Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:20:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

when is the next national lockdown going to start

Started by kittens, October 14, 2020, 04:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gib

i'm guessing everywhere in christendom is going to allow people to meet up at xmas, and i'm further guessing it's because people would meet up anyway

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gib on November 24, 2020, 10:02:59 PM
i'm guessing everywhere in christendom is going to allow people to meet up at xmas, and i'm further guessing it's because people would meet up anyway

Pandering to stupidity*

*primal urge**

**the human condition***

***stupidity

Buelligan

The Christmas thing's very odd.  Just had a call from someone extremely paranoid about virus exposure, saying how wise Macron's being, keeping our lockdown longer but then finishing off their remarks with a cheery ...and, of course, he's letting us all get together at Christmas, are you sure you don't want to celebrate, as you're not working this year?

That would be the bitterest pill of all.  Dealt with my own infection alone and now forced, by the sheer mawkishness of a capitalist society that hardly turns over in bed at the drownings of little innocent kiddies, born in stables and other lowly places, to endure a merry tinsel-time with auld acquaintance, not on your fucking nell-nell.  This is my Christmas.  Strict, religious, sanitary cordon and no small talk.

sirhenry

Quote from: Buelligan on November 25, 2020, 08:51:57 AM
Strict, religious, sanitary cordon
Now free in Scotland!

This Christmas was going to be when we finally got to meet my stepmother. As everyone involved is rather vulnerable, she has grudgingly accepted that it probably shouldn't also be the last time we meet her. But not without a lot of cajoling and promises of a post-vaccine mega family do. I'm sure she's lovely but it will still be hell when it happens.

Buelligan

Quote from: sirhenry on November 25, 2020, 09:20:46 AM
Now free in Scotland!

It's the only thing that makes Christmas worthwhile, the joy on children's faces, when they open their gifts.

imitationleather

Quote from: gib on November 24, 2020, 10:02:59 PM

I dunno. Some would, but I think most would follow whatever the government advice is. People aren't (entirely) stupid and they know the virus isn't taking a break over Christmas.

All through covid the government's delays and complacency has been explained as them thinking that people won't follow the rules. It seems to be completely at odds with how the public at large has actually behaved through the lockdowns.

With the vaccines on the horizon I think people would be even more open to the idea of Christmas being locked down. It's just mad the option the government's opted for.

scarecrow

Quote from: imitationleather on November 25, 2020, 07:13:13 PM
With the vaccines on the horizon I think people would be even more open to the idea of Christmas being locked down. It's just mad the option the government's opted for.
I'm not a 4D chess person, but a January spike will surely distract from the Brexit fall out, and can be blamed on the people who didn't use common sense? I can't think why else they'd encourage hundreds of thousands of super spreader events.

Theremin

Quote from: scarecrow on November 26, 2020, 02:03:06 AM
I'm not a 4D chess person, but a January spike will surely distract from the Brexit fall out, and can be blamed on the people who didn't use common sense? I can't think why else they'd encourage hundreds of thousands of super spreader events.

Ding ding ding!

This is the most cowardly and self-serving route the Tories could take, so it's very likely what they'll do.

bgmnts

Quote from: scarecrow on November 26, 2020, 02:03:06 AM
I can't think why else they'd encourage hundreds of thousands of super spreader events.

Economy.