Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

360 photo taking/sharing app

Started by Ferris, October 14, 2020, 10:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

With the demise of cardboard camera, I haven't found a good way to take and share 360 photos with people.

I'm going to do an inspection of our new gaff today and everyone under the sun is asking for photos. I'd like to be able to take and share some 360 photos so they can get a better feel for the place - obviously with covid no one else can come to the inspection with us (not to mention friends and family who live far away) so this is the next best thing.

I'm happy to pay for the service if it's half decent. Any suggestions?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 14, 2020, 10:44:38 AM
With the demise of cardboard camera, I haven't found a good way to take and share 360 photos with people.

I'm going to do an inspection of our new gaff today and everyone under the sun is asking for photos. I'd like to be able to take and share some 360 photos so they can get a better feel for the place - obviously with covid no one else can come to the inspection with us (not to mention friends and family who live far away) so this is the next best thing.

I'm happy to pay for the service if it's half decent. Any suggestions?

What phone do you have? It may be inbuilt.

edit: Google Streetview will do it https://panoraven.com/blog/en/how-to-take-360-images-with-a-smartphone/

Ferris

I'm an Apple twat, so iOS is a requirement.

You're absolutely right on Streetview (I think they got rid of cardboard camera to force people to provide content for google's app if they want the functionality make everyone's life easier), but you can't share the fuckers.

Your options are "post" ie stick em up on the web so everyone can see my son's bedroom and the basement where I get up to my dark desires, or keep em private which defeats the purpose. The image melding is dead impressive though, I had a go with it the other day to test the functionality.

I'll likely just go with that in tandem with normal photos so all and sundry can have a 360 look if I'm with them in person, and gawp at the 2D photos like it's 2008 if they aren't in the same room as me.

Ferris

It all feels like a massive step backwards though. Google cardboard was mega - take a photo, stick on the 5 quid cardboard gubbins and it worked really well. You could send photos and share them and all sorts. It even did sound.

And now, this. Probably the worst thing google have ever done tbh.

beanheadmcginty

That's just reminded me that my Samsung S7 had a great 360 camera mode that worked a treat and really impressed me and my S9 hasn't got it and it is not available anywhere. What a bizarre retrograde step.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 14, 2020, 01:50:20 PM
I'm an Apple twat, so iOS is a requirement.

You're absolutely right on Streetview (I think they got rid of cardboard camera to force people to provide content for google's app if they want the functionality make everyone's life easier), but you can't share the fuckers.

Your options are "post" ie stick em up on the web so everyone can see my son's bedroom and the basement where I get up to my dark desires, or keep em private which defeats the purpose. The image melding is dead impressive though, I had a go with it the other day to test the functionality.

I'll likely just go with that in tandem with normal photos so all and sundry can have a 360 look if I'm with them in person, and gawp at the 2D photos like it's 2008 if they aren't in the same room as me.

According to this you can, maybe they've changed it?

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7013640?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&hl=en

Ferris

The boy Cobb might have solved it!

There's a "share privately" option (which you only see after you hit share which is a bit fucking rum tbh). The direct share option thing doesn't seem to work very well, but you can send the photos externally at least - I suspect another user would be able to import the image into the streetview app and away you go.

Testing it now, we shall see. Seems like a load of faff but that's the price you pay for using freeware.

touchingcloth

I used to use Microsoft's Photosynth on iOS before it got shitcanned, but apparently it's back[nb]Assuming nothing has changed since December 21, 2017, which can't imagine would be a strong possibility at all.[/nb]: https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-brings-back-photosynth-in-its-pix-app-for-ios/