Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:09:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

when is the next national lockdown going to start

Started by kittens, October 14, 2020, 04:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

We're going to Level 5 here in Ireland.

Fuck's sake, new page lockdown twat.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Glebe on October 20, 2020, 12:52:48 PM

Yes, buttgammon said that last night.

Glebe

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Glebe on October 20, 2020, 12:52:48 PM

Ha, the Scottish scheme has 5 levels but the highest is level 4. Bet you feel sad now.

mobias

Quote from: kittens on October 14, 2020, 04:28:26 PM
like all right-thinking denizens of the uk, the lockdown and attendant 6 paid months off work that occurred earlier this year was among the best things to ever happen to me. i crave being locked down and paid for the privilege. when do you predict my misery will be over and britain will return to the sanity and safety of total lockdown? my prediction: TWO WEEKS TODAY

Yeah I loved the lockdown earlier this year. I was paid in full for what basically became a 3 month holiday. It was lovely going for Spring walks and sitting at home with my cats and playing computer games. It was like an early taste of retirement. I've found it really difficult to settle back into work since going starting back in early July.

I suspect there will be another short full lockdown but only for 2 or 3 weeks this time. Unless that is they screw things up so badly it needs to be for longer, which is entirely possible. As a few epidemiologists have said this week we're only in mid Autumn and things are looking bad and the tier 3 lockdowns everywhere will have minimal effect. That independent SAGE guy on the Channel 4 news earlier said that 2000 people a day could be dying by Xmas if we don't lockdown now.

Buelligan

Just thought I'd report in, haven't read the thread, natch, to let you know some hot news from France.  A fairly top politician was at the restaurant where I work tonight and let slip that our area will almost certainly go into curfew next week - meaning the restaurant will almost certainly close in the week and just open weekends.  But more seriously, they expect France, as a whole, to go into strict lockdown next month.  Back to total lockdown.  With Brexit nearly out of Johnson's arse now and about to hit the paddles, I'm wondering how that'll affect my chances of furlough this time around.  I don't feel particularly positive if I'm honest.

chveik

Quote from: Buelligan on October 24, 2020, 11:54:23 PM
Just thought I'd report in, haven't read the thread, natch, to let you know some hot news from France.  A fairly top politician was at the restaurant where I work tonight and let slip that our area will almost certainly go into curfew next week - meaning the restaurant will almost certainly close in the week and just open weekends.  But more seriously, they expect France, as a whole, to go into strict lockdown next month.  Back to total lockdown.  With Brexit nearly out of Johnson's arse now and about to hit the paddles, I'm wondering how that'll affect my chances of furlough this time around.  I don't feel particularly positive if I'm honest.

I hope you poisoned their soup

Buelligan

I'm afraid they'd left by the time I knew they were there.  Nothing to be done.

kittens

just heard from work that if there's another lockdown we will not be shutting as we are """essential""". there goes the final trace of hope. bye bye!

Ferris

Quote from: kittens on October 26, 2020, 01:14:10 PM
just heard from work that if there's another lockdown we will not be shutting as we are """essential""". there goes the final trace of hope. bye bye!

That's fucking bollocks, sorry kittens :(

What about it the lockdown goes HARDCORE? Are you HARDCORE essential? Maybe there is still hope.

bgmnts

I'm sorry you are unfortunate enough to have a job at this time kittens. :(

The Mollusk

Yeah swings and roundabouts innit. I would kill to be able to get out of the house and work right now, after 7 months of absolutely fuck all work under furlough before very suddenly being fired with no redundancy pay.

bgmnts

Yeah sorry kittens I was only messing. I was talking to a recruitment agency prick who queried how long I've been out of paid work (he didnt class volunteering abroad as work obviously) in a tone of voice that made me instantly visualise his facial expression of pure derision over the phone.

Would I rather be working during lockdown and everyone being miserable? I honestly don't know at this point.

kittens

it's coming isn't it. lockdown on the way. hope to christ i get furloughed again. bring on the new lockdown boris u legend

Icehaven

Quote from: kittens on October 26, 2020, 01:14:10 PM

Friend of mine has been furious for the last 6 months as he's continued to have to go into work through the whole thing because his employers managed to get their business classed as "essential" even though it really isn't, they make and test ammunition so 99% of their work is for farmers, hunters and gun hobbyists. The business owners managed to exploit a loophole which got them classed as contributing to the military even though they pretty much never do any work for them and haven't for years. The hobbyists and hunters can do one obviously and a gun is hardly essential to run a farm either (unless you're Tony Martin) (Sorry) so I do feel sorry for him, plus he has to get the bus there and back. Like a lot of us he's lucky to still have a job, and a relatively secure one at that, but I don't feel I can tell him that as I worked from home for 5 months and am still only back at work a few days a week even though my job can't really be done remotely, so it's more like checking emails a few times a day from home.

Buelligan

My lockdown starts tomorrow.  My main job will close tonight but I think I'm going to get some money anyway for that and one of my other johns wants to keep meeting, I'll oblige until the master tells me different, so it looks like a bit more sleep, more diy and still eating, which is nice.

Cuellar

Quote from: kittens on October 29, 2020, 11:26:29 AM
it's coming isn't it.

It is coming. It'll be announced in a matter of days. Mere days.

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on October 29, 2020, 04:43:00 PM
and one of my other johns wants to keep meeting, I'll oblige until the master tells me different

Uhhhh what?

olliebean

Quote from: Cuellar on October 29, 2020, 04:44:00 PM
It is coming. It'll be announced in a matter of days. Mere days.

And what happens then? We have a lockdown for a little while to get us back to where we were, what, at the start of September? Meanwhile test and trace is still being done mostly by shit private companies and not by the people who are capable of doing it well, so the whole point of the lockdown, to get things back to a level where test & trace can be effective, will be wasted as test & trace will be just as shit as before. Then we come out of lockdown and things start getting worse again, only quicker than before because the weather's now colder so people are spending more time in inadequately ventilated rooms and probably going to Christmas parties. Then what happens? Wait until there's 100,000 new infections a day again and then have another one? And then again?

I suppose they might end up with their beloved loads-more-deaths-as-a-price-worth-paying-for-herd-immunity after all.

Ferris

Quote from: MrMrs on October 29, 2020, 06:48:14 PM
holding pattern until vaccine innit

Yeah it'll be like this back and forth until a working vaccine saves the day in a few months and the outbreaks become less and less frequent/potent.

Cuellar

Quote from: olliebean on October 29, 2020, 05:44:17 PM
And what happens then? We have a lockdown for a little while to get us back to where we were, what, at the start of September? Meanwhile test and trace is still being done mostly by shit private companies and not by the people who are capable of doing it well, so the whole point of the lockdown, to get things back to a level where test & trace can be effective, will be wasted as test & trace will be just as shit as before. Then we come out of lockdown and things start getting worse again, only quicker than before because the weather's now colder so people are spending more time in inadequately ventilated rooms and probably going to Christmas parties. Then what happens? Wait until there's 100,000 new infections a day again and then have another one? And then again?

I suppose they might end up with their beloved loads-more-deaths-as-a-price-worth-paying-for-herd-immunity after all.

Yeah look I don't know.

All I do know is the national lockdown is coming. In a matter of days, not weeks.

Theremin

Really enjoying the Lockdown Prediction chat. Reminds me of hanging around on religious fundamentalist forums in 2012.

"Apocalypse coming lads, Thursday. Set your watch to that and wear a new pair of undercrackers for Jesus."

Theremin

Also firmly in Team Kittens.

Why, I'D SELL MY SOUL for some more furlough. (Waits for Rishi Sunak to appear, in red plastic horns and leotard.)

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: MrMrs on October 29, 2020, 06:48:14 PM
holding pattern until vaccine innit

The Germans are saying they'll be ready to start vaccinating as soon as their one is approved, which could be before the end of the year. If the vaccine is that close why the fuck not have a lockdown, why allow people to die when we're months away from them not having to?

bgmnts

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on October 30, 2020, 02:18:56 PM
The Germans are saying they'll be ready to start vaccinating as soon as their one is approved, which could be before the end of the year. If the vaccine is that close why the fuck not have a lockdown, why allow people to die when we're months away from them not having to?

ECONOMY

kittens

better not be a vaccine. better be a permanent lockdown. better be a permanent lockdown with 80% pay and me sitting at home happy as larry playing videogames and drinking red wine. or i will never vote for the conservatives again.

Cursus

New restrictions coming sometime next week if tomorrow's papers are to be believed:

BlodwynPig

Its not new restrictions its lockdown

Plus, didnt know biggy had been married!