Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:49:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Does a photo of the old secondary Monster Munch shape exist on the internet?

Started by beanheadmcginty, October 14, 2020, 10:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 19, 2020, 08:44:29 AM
What's wrong with it? They taste of sauce.

Get out. Go on, hop it.

Saucy rib is fine and good.  Rib n sauce is fine and good.  Even ribby n saucy is ok if you absolutely need it.

But rib n saucy is maybe three notches down from Donald Trump on the grave-o-meter.  Let's not pretend otherwise; life is too short.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on October 19, 2020, 10:00:55 AM
Saucy rib is fine and good.  Rib n sauce is fine and good.  Even ribby n saucy is ok if you absolutely need it.

But rib n saucy is maybe three notches down from Donald Trump on the grave-o-meter.  Let's not pretend otherwise; life is too short.

I thought you were complaining about the Monster Munch flavour named "Saucy" being the aggravating one.

And then you mentioned "Ribby n Saucy", which to my knowledge isn't a flavour of anything.

You may have been thinking of the Nik Naks flavour "Rib 'n' Saucy", but this is actually fine as a name because as you should well know it is flavoured with rib, 'n' it is also flavoured with saucy.

Replies From View

Ok, right, I have double-checked

Monster Munch:  "saucy flavour"

Tell me what a saucy flavour is, please.  It's a texture, right?  If you were telling someone in the street about how saucy your brand new pasty was, you'd be describing the sheer overflowing nature of some sauce within it.  If you wanted to communicate the flavour of that sauce you'd be more specific.  This is tomatoey, you'd say.  Or you'd say it's Flamin' Hot.  You'd say it was wasabe-ish or like having all of your taste buds miraculously clogged with heavenly English mustard.  Wouldn't you.  If you said "man the flavour of this is so saucy" you'd be scolded for being vague.  It's like saying "MSG flavour".  "Transparent flavour".  "Vacuum flavour".

Rib n Saucy, yeah that's the Nik Nak one.  They should specify "Rib flavour, saucy texture" and suffer the kick back for lying because in no way do Nik Naks have a saucy texture.  Don't evoke sauciness if you can't prove it in court.  And don't use grave-tastic flavour names if you aren't ready for a complete stranger with covid to enter your personal space and shit into all of your pants.  It's basic.

touchingcloth

Do you not understand what a flavour is? Saucy Monster Munch are saucy flavoured because they taste like saucy, i.e. their main ingredient is saucy. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with texture, I think you're thinking if the limited edition shag pile ones.

Replies From View

I have fucking covered that saucy is not a flavour in my extensive dissertation above which you obviously haven't read in depth

touchingcloth

Replies From View

Ok well my article has now been peer reviewed, so it is locked in as being correct

touchingcloth

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 18, 2020, 06:43:48 PM
Looks like we've got a Monster Munch-denialist here, lads.

What you describe sounds like the shape I posted with the tongue bitten off, did you have an older sibling who went through the pack before you?

More evidence:
https://pickled-jo.livejournal.com/931089.html

Monster Munch effect.

I remember when they were this shape. Usually the long protuberances would have snapped off most the crisps and be at the the bottom of the bag with the maize fluff, having been damaged in transit or whatever, which is probably why they phased them out.

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 19, 2020, 11:26:15 AM
I've just got in touch with a man to ask him to "sort you out".

Let him hit me with his gritty "flavour".

Replies From View

Quote from: DistressedArea on October 19, 2020, 12:02:22 PM
You're thinking of Minster Mulch, which they do in some gift shops.

There was a cartoon of this, as well.  Mr Benn inspired, but politically driven and even more heavily mulchy in flavour. 

turnstyle

What the fuck is this heresy?
In France, the major potato crisp brand Intersnack (France) commercializes a range of flavoured potato chip based snacks with the name "Monster Munch". The range of flavours includes ready salted, ham & cheese, barbecue, ketchup, pizza and cream cheese. The monsters are smaller in size than UK Monster Munch, much thinner with a smiling ghost shape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Munch

beanheadmcginty

I've had those on holiday once. They're essentially the ghosts of dead Pom Bears.

Bernice

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: Bernice on October 19, 2020, 03:22:56 PM
I don't mind them, the ketchup flavour ones are decent.

Ketchup is a kind of sauce though so surely they are called saucy flavour in real life.

Replies From View

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 19, 2020, 03:17:33 PM
I've had those on holiday once. They're essentially the ghosts of dead Pom Bears.

This makes me feel better about hating them.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on October 19, 2020, 03:26:20 PM
Ketchup is a kind of sauce though so surely they are called saucy flavour in real life.

They should be called ketchup flavour. Saucy flavour is the name for crisps flavoured with saucy. What are you not understanding about this?

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 19, 2020, 03:45:20 PM
They should be called ketchup flavour. Saucy flavour is the name for crisps flavoured with saucy. What are you not understanding about this?

Why are all other snacks banned from accessing this "saucy" flavour for themselves.

If it exists it would be out there.

buzby

Quote from: Replies From View on October 19, 2020, 08:00:26 AM
I broadly understand in the sense that I saw children using play dough squeezers when I was a kid and Monster Munches are like cross-section slices of that.  The way the shapes twist and turn and coil in on themselves I'm going to put down to temperature, torque and thickness, the three Ts if you will.

But look at the overlap on this sample:

I don't understand how that could be done in one of those dies.  Looks moulded or overlaid to create a more solid shape for the advert.
There's no torque involved. It's pressure (from squeezing the maize slurry between two screws, like a supercharger) that is the key to extrusion. The rise in pressure also partially cooks the maize in the process, and the drop in pressure as it leaves the die causes it to expand..

There is no overlap in the pink monster shape,:

The screenshot from the ad is viewing it from a side-on angle. In the video I posted there are dies for far more complex shapes than that. The same machines can be used to produce pasta shapes as well.
Quote from: Wet Blanket on October 19, 2020, 11:46:12 AM
I remember when they were this shape. Usually the long protuberances would have snapped off most the crisps and be at the the bottom of the bag with the maize fluff, having been damaged in transit or whatever, which is probably why they phased them out.
I think that is one of the main reasons why it was phased out, the other being the more general issue of having to change the die for each run of each flavour. Hence after Walkers took over they used the 'claw' shape for all flavours.
Quote from: turnstyle on October 19, 2020, 01:49:39 PM
What the fuck is this heresy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Munch
I have posted about those before in the Wheat Crunchies thread. They were introduced by French snack company Vico in 1992. Unlike it's Smiths namesake, they are made from stamped potato starch (Vico was founded by a co-operative of potato farmers in Picardy in 1955). It's possible that Smiths neglected to trademark the Monster Munch name in France.

Vico merged with the German Intersnack company in 1998 (the makers of Pom-Bear and many other brands). Intersnack later purchased KP from United Biscuits in 2012 (Intersnack introduced Hula Hoops in France in 2017, made by Vico) and Tayto Eire in 2015.

Cold Meat Platter

Bizarre that there's no evidence of this shape ever having existed. Really frustrating.

kalowski

Quote from: buzbyWalkers then took over Smiths in 1995 and everything went to pot.
Fucking A, man

Replies From View

Quote from: buzby on October 19, 2020, 09:21:04 PM
The same machines can be used to produce pasta shapes as well.

So the pasta will have all Monster Munches on them, that's fucking disgusting.

I bet there's even some covid cross-contamination as well.  Why don't pasta companies buy their own equipment?!

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on October 19, 2020, 10:52:09 AM
I have fucking covered that saucy is not a flavour in my extensive dissertation above which you obviously haven't read in depth

Anyway, what kind of person is eating their monster munch without adding sauce?

Dry snack like that needs sauce even if it is already the flavour of sauce.

Replies From View

Quote from: DistressedArea on October 20, 2020, 02:42:05 AM
Dry snack like that needs sauce even if it is already the flavour of sauce.

Flavour of "saucy", not flavour of "sauce".

Brian Freeze

I listened to something last night (gastropod podcast about snacks) and they said that Cheetos, and by association all crisps of this type, were accidentally invented while making cattle food.
Please can someone give a Monster Munch to a cow next time they see one and report back? Cheers.