Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:15:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Does a photo of the old secondary Monster Munch shape exist on the internet?

Started by beanheadmcginty, October 14, 2020, 10:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

Bit of background - my ex-girlfriend/flatmate/current friend is a journalist and has just been sent this fucking outrageous promotional box from Walkers. It's essentially a massive carboard box with some shitty Monster Munch branded stuff in it (for example, a bucket hat) and two bags of Monster Munch. One bag claims to contain a claw, the other a monster (i.e. the same shape inverted). It's clearly a desperate attempt to cash in on that viral thing a few years ago where people were saying that Monster Munch was actually shaped like a monster when it is clearly a claw.
However, when I pointed out to my ex-girlfriend/flatmate/current friend that it would have been much better for them to have brought back the old secondary Monster Munch shape that was actually a completely different shape as that would have sparked people's memories and actually generated some sort of conversation/publicity, she drew a blank (she's a few years younger). All of my attempts to find a photo of one have failed and it's really difficult to describe. I've had to resort to biro drawings. Anybody know where I can find one?

pigamus

Consignia

There were limited edition spider ones:

But wikipedia suggests there was a a second normal one:

The original Monster Munch used two different snack shapes, related to two of the Monsters. The shape known as a "monster paw" that is still used today has long been the subject of dispute over whether it represents a paw or, instead, the single eye and lashes of Yellow monster (currently seen on Pickled Onion flavour packs). The other represented the gangly, long-tongued Pink Monster: circular with two bumps on the top for eyes, protrusions on either side and a tongue dangling down. For a limited time in the early 1990s, there were also spider-shaped Monster Munch in the Sizzling Bacon flavour.

For which I've yet to find photo evidence.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

It was a circle with two bumps on the top. I don't remember any protrusions or tongue.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 14, 2020, 10:49:34 PM
It was a circle with two bumps on the top. I don't remember any protrusions or tongue.

Maybe cos kids and just abstract formations of maize

The other represented the gangly, long-tongued Pink Monster: circular with two bumps on the top for eyes, protrusions on either side and a tongue dangling down

beanheadmcginty

Hang on. If that tongue one is genuine then there were THREE shapes. The one I remember was merely a ring with two parallel protruberances on each side.

There were the swastika ones, I remember that. Obviously, those were phased out.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 14, 2020, 11:03:18 PM
Hang on. If that tongue one is genuine then there were THREE shapes. The one I remember was merely a ring with two parallel protruberances on each side.

I was feeling there was three, one representing each monster.

Don't remember this one.

JamesTC

Saw this on Twitter. No idea if any are what you are looking for.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 14, 2020, 11:03:18 PM

Thinking back, there may have been a tongue dangling down on the circular one, but it was so insubstantial compared to the two protuberances that it has escaped our collective memory. The two protuberances were meaty enough to actually knaw off with your front teeth, which I definitely remember doing, but the tongue was just an afterthought, which you may have casually carved off with your bottom teeth, before consuming the circle.
Based on this, I think there were only two shapes, and I want a fucking picture of the second shape, or I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I don't think that shape has ever existed, apart from on packaging. Bollocks.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 14, 2020, 11:33:02 PM

That could be true, maybe that's what's causing the confusion.

gib

Quote from: wikiThe original flavour for Monster Munch when it launched was Roast Beef, followed by Saucy and Pickled Onion flavours a year later.

right, i'm taking that as canon

we need the shape for Saucy

idunnosomename

the roast beef looks like an erect penis im not sure if anyone else noticed that

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: JamesTC on October 14, 2020, 11:23:31 PM
Saw this on Twitter. No idea if any are what you are looking for.

Thank you, but this looks like it's direct from the Kremlin. The idea that each flavour had its own shape is a fake news psyop the likes of which we've never seen before.

touchingcloth

non capisco

Sorry to bring Chart Music into an unrelated thread yet again but now more than ever the world needs that Neil Kulkarni hosted podcast about crisps.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 14, 2020, 11:28:44 PM

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 14, 2020, 11:33:02 PM
Yeah they did, I vaguely remember them. They were the original Roast Beef ones but they changed it to the claw shape fairly early on.

beanheadmcginty

Pssst. Apparently the reason they digitally removed the braces from that girl in Moonraker is because they were all clogged up with chewed up secondary shape Monster Munch. Pass it on.

Shit Good Nose

I hope buzby is okay cos we're nearly onto page 2 with this and he's not appeared...

Glebe

"I'm normally a biscuit man, but this mystery has perked my interest!"

BeardFaceMan

King prawn Monster Munch were the pinnacle of human achievement, it's all been downhill since then.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 15, 2020, 05:18:20 PM
King prawn Monster Munch were the pinnacle of human achievement, it's all been downhill since then.

Ahhhh yeah, they were my favourite as well, closely followed by the original flaming hot.  No way - NO WAY - is the current flaming hot anything like the original.  Pickled onion are similarly a shadow of what they once were.

notjosh

Does anyone remember the old yellow flavour from the early noughties before it changed to Roast Beef?

I think it might have been Spicy (below), though in my memory it tasted much more like natural corn.