Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:35:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad fans

Started by Utter Shit, October 15, 2020, 01:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

I keep reading this as Bald Fans. Can't think why.

New page the hair necessities of life won't come to you.

BritishHobo

I can't remember if it was posted on here - think I saw it on Twitter - but a while back I was reading about a similar situation to do with a West End play. This woman had spent a lot of money as a donor to a specific play, donating a regular amount that gave her access to watch rehearsals and, when the play opened, attend it whenever she wanted. She was really passionate about the play, but one of the actors seemed to be uncomfortable with her continued presence in the audience, and after she bumped into him at a train station and had an awkward encounter, she received a letter thanking her for her financial gifts but saying she was no longer welcome to attend. I believe she wrote a blog post about the situation where she talked about how upset she was to be cut off from this place where she had finally felt included, so the perspective was largely hers - but you could infer that this actor, for whom she did not have kind words, may have had an alternative view of her actions. The whole thing just left me really sad.

Famous Mortimer

That's an inevitability of the crowdfunding model, though. Feeling like part of the team is implicitly encouraged, and you sadly get experiences like that.

non capisco

The other day I tweeted at Chart Music's Simon Price, a man I have never met, to congratulate him on getting engaged and immediately thought "Is this weird? Am I a weirdo now? He's not your mate, Ross". I'm like my mum when she was thirteen, knitting ties for George Harrison.

Thursday

One weird thing about parasocial relationships now is that with podcasts and other things there's people who are sort of fairly well known for a thing, but they've still only got a few thousand followers, they're not a huge celebrity, so it can be a tricky one to navigate as there's people you can sort of talk to/joke with on twitter but still need to respect that there's a certain line.

Or in fact with Jordan Brookes for example, a lot of us knew him online, so now I might occasionally say something to him on twitter, but it's quite complicated to know what our exact relationship is.

Madhair from this site does a podcast I like with someone else who I was a fan of from a podcast they did years ago, that's quite an unusual one.

I tell my loved one daily 'contact me if you're stalked.'   They've not in 40 years so all's well.

Jockice

When I was in my late teens a mate and I used to be severely into goth band The Danse Society, who were from Barnsley and we knew vaguely through some mutual acquaintances who were much cooler than us. We once went to see them play in Birmingham (and the story of that evening will be an entire chapter in my autobiography) but after the show we were hanging around near the backstage area hoping they'd see us and say: "It's always great to see our real fans. The originals, not those Johnny-come-latelies. Thanks ever so much for coming all this way to see us. Why don't you accompany us backstage and share some drink/drugs/sexy goth girls with us?" We'd already had a chat with the drummer earlier, so we thought we were in there.

What actually happened is that the singer popped out briefly, saw us on his way back, went: "What the fuck are you doing here?" and returned to the dressing room, shutting the door firmly behind him.

Still if that hadn't happened we'd never have...you'll need to buy my book to find that out.

Menu

Quote from: Jockice on October 17, 2020, 10:31:17 AM
When I was in my late teens a mate and I used to be severely into goth band The Danse Society, who were from Barnsley and we knew vaguely through some mutual acquaintances who were much cooler than us. We once went to see them play in Birmingham (and the story of that evening will be an entire chapter in my autobiography) but after the show we were hanging around near the backstage area hoping they'd see us and say: "It's always great to see our real fans. The originals, not those Johnny-come-latelies. Thanks ever so much for coming all this way to see us. Why don't you accompany us backstage and share some drink/drugs/sexy goth girls with us?" We'd already had a chat with the drummer earlier, so we thought we were in there.

What actually happened is that the singer popped out briefly, saw us on his way back, went: "What the fuck are you doing here?" and returned to the dressing room, shutting the door firmly behind him.

Still if that hadn't happened we'd never have...you'll need to buy my book to find that out.

That's horrible. I refuse to buy another The Danse Society CD.

Jockice

Quote from: Menu on October 17, 2020, 10:35:13 AM
That's horrible. I refuse to buy another The Danse Society CD.

Just like everyone else in the world then?

JaDanketies

Once I saw the band Fear Factory at a hotel we were staying at before the Wacken festival. There were a bunch of festival-goers there and we were having a little party in the hotel room.

We said to them, "You're Fear Factory!" in the hopes of inviting them to our party.

They replied, "no, we're not."

checkoutgirl

Quote from: icehaven on October 16, 2020, 10:13:39 AM
There used to be a customer that came into a public library I worked and who was a massive, obsessive fan of Robert Lindsay. She had several keyrings with his face on that she showed us that I think she'd made herself, and the reason she used the library was because he's done a number of audiobooks and she wanted to listen to all of them. The problem was the library catalogue didn't allow you to search audiobooks by who the reader was, and even on the record it often didn't say either, so we'd have to ring up other libraries and ask them, if they had the time, could they look through their audiobook stock, pick out any read by Robert Lindsay and reserve them for this customer. They thought we and her were mad but it was something to do on quiet days and hopefully it kept her off his doorstep for another day.

But if women do it it's just a bit of fun. There was an episode of Would I Lie To You where a woman came on and admitted to somehow gaining access to a building Daniel Craig was having dinner in so she could get the plate he had dinner on so she could lick the plate. Ho ho ho they all had a good laugh. I was disturbed.

Bros had girls camped outside their mother's house and other places they frequented around London for a year or two. Mad. But girls so it's okay.

I'm reading a book by John Waters and it might be exageration but he said while filming Cry Baby at the height of Johnny Depp's teen idol phase fanatic girls enquired about obtaining the excrement from the sewage tank in Depp's trailer.

People are fucking insane and it goes on all the time. Fame warps perceptions and people get obsessed. Why do women marry men who have been jailed for raping and murdering dozens of women? You'd think they'd be wary of that kind of crazy rapist murderer but no. Charles Manson, Ted Bundy and countless other nutters had women throw themselves at them.

The power of fame. The sad, pathetic, deluded fan.

Jodie Foster's obsessed stalker shot Reagan to impress her. Maybe this Lazy Susan lad could shoot Boris Johnson and something could be salvaged from the whole affair. It would be poetic justice for cutting funding to mental health care.

Jockice

The mother of the wife of a cousin of mine told me she had a fag end that Tommy Steele cast to the ground while she was following him and kept it for years.

neveragain

Bit odd but it's a mile away from bagging up excrement.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jockice on October 17, 2020, 01:21:11 PM
The mother of the wife of a cousin of mine told me she had a fag end that Tommy Steele cast to the ground while she was following him and kept it for years.
then she got just desperate i guess

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on October 17, 2020, 10:31:17 AM
We'd already had a chat with the drummer earlier, so we thought we were in there.

it was actually the bassist. Don't know why I think it's important to correct this, but I just do.

Icehaven

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 17, 2020, 12:01:39 PM
Why do women marry men who have been jailed for raping and murdering dozens of women? You'd think they'd be wary of that kind of crazy rapist murderer but no. Charles Manson, Ted Bundy and countless other nutters had women throw themselves at them.

I read an article a while ago about a study on this and the upshot was that a lot of women who do this have been abused at some point in their lives and it's made them extremely wary and mistrustful of getting close to people, however they still want to have a relationship, so a bloke that's in prison, preferably forever, is perfect for them. They always know exactly where he is and what he's doing (or more to the point not doing), when they see each other it's in a controlled environment where nothing bad can happen, and by and large she's far more in control of the situation than he is.

Doesn't account for every case of course, and there's also the fact that some women are drawn to violent men (which even has a name, Hybristophilia), but there's a sad logic to it. You still get to have a romantic relationship but you don't have to wash his pants or worry if he's going to murder you. Which is ironic really because in a lot of cases if he could he probably would.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

You know where you stand with a murderer.

Thursday

Not saying stop, but this seems to be an extremely strange turn for the thread.

Dusty Substance

Here's a truly upsetting example of what an obsessive fan can do https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Christina_Grimmie

This story completely passed me by in 2016 (the year of high profile celebrity deaths) but when I happened upon it earlier this year, it made me properly cry - That she stood up to hug him, that her signature has a smily face, that she was just 22 . A terrible tragedy and a warning that obsessive fans can become genuinely dangerous.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Thursday on October 17, 2020, 06:53:50 PM
Not saying stop, but this seems to be an extremely strange turn for the thread.
It's just a troll-style "both sides are just as bad as each other, actually" which no-one seems to have noticed.

Icehaven

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 17, 2020, 07:46:30 PM
Here's a truly upsetting example of what an obsessive fan can do https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Christina_Grimmie

This story completely passed me by in 2016 (the year of high profile celebrity deaths) but when I happened upon it earlier this year, it made me properly cry - That she stood up to hug him, that her signature has a smily face, that she was just 22 . A terrible tragedy and a warning that obsessive fans can become genuinely dangerous.

Bloody hell, never heard about that before.

Menu

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 17, 2020, 07:46:30 PM

Fuck me. Don't live in America, kids.

Thursday

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 17, 2020, 10:01:59 PM
It's just a troll-style "both sides are just as bad as each other, actually" which no-one seems to have noticed.

I wasn't even going to bother engaging with the "Oh so it's fine when women do it!!!" comment, was hoping it would just pass by. But the turn into women who marry prisoners... it's a bit of a tangent, not entirely unrelated or uninteresting, just weird when the current focus seemed interesting enough.

mippy

Quote from: non capisco on October 17, 2020, 08:40:17 AM
The other day I tweeted at Chart Music's Simon Price, a man I have never met, to congratulate him on getting engaged and immediately thought "Is this weird? Am I a weirdo now? He's not your mate, Ross". I'm like my mum when she was thirteen, knitting ties for George Harrison.

Huh, I thought he was already married - I remember seeing his wedding photos in the mid 00s, lots of black and red.

Not comedy and game/chat streaming instead, but I came across this from a Twitch streamer that is current and absolutely insane.

https://www.insider.com/twitch-streamer-says-she-has-stalker-threatening-to-kill-her-2020-7

I've known someone be harassed at a relatively low level and a quick chat from the Babylon did the job. Where the stalker is unwilling to heed the warning it seems they're not willing or able to do much more. I know the law has changed in the last five years or so that they don't have to wait for something bad to happen, so it's insane action hasn't been taken in the story above.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 17, 2020, 12:01:39 PM
Jodie Foster's obsessed stalker shot Reagan to impress her.

Would have worked for me

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on October 18, 2020, 12:08:09 AM
Not comedy and game/chat streaming instead, but I came across this from a Twitch streamer that is current and absolutely insane.

https://www.insider.com/twitch-streamer-says-she-has-stalker-threatening-to-kill-her-2020-7

I've known someone be harassed at a relatively low level and a quick chat from the Babylon did the job. Where the stalker is unwilling to heed the warning it seems they're not willing or able to do much more. I know the law has changed in the last five years or so that they don't have to wait for something bad to happen, so it's insane action hasn't been taken in the story above.

Babylon?

Goldentony

fucking hell, once outside the Philarmonic me and two mates were waiting for someone inside before we could go and get food and pints and REGRET and all the other good stuff, and Jimmy Carr gets out of this cab that pulls up suddenly out of nowhere. We all clearly recognise him and he looks me right in the eyes like a shark and he knows we know him but none of us say a word and just offer this untold knowing as from behind a crowd of men with photos and pens all start going JIM JIM JIM JIM JIM JIM JIM JIM JIM

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 17, 2020, 10:01:59 PM
It's just a troll-style

Nonchalantly accusing someone of being a troll could be viewed as a "troll-style". Mission accomplished  because you've annoyed me.

My point was if a man went on national TV saying he snuck into a building to lick a plate of someone he was obsessed with people would say call the police. That's linked to the subject of weird fans. Really sorry for not staying exactly within your expectations for the thread.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Thursday on October 17, 2020, 11:47:30 PM
I wasn't even going to bother engaging with the "Oh so it's fine when women do it!!!"

Why not? Is the argument beneath your contempt? That's the best way to have a discussion and learn and impart. Just decide everyone's a troll and not bother your hole.