Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:46:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oxford Nerds Create 5 Minute Test

Started by Cuellar, October 15, 2020, 05:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18797785.oxford-scientists-make-five-minute-coronavirus-test/

So that's a nice time to be able to know if you've got covid isn't it?

However

QuoteThey hope to incorporate the company by the end of the year, start product development in early 2021, and have an approved device available within six months of that time.

A mixed bag.

bgmnts

"Do you have symptoms of Covid?

No."

Takes about 3 seconds.

pancreas

^ produces quite a few false negatives, I think.

jamiefairlie

Yeah that sums up the whole problem 'nah mate, feel fine' spread spread spread.

Ferris

lipsink

jobotic

Looking forward to the distribution being given to a company owned by a Durham University alumni that owns no vehicles, so dumps them in the woods.

olliebean

Dogs, mate. I'm telling you. They can pick it up in seconds.

idunnosomename

well get this, poindexter! *pulls a wedgie*

Uncle TechTip

Why can't they just stick it under a microscope and look, for heaven's sake.

GMTV

Yet we're vaguely promised a fully proven, verified and mass manufactured vaccine in about 6 months or so.

Cuellar

Cuellar

Just can't see it happening. Doesn't seem likely.

GMTV

I highly doubt this virus will be mitigated by a vaccine any time soon. It'll either fizzle out once its gone through the majority of the population or because of a mutation, or else remain a persistent menace as it is now and long term changes in our behaviour will be required.

Even if they find on a lab scale a vaccine that appears to work, turning that into wide scale successful vaccination is still a huge task. Easily take a year to get a plant developed, up and running and sufficiently tested to start mass dosing people with the vaccine. And that's everything going smoothly. Could well hit some kind of delay in the scale up of the vaccine production or realisation that the vaccine is ineffective or dangerous to certain groups of people.

I'm a huge fan of modern medicine lol (ie not an anti vaxxer), but I have to admit I'd be a bit concerned receiving a hastily developed vaccine. Particularly as perhaps naively think I'd stand a good chance against the 'vid anyway. Which is selfish as part of everyone getting the vaccine is the famous herd immunity, but I dunno I guess self preservation kicks in and would want some assurances any vaccine had been assessed by the usual standards of safety. Which makes me think would a significant chunk of the population feel the same way to the extent that even with a vaccine available we wouldn't be in much of a better place than we currently are.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

We China could test it on lower forms of human life first, like the Chinese.