idunnosomename

"He's my friend and a whole lot more"

Does this imply the speaker is having a sexual relationship with Denver the Last Dinosaur?

Utter Shit

Are there more dinosaurs about these days or what? When I was a kid I only knew a handful - T-Rex, raptor, stegosaurus, triceratops, flying one, diplodocus, brontosaurus. That was pretty much it. My 3-year old is obsessed with dinosaurs and suddenly there are absolutely fucking loads, like LOADS. Have they only been discovered in the last thirty years, or is he just much more into them than I was?

bgmnts

Brontosaurus is #cancelled.

Butchers Blind

Which were the best dinosaurs, stop motion ones or CGI ones?

frajer

I like the skeleton ones they have. Bet they gave all the other dinos a good fright back in the day!

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: steve98 on October 14, 2020, 10:11:07 AM
The Ladybird Book Of Permian Segmented Flatworms

Hazeley and Morris are really running short of ideas.

Thomas

Quote from: bgmnts on October 14, 2020, 10:59:29 AM
Brontosaurus is #cancelled.

As I learned from someone on here a while back, Brontosaurus has been tentatively uncancelled.

The Mollusk

Dinosaurs are to the evolution of earth's creatures what Jar Jar Binks is to Star Wars. Great lolloping fucking idiots and probably racist.

Actually all evolution is just preemptive proto-racism isn't it? Doing a ham-fisted and offensive impersonation of stuff you can't be arsed to try and understand because secretly you know it's better than you. And of course everyone's glad to see the back of dinosaurs and we wouldn't invite them back if we had the chance, except to keep them in cages and laugh at them like in those films.

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 14, 2020, 09:42:16 AM

HURRRR LOOK AT ME GUYS I DON'T KNOW WHAT BIRDS ARE BUT I BET IF THEY EXISTED THEY'D ACT LIKE THIS DURRRR

I've not been sleeping too well these last few nights.

jobotic

I liked Dimetrodon when I was a youth. They're not dinosaurs either.

Anyway pre-historic mammals are where its at.

idunnosomename

I love all dinosaurs! Theropods, ornithiopods, sauropods

course, they're all sauropods by the time I'm finished with them

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 14, 2020, 12:45:54 AM
As a kid in the 70's none of my dinosaur books ever mentioned the word raptor.  I'd never even heard of that word until Jurassic Park.

Never listened to Blondie then......

NoSleep

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 14, 2020, 10:56:28 AM
Are there more dinosaurs about these days or what? When I was a kid I only knew a handful - T-Rex, raptor, stegosaurus, triceratops, flying one, diplodocus, brontosaurus. That was pretty much it. My 3-year old is obsessed with dinosaurs and suddenly there are absolutely fucking loads, like LOADS. Have they only been discovered in the last thirty years, or is he just much more into them than I was?

I was into dinosaurs and had sent off for a Canadian album of cards (via PG Tips) in the 60's and there were definitely more than 7 cards. Somebody's selling the full set on ebay at the moment (says they were produced in '63 and there's 50 cards on display):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274086086071?var=0

What has mostly changed is the idea of what kind of animals they were. At that time they were still viewed as sluggish giant lizards for the best part. The dinosaur park at Crystal Palace, built in the 1850's, has them looking even more sluggish and lizard-like and even stuck the iguanodon on four legs and its thumb on the end of its nose.

bgmnts

Ha they look very Ray Harryhausen I love it!

Is it a bit weird to be into dinos as an adult?

Fr.Bigley

No one has said delicious chicken yet.

Icehaven

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 14, 2020, 09:44:59 AM

They claim that the exhibits aren't dinosaurs...

The fuck are they then, giant angry parrots?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: icehaven on October 15, 2020, 03:01:12 PM

Where'd you find my ex wife?!

idunnosomename

Quote from: icehaven on October 15, 2020, 03:01:12 PM
what distinguishes dinosaurs from other reptiles before or since is the way their legs work. If the legs jut out at the side like a crocodile or lizard, they aren't a dinosaur

Key to their success this

bgmnts

But crocs and lizards are still around today. Needless to say, they had the last laugh.

NoSleep

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 14, 2020, 09:44:59 AM

They claim that the exhibits aren't dinosaurs, but look at that! That's about as dinosaury as it gets.

It's only the head that is dinosaur-like.

One of the things about evolution is how it can independently arrive at the same solution (again and again) to fill a place in an ecosystem. One example of this is the ancestors of whales, which were effectively a mammalian variation on crocodiles.

Poobum

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 15, 2020, 03:12:03 PM
what distinguishes dinosaurs from other reptiles before or since is the way their legs work. If the legs jut out at the side like a crocodile or lizard, they aren't a dinosaur

Key to their success this

More accurate to say that archosaurs evolved the upright gait, as lots on dinosauromorphs and early crocodiles possessed it, modern crocs actually adapted back to a sprawling gait which is slightly different from lizards.

Also to add to convergent evolution, the croc shape comes up again and again, from phytosaurs

to amphibians like Platyoposaurus

S'just a good shape.

Fr.Bigley