Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:50:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Does a photo of the old secondary Monster Munch shape exist on the internet?

Started by beanheadmcginty, October 14, 2020, 10:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

But those are small.

For info - pops are, ironically, known as "BFC"s in chez Nose - Big Fucking Crisps.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 16, 2020, 03:49:36 PM
No, they're just far away.

The bag is massive, it's shareable size.

So.......massive hands as well?

Wanking thread.

The Roofdog

Quote from: buzby on October 15, 2020, 11:48:50 PM
Blue top-hat changed from Sizzling Bacon to Smoky Spiders in the early 90s:

That's a pencil case mate. Someone's stitched you right up there.

idunnosomename

I just thought "oooh I had one of those" and now I feel like a boomer

(i think it was pickled onion)

buzby

Quote from: The Roofdog on October 16, 2020, 04:26:08 PM
That's a pencil case mate. Someone's stitched you right up there.

There's no pictures of an actual bag on the internet, so I resorted to a picture of a promotional pencil case. Above is a screencap of the advert for them.

Captain Z

I'm amazed a bag of Space Raiders was still 10p when they first came out. That must have been nearly a week's wages back then.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 16, 2020, 03:23:36 PM
helo buzby what was the worlds biggest crisp.

idunnosomename, aged 28

edit i am being a silly billy but this of course is a thing if you search google for it

http://www.worldslargestthings.com/washington/potatochip.htm

"The Guinness Book of World Records qualifies this as the world's largest potato "crip". The oddity was made by a team of food engineers employed by Proctor & Gamble, Cincinnati, Ohio, June 3 1991."
Thank fuck they didn't make it from the world's biggest potato.

Ironically, many potato crisps even in a standard-sized packet are larger than so-called Monster Munch.

Bernice

Shit Good Nose

Needs to ease off the steroids.

Sheep needs to get a refund from the hairdresser.

etc

ProvanFan

pigamus

"Well Frank," says Miss Whiplash, "I hope you brought plenty of Vaseline"

beanheadmcginty

idunnosomename

they say people tend to look like their potatoes

(i'd really like to swap his head with the potatoes but I've had enough gimping today and my heart isnt in it)

touchingcloth

Quote from: buzby on October 16, 2020, 05:20:56 PM

There's no pictures of an actual bag on the internet, so I resorted to a picture of a promotional pencil case. Above is a screencap of the advert for them.

That's a pencil case surrounded by fifteen pencils.

Hand Solo

I'm sure the original Big Pink Monster with the long tongue molested me in the late-eighties. If anyone knows his whereabouts can they please furnish my legal team with his current name and address? I believe due to some of the furnished information he was still working as a British Cycling Coach under the name of Mr Mink Ponster in Clacton-on-Sea as of 1994.

Glebe

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 17, 2020, 12:16:57 AMI'm sure the original big pink monster with the long tongue molested me in the late-eighties. If anyone knows his current whereabouts can they please furnish my legal team with his current name and address? I believe to due to some currently furnished information he was still working as a British Cycling Coach under the name of Mr Mink Ponster as of 1994.

It's about time the Honey Monster got #metoo'd an all. Filthy scum.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Glebe on October 17, 2020, 12:19:56 AM
It's about time the Honey Monster got #metoo'd an all. Filthy scum.

Too right. The Honey Monster was a Catholic Priest Cereal molester who had been moved from the Blueberry Parish to the Honey one in `76 and told to watch his nose. But all those kids, the honey, the sugar, the puffs, he couldn't help himself.

idunnosomename

Mr Tickle is the Jimmy Savile of weird non-descript creature-people. wait no, that doesnt work

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: buzby on October 15, 2020, 11:48:50 PM
Busy day.

Launched by Smiths in 1977 originally in Roast Beef flavour with the pink, lolling tongued monster on the pack, priced at 7p:

Pickled Onion was added in 1980 with the yellow one-eyed monster on the pack. In 1981 Saucy was added to the range with the blue, four-armed top-hatted monster on the pack.

The three flavours each used their own extrusion, loosely based on the monster for each flavour

The short orange one with the red hair started appearing in the ads (which also show the shape of the extrusions for each flavour) but there were still only 3 flavours. The same year also saw the launch of the short-lived Monster Fizz bottled soft drink spinoff in Cola, Orangeade and Shandy flavours (posted previously in the thread). It was trialled in the Southern TV region but was not a success so the nationwide launch was abandoned.

Throughout the rest of the 1980s more flavours came and went.
Blue top-hat went from Saucy to Salt & Vinegar:

(This back has a BBE date of December 1987)
Yellow one eye briefly lost his post on the Pickled Onion pack to the short orange monster, and was moved to Cheese & Onion flavour instead:

(these packs had BBE dates of early 1989)
Blue top-hat also changed to Sizzling Bacon:

(this back has a 1991 BBE date)
Later on, short orange was moved to Prawn Cocktail and yellow one eye went back to Pickled Onion:

Blue top-hat changed from Sizzling Bacon to Smoky Spiders in the early 90s:

Walkers then took over Smiths in 1995 and everything went to pot. The monsters got redesigned and the flavours changed - for instance, Pink lolling tongue changed to Beef burger flavour:

There were also the usual PepsiCo tie-in promotions like for the bloody Phantom Menace.
In 2008 to cash in on the 'retro' fad, they relaunched them using the original 3 monsters but all using the claw-shaped extrusion and strangely not the original flavours - Roast Beef and Pickled Onion were there, but instead of Saucy, Blue top-hat was on Flaming Hot:

This is a wonderfully detailed history of Monster Munch and I really enjoyed reading it Buzby. But, and I don't want to sound unappreciative, what I couldn't help noticing was the complete lack of a photo of the old secondary Monster Munch shape.
It's even more remarkable that such a photo doesn't exist now we can see that photos of the old packets are ten a penny.

Hand Solo

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 17, 2020, 02:41:43 AM
This is a wonderfully detailed history of Monster Munch and I really enjoyed reading it Buzby. But, and I don't want to sound unappreciative, what I couldn't help noticing was the complete lack of a photo of the old secondary Monster Munch shape.
It's even more remarkable that such a photo doesn't exist now we can see that photos of the old packets are ten a penny.

I took a fucking photo and pasted it in the thread though, are you people blind?!

Bernice

It's crazy to think that the secondary monster munch shape was out there for decades and apparently not a single image of it exists today.

Glebe

What about crisps that will never change shape?

"Hula Hoops are rand, they're staying rand, and they'll be arand forevah!"

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

What I want to know is, what is point of Flamin Hot flavour? Nobody likes it, but they continue to sell it.

Picked Onion - good
Roast Beef - good
Flamin Hot - Bag of COVID

bomb_dog

Got a great book on old sweets, lollies and crisps etc, called 'The Great British Tuck Shop' by the TV Cream crew. Pages posted below - spot the comments on what the shapes represent from kids at the time.

No pictures of the shapes, but I wanted to add to the detailed research going on on this most vital of topics.

Replies From View

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 14, 2020, 11:22:30 PM
I was feeling there was three, one representing each monster.

Don't remember this one.

I always thought it would make sense if they'd promoted Monster Munch as a foodstuff for monsters to eat that had somehow found its way into human hands.  Yes have the monsters on the cover eating the snacks but what kinds of shapes would monsters eat?  Vague representations of their own faces and claws?  No they fucking wouldn't.  No they'd eat maize formations representing their own delicious foods, presumably bugs and human feet.  C'mon it's fuckin basic.

Replies From View

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 15, 2020, 10:23:27 PM
For all of our sakes I hope I haven't broken Buzby. But I have to admit that I'd take some satisfaction if it turned out that he's been investigating this topic solidly for the past 24 hours, having to resort to calling in favours from long-dormant crisp industry contacts.

That buzby bird character from all our childhoods is an honorary monster munch gang member as far as I'm concerned