Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Does a photo of the old secondary Monster Munch shape exist on the internet?

Started by beanheadmcginty, October 14, 2020, 10:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 16, 2020, 01:08:55 AM
i remember you could only get Taz Tazos in Doritos. what an odd thing to remember.

Haha, yes, I ALSO remember Doritos-exclusive Tazos when the Star Wars ones were in there. I still have the flattened Doritos Star Wars bag in my attic from what I presumed would be the only bag I was ever going to eat, just to see if I could get whatever its exclusive contents were.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 17, 2020, 08:30:19 PM
What I want to know is, what is point of Flamin Hot flavour? Nobody likes it, but they continue to sell it.

Picked Onion - good
Roast Beef - good
Flamin Hot - Bag of COVID

Well I like it! Like most commercially available things labeled as such it isn't anywhere near approaching 'hot' but the flavour is nice enough.

Replies From View

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 16, 2020, 01:43:30 AM
The eponymous second shape mentioned in the thread title is briefly in the very first advert of the compilation:

That looks like a proper pain in the arse to engineer and I'm no maize reconstituter.

That's some obsessive texture there, real careful detail, some overlapping even.  It almost looks like two pieces glued together if truth be told.  If you asked me to swear on oath I'd say I've no experience whatsoever in the maize reconstitution industry right but that looks like two pieces of sculpted Fimo or something carefully glued together for the advert to make children think their snacks will have unparalleled texturing.

That's what I'd say and I'd be speaking the godamned truth.

Replies From View

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Replies From View on October 18, 2020, 09:48:39 AM
I always thought it would make sense if they'd promoted Monster Munch as a foodstuff for monsters to eat that had somehow found its way into human hands.  Yes have the monsters on the cover eating the snacks but what kinds of shapes would monsters eat?  Vague representations of their own faces and claws?  No they fucking wouldn't.  No they'd eat maize formations representing their own delicious foods, presumably bugs and human feet.  C'mon it's fuckin basic.
Humans eat far more human shaped food than monster shapes: jelly babies, reconstituted potato faces, cherry lips, gingerbread people, candy skulls...

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: magval on October 18, 2020, 10:03:52 AM
Haha, yes, I ALSO remember Doritos-exclusive Tazos when the Star Wars ones were in there.

I've just found 5 Pokemon Tazos in a drawer.  I've no idea what crisps they were from, but probably Doritos as I do remember getting Tazos with them.

Glebe

idunnosomename

Quote from: magval on October 18, 2020, 10:03:52 AM
Haha, yes, I ALSO remember Doritos-exclusive Tazos when the Star Wars ones were in there. I still have the flattened Doritos Star Wars bag in my attic from what I presumed would be the only bag I was ever going to eat, just to see if I could get whatever its exclusive contents were.
i think the star wars doritos ones were the totally new bits like cg dewbacks and the jedi rocks number

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 16, 2020, 03:23:36 PM
helo buzby what was the worlds biggest crisp.

idunnosomename, aged 28

edit i am being a silly billy but this of course is a thing if you search google for it

http://www.worldslargestthings.com/washington/potatochip.htm

"The Guinness Book of World Records qualifies this as the world's largest potato "crip". The oddity was made by a team of food engineers employed by Proctor & Gamble, Cincinnati, Ohio, June 3 1991."

Thorough article

QuoteWhat is a potato "crisp"? Potato crisps are made from processed dehydrated potatoes. The crisp is formed by food processing machines.

Formed by processing machines was it father.  Right you are.

El Unicornio, mang

What I want to know is, what is point of Flamin Hot flavour? Nobody likes it, but they continue to sell it.

Picked Onion - good
Roast Beef - good

Roast Beef - 10/10
Flamin' Hot - almost as good
Pickled Onion - decent, not what they used to be

*runs away*

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on October 18, 2020, 11:37:50 AMThe crisp is formed by food processing machines.

I don't believe this. They are hand-crafted by experts or GTFO.

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on October 18, 2020, 11:49:34 AM
I don't believe this. They are hand-crafted by experts or GTFO.

I like it because it is the same as saying "formed by a process" and just leaving it like that.

idunnosomename

I mean they also spell crisp wrong but people post links to bbc.co.uk all the time so i dont see how it's not a reputable enough source for cab

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 17, 2020, 01:22:28 PM
I took a fucking photo and pasted it in the thread though, are you people blind?!

Yes I saw that photo, but I'm sorry to break it to you - that isn't anything like the old secondary Monster Munch shape. It actually sort of looks like a monster for a start. The old secondary Monster Munch shape was a nondescript ring with double parallel protrusions coming out of it that you could spend hours of your childhood speculating on what it was supposed to represent (I think the consensus amongst my peers was that it was supposed to be the big eye if the one-eyed monster). That shape in the photo has clearly been mocked up at great expense in a laboratory purely for use in the adverts. In much the same way that crisp packets in the adverts never look like they've been opened because they were never sealed in the first place.

gib

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 18, 2020, 12:54:02 PM
Yes I saw that photo, but I'm sorry to break it to you - that isn't anything like the old secondary Monster Munch shape. It actually sort of looks like a monster for a start. The old secondary Monster Munch shape was a nondescript ring with double parallel protrusions coming out of it that you could spend hours of your childhood speculating on what it was supposed to represent (I think the consensus amongst my peers was that it was supposed to be the big eye if the one-eyed monster). That shape in the photo has clearly been mocked up at great expense in a laboratory purely for use in the adverts. In much the same way that crisp packets in the adverts never look like they've been opened because they were never sealed in the first place.

do you mean this shape, that buzby posted on the previous page?

imitationleather

Picked Onion - good
Roast Beef - good

Stop chatting breeze. Me and the lads all love flamin hot, although it's not as good as it used to be.

Pickled onion the best, then flamin hot and roast beef last. Roast beef is nice but it's a bit nondescript compared to the other two flavours.

Not eaten Monster Munch for ages and I want some now. I don't think Monster Munch can really be eaten in public by a 34 year old. It wouldn't look right.

idunnosomename

If you eat pickled onion in a car basically you'll never be able to sell it for anything other than the scrap price

beanheadmcginty

Replies From View

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 18, 2020, 02:18:18 PM
Nope. Those are clearly spiders.

That's ok.  Monsters eat spiders.  Just can't be doing with monsters eating their own actual faces in tandem.

Yes we eat smiley faced biscuits on a jaunt, but nobody ever said these were human faces.  Nobody has ever said that a gingerbread man is human.  Yeah yeah assume away all you like, project with all your might; nobody has ever once said that these are they, and that is that.

Monster Munch:  it's what monsters munch, not us munching a monster, which we never do in life anyway so why do they even go on about it like it's a standard thing.

I thank you.

beanheadmcginty

I wasn't saying that I was in any way averse to them because they were shaped like spiders. I was just reiterating that they are in no way representative of the old secondary Monster Munch shape, of which there doesn't appear to be a single photographic record on the entirety of the internet.

Replies From View

I understand.  I was just saying the whole Monster Munch conceit is a bit muddled.  Monster Munch should have implied snacks that monsters eat, just like you see in the advert when they are in their natural habitat eating processed maize.

Then Smiths got hold of the real life situation and they got it wrong and they started selling Monster Munch as monsters that you need to munch, which is fucking obscene but pretty much what Britain has always done really.  Swaggering in and changing everything instead of learning how various ecosystems actually work.

Captain Z

Is it just me who thought there used to be a triangular-shaped monster much?

bomb_dog

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: bomb_dog on October 18, 2020, 04:02:33 PM

"Daniel, It's your mum......listen your dad and I have been talking, Its been seven years since you failed the second year at uni love, I think it's time you got a job............look Daniel, We're cutting you off, your aunty Angela has spoken to her boss at B&M........yes, I know love but you can make reggae in your spare time"

gib

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 18, 2020, 02:18:18 PM
Nope. Those are clearly spiders.

Well they seem to match your description. What flavour were the ones with this 'secondary shape'?

JamesTC

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on October 18, 2020, 04:11:06 PM
"Daniel, It's your mum......listen your dad and I have been talking, Its been seven years since you failed the second year at uni love, I think it's time you got a job............look Daniel, We're cutting you off, your aunty Angela has spoken to her boss at B&M........yes, I know love but you can make reggae in your spare time"

This is how is started for Joel Guy Jr. One day you realise that monster munch are actually little monsters and BAM! Mother's head is in the pot.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: JamesTC on October 18, 2020, 04:14:53 PM
This is how is started for Joel Guy Jr. One day you realise that monster munch are actually little monsters and BAM! Mother's head is in the pot.

Revelatory maize based killings.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: bomb_dog on October 18, 2020, 04:02:33 PM

This so-called "revelation" was the basis of the pisspoor and highly wasteful promotional box that I mentioned in the OP.