Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:44:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who will play Savile?

Started by Butchers Blind, October 15, 2020, 11:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand Solo

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 15, 2020, 05:34:54 PM
"How Do You Find a Man like Jimmy?"

Check the morgue.

Back when he was alive I mean.

George Oscar Bluth II

QuoteThe Reckoning will be written by Neil McKay, who was also behind Appropriate Adult - the Bafta-winning drama about serial killer Fred West.

He and Pope also worked on Moorside, about the disappearance of Shannon Matthews; and the forthcoming Four Lives, on the murders of four young gay men by Stephen Port.

Moorside and Appropriate Adult were both very good but I wonder if you can make a decent drama about a cartoonish monster like Saville

Danger Man

Peter Serafinowicz can do a Saviile as he really sounds like.

But I suppose the part will require a cigar juggling lunatic which would rule Peter out.

Hand Solo

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on October 15, 2020, 05:49:43 PM
Moorside and Appropriate Adult were both very good but I wonder if you can make a decent drama about a cartoonish monster like Saville

I read a story the other day which gave me strong Shannon Matthews vibes.

Spoiler alert
It's shocking but if you read it more than once thinking about it, it doesn't really make much sense and there's no real evidence. The family end up getting compensation and donations, which I assume like the Matthews case was most likely the motive. But the family (which appears to be just a single mother) suspected the boy was given bleach and not the hospital treating him, wouldn't there be clear evidence if he swallowed bleach? Plus wouldn't the kids know the names of the other boys involved therefore the police would already have them in custody rather than being some ephemeral element of the story like the can of 'gin' which also doesn't appear in evidence? As the boy is autistic I suspect the mum might have a bit of the old Munchausen-by-proxy and given the boy some gin to drink to make him ill and them told his brother to phone the ambulance and then make up a horrible story and watch the cash roll in? Or it may be just sloppy reporting and me being a cunt.
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Mister Six on October 15, 2020, 04:07:55 PM
Is Michael Sheen still the go-to for playing any English human of note?
Taron Egerton has played Eddie the Eagle and Elton John in recent years.

Blumf

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 15, 2020, 02:07:58 PM
Now Then, Now Then, the new BBC Saturday evening talent show.

"Bring on the wall! (of establishment silence)"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 15, 2020, 01:08:03 PM
Probably Michael Sheen. It's always Michael Sheen.

my thoughts exactly.

chveik

can I ask what's the point? (and wasn't the bbc involved in the cover-up?)

thenoise

Quote from: chveik on October 15, 2020, 07:52:02 PM
can I ask what's the point? (and wasn't the bbc involved in the cover-up?)

Turning their own criminal incompetence into entertainment. Utterly shameless.

Reminds me of that Doherty cunt making a video outside that flat where he killed that kid for his song 'murder is fun lol'

Hand Solo

Quote from: thenoise on October 15, 2020, 08:48:59 PM

So they can marginilise and control the official story. It will all be "nobody knew about what Savile was up to, he was a master deceptionist who carried on with all this stuff without his superiors being aware of it blah blah blah", they always do one for inconvenient big cover-ups because they can play fast and loose with the facts and the public watch the drama and assume that's what really happened. When it's more sensitive stuff they have to lie much more carefully about they choose the documentary format.

famethrowa

Quote from: Mister Six on October 15, 2020, 04:07:55 PM
Is Michael Sheen still the go-to for playing any English human of note?

Oh fuck that guy. He's spent a lifetime playing "Man #2" in TV movies, best known for playing David fuckin Frost, and he goes on Graham Norton or whatever and they act like Burt Lancaster's just come in. And his greasy bride of frankenstein beard

famethrowa

Quote from: thenoise on October 15, 2020, 08:48:59 PM

Imagine if they (correctly) laid the blame on voice-over man Saint David Attenborough.

Menu

Quote from: famethrowa on October 16, 2020, 02:52:25 AM
Oh fuck that guy. He's spent a lifetime playing "Man #2" in TV movies, best known for playing David fuckin Frost, and he goes on Graham Norton or whatever and they act like Burt Lancaster's just come in. And his greasy bride of frankenstein beard

And he got to kiss Tina Fey!

famethrowa

Quote from: Menu on October 16, 2020, 03:11:24 AM
And he got to kiss Tina Fey!

[Dee Dee voice] He's bold as brass, him!

V

I was hoping he'd show up in Season 4 of The Crown.

And his greasy bride of frankenstein beard

That's no way to talk about Sarah Silverman.

SpiderChrist

Blue Jam

Keebleman

They should get the owner of this business.  No idea if he can act or do a Yorkshire accent but the credit would be amusing.

https://vymaps.com/ZA/Saville-James-Photography-SJP-697826723607783/

bgmnts

Get to fuck he's a treasure.

Ominous Dave

Michael Sheen needs to play Kevin Rowland in a Dexys Midnight Runners biopic before he's too old (which tbh he probably is now). Can't really see him as Savile.

(Sorry, I've added nothing.)

PlanktonSideburns

I recon glen close would smash this

neveragain

non capisco

How about free jazz singer and Pharaoh Sanders collaborator Leon Thomas? Admittedly the wrong ethnicity and a bit too dead for the role but he gets the voice spot on.

neveragain

Quote from: imitationleather on October 15, 2020, 02:40:44 PM
A few years back I saw Alistair Mcgowan play Savile in a play about the sex abuse. He was really good and captured how much of a bully the guy was very well. So him.

I wanted to catch this when it was on. Any more details of the play you can recall?

Captain Crunch

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: imitationleather on October 15, 2020, 02:40:44 PM
A few years back I saw Alistair Mcgowan play Savile in a play about the sex abuse. He was really good and captured how much of a bully the guy was very well. So him.

Yeah, I saw that too. McGowan was brilliant. He was in the theatre bar after the show and I asked him if there was one single redeeming feature about the man which he could hook onto as an actor. He said it was difficult but conceded he admired Savile's showmanship. There's a great speech in the play where Savile talks about the power of being odd. An attribute Johnson and Trump have clearly embraced.

PlanktonSideburns