Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:39:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Random Meetings With Former Musical Heroes.

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, October 15, 2020, 11:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Got chatting in a bar with the former lead singer with top 86 era Peel " shambling" band ( that's what they were called  at the time, every bit as valid as the term " Shoegazing" a few years later, we made our own labels in them days) types The Noseflutes this evening. Fond reminiscences of the blatantly Beehheart influenced bands of the time, the Ron Johnson record label, The Adelphi Club in Hull, and a heated debate regarding having a preference for The Prefects over The Nightingales.

Can any reader beat this? Maybe you've found yourself deep in a grand old conversation with the feller who used to play bass for Chapterhouse; or maybe you were David Bowie's lover for a number of years. Write in and tell us!

If Brundle-fly doesnae respond to this thread, I'll be a little disappointed, I must say.

Goldentony

Wish I could remember the name but in the fall of sodom era of the New Deal the Job Centre offered music courses and the guy they got me to see in a tiny back room of the place had brought a guitar and also a copy of his single from the 80s which got to the lower ends of the top 40. He fitted carpets and worked for the dole as some sort of contracted guitar man whos conned the government into letting him do that as a living. Asked if I fancied a guitar lesson next week at the dole, declined. Very nearly agreed and would have had one of the worst memories I could have had, but I fucked off and cancelled.

I then went to LIPA where people out of more notable bands with higher charting singles got to do the same thing until the New Deal's contract with LIPA ran out at the end of the course I failed badly, overall, I learned fuck all. But did meet members of The Farm, China Crisis and if i'd hung round long enough would have probably seen Pete Wylie, 10 or so former members of The La's and Paul Mcartney. Thing is I had no idea any of them were in The Farm or China Crisis and it took about two weeks to clock it. Not a fucking clue. Bereft of the clues, Lisa

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

A friend of mine once did the Jobseekers Deal thing with one of the young ladies what did the backing vocals on top 1980 hit " 7 Teen" by The Regents. As far as I'm aware from my friend's account of this experience, not all the female members of that particular club loved to hate her, but one or two of the male members may have wanted to date her ( whilst timing their date request to her to coincide with the day before their giro was due).

* checks watch*

Where *is* Brundle-Fly?

Famous Mortimer

My friend Helen took me to a nice backstreet pub in London once, and I got chatting to a friendly fella called Max. Turns out it was Max Splodge off of Splodgenessabounds, who...well, not a musical hero, but I enjoyed his singles.

the science eel

The singer from the Zutons in Berlin Ostbahnhof McDonald's late one night in 2008 after a Fall gig (he hadn't been - he was doing his own gig). I wouldn't have started talking to him but he was grumbling about paper napkins so I gave him a handful. Nice fella, we talked for a good while. He invited me to a party but I said no.

the science eel

and ALL of Teenage Fanclub were behind me in a queue in a bakery in Granada in 2011. I couldn't help exclaiming 'TEENAGE FANCLUB!' when I saw them. They all put their heads down.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Goldentony on October 16, 2020, 12:00:23 AM
Wish I could remember the name but in the fall of sodom era of the New Deal the Job Centre offered music courses and the guy they got me to see in a tiny back room of the place had brought a guitar and also a copy of his single from the 80s which got to the lower ends of the top 40. He fitted carpets and worked for the dole as some sort of contracted guitar man whos conned the government into letting him do that as a living. Asked if I fancied a guitar lesson next week at the dole, declined. Very nearly agreed and would have had one of the worst memories I could have had, but I fucked off and cancelled.

I then went to LIPA where people out of more notable bands with higher charting singles got to do the same thing until the New Deal's contract with LIPA ran out at the end of the course I failed badly, overall, I learned fuck all. But did meet members of The Farm, China Crisis and if i'd hung round long enough would have probably seen Pete Wylie, 10 or so former members of The La's and Paul Mcartney. Thing is I had no idea any of them were in The Farm or China Crisis and it took about two weeks to clock it. Not a fucking clue. Bereft of the clues, Lisa
Sort of related to this, but when I was on the dole in 2003 or so, I was offered through the New Deal thingy a chance to do some sort of music engineering course in Liverpool. As I was living in West Cumbria at the time, this was a bit difficult, but I went down for the day anyways out of boredom. Plus there was a girl I fancied in Manchester who offered to drive us there if I could get a train to Piccadilly.

Anyways, the guy running the course was a decent sort who took us to the fancy studio in the city where the likes of Coldplay had worked. At one point, he mentioned he'd once drummed with OMD, which seemed impressive. Presumably, as he wasn't Malcolm Holmes, he'd been one of the numerous session players Andy McCluskey hired for those albums in the 90s.

idunnosomename

lol i went on the new deal for musicians too. I went to LIPA and everything. Six months of not pretending to get a shitty job. Course i realise now must've been a good wheeze for the mentors too who got a bit of pocket money for nothing (if not chicks for free)

Then comes along IDS to turn even genuine hardship on the dole to be a fucking deso ballcrush. Swings and roundabouts.

crankshaft

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 16, 2020, 10:57:47 AM
Sort of related to this, but when I was on the dole in 2003 or so, I was offered through the New Deal thingy a chance to do some sort of music engineering course in Liverpool. As I was living in West Cumbria at the time, this was a bit difficult, but I went down for the day anyways out of boredom. Plus there was a girl I fancied in Manchester who offered to drive us there if I could get a train to Piccadilly.

Anyways, the guy running the course was a decent sort who took us to the fancy studio in the city where the likes of Coldplay had worked. At one point, he mentioned he'd once drummed with OMD, which seemed impressive. Presumably, as he wasn't Malcolm Holmes, he'd been one of the numerous session players Andy McCluskey hired for those albums in the 90s.

Almost certainly Stuart Kershaw, who was Andy's main collaborator in the post-split version of OMD. And since Mal had his heart attack, he's been drumming for OMD once more.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 15, 2020, 11:34:38 PM
And a heated debate regarding having a preference for The Prefects over The Nightingales.

You know that phrase 'never meet your heroes'? It should be 'never meet Robert Lloyd.' He's a tit.

I've never ever met any other musician ever though.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: crankshaft on October 16, 2020, 11:21:17 AM
Almost certainly Stuart Kershaw, who was Andy's main collaborator in the post-split version of OMD. And since Mal had his heart attack, he's been drumming for OMD once more.
Could have been, I can't for the life of me remember the name or even what the fellow looked like. However, it does seem a bit unlikely someone who'd co-written actual big hit singles would be teaching a course for dolewallers such as myself. You've got my questioning whether he said he was a drummer, now, though I'm pretty sure the OMD part is right.

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 16, 2020, 01:14:26 PM
Could have been, I can't for the life of me remember the name or even what the fellow looked like. However, it does seem a bit unlikely someone who'd co-written actual big hit singles would be teaching a course for dolewallers such as myself. You've got my questioning whether he said he was a drummer, now, though I'm pretty sure the OMD part is right.
If it was in the city centre it was probably Parr Street Studios too (formerly Amazon, which moved there from it's original home in Kirkby Industrial Estate). It's soon to be demolished to make way for a hotel and luxury apartments, Gentrification, eh?

Could it have been Phil Coxon? He played keyboards in post-split OMD as well production and remix work on the records. He also has done a lot of work at Parr Street.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on October 16, 2020, 01:54:15 PMCould it have been Phil Coxon? He played keyboards in post-split OMD as well production and remix work on the records. He also has done a lot of work at Parr Street.
Looking at pics of him from a Google search, probably not. It was probably a much more minor player in the OMD story. Though it does seem like Parr Street studio was the one I got shown around (part of the course involved spending a day there), so there could be a connection between Coxon and my mystery figure.

Goldentony

Yeah it's Parr St if he mentioned Coldplay.

Dunno if it's the case any more, but the only scousers in LIPA when I went were either on the New Deal or staff and as mentioned it gave people in 80s bands who hadn't written There She Goes a steady wage and also let the bands nick plug extensions and the occasional channel switch pedal or delay effect and not have to pay for a room somewhere else in a shitter building, and near enough every time it'd be justified with

"it's fuckin' Macca!"

and now i'm not the judge and jury here but if you ask me thats a fine reason

Bently Sheds

I bought Slowdive's last album from FOPP on a day trip to Cambridge a year or so ago and, whilst ringing up my purchase, the chap behind the counter said "Ah, Slowdive. Their bass player is a regular shopper here."

I realise that

• this isn't a random meeting
  • the bass player from Slowdive is not my musical hero
But it's the nearest I've got to knowingly rubbing shoulders with a professional musical person.

SteveDave

I too was on the New Deal for Musicians but in Cardiff so I didn't meet anyone famous. Although someone once came into the studio that was in the place we went as we were recording and said we had a "Velvet Underground vibe" Apparently he was in the Thompson Twins but I don't know which one. He was male and white so I guess it'll the male white one.

Fun fact- The studio was the only one in Cardiff that recorded on tape so when Paul McCartney asked Super Furry Animals to do that "Free Now" song the tapes arrived from Abbey Road in a Securicor van, were recorded onto DAT and then taken back to Abbey Road. My manager said it was amazing listening to the tapes and there were "loads of songs I've never heard" on them.

I believe my old manager is responsible for leaking this to the bootleggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQdcpmFQOZs

non capisco

Second hand one, a friend used to work in the WHSmiths at Heathrow airport and sees someone who looks very much to be Pere Ubu's David Thomas in the queue. When he gets to serve the guy my friend says "Sorry, but were you the singer in Pere Ubu?" Thomas then bellows at my friend "WHADDYA MEAN 'WERE'?? I'M STILL THE SINGER IN PERE UBU!!" and immediately leaves without taking or paying for his book.

sevendaughters

i. one of Stereolab was a boss in a non-musical job
ii. i was synth tech-ing (plugging in and pressing the keys) for a mate's band in Liverpool when Andy McCluskey of OMD (who introduced himself as "hi I'm Andy McCluskey from OMD") came to ogle the synth and tell me arcane things about it.

that's it.

Brundle-Fly

I once went to a house party in the late eighties and met Melissa and Tracey from Voice Of The Beehive and one of their boyfriends who was Chris, the guitarist from Stump. They were very friendly, tipsy and enjoyed me blowing smoke up their collective arse.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 18, 2020, 09:41:09 PMii. i was synth tech-ing (plugging in and pressing the keys) for a mate's band in Liverpool when Andy McCluskey of OMD (who introduced himself as "hi I'm Andy McCluskey from OMD") came to ogle the synth and tell me arcane things about it.
Back in 1999 or so, my kid brother's band were doing some mixing and/or mastering in a Merseyside studio (no idea why they went so far). He got a bit bored with it all after a way and stepped out in the hallway, where there were numerous Platinum/Gold discs on the walls for sales on various OMD albums. He was looking at one when a voice behind him said:

"That's from my old band".

Lo, it was yer man McCluskey. Our lad had no idea who he was and said something like "I think my brother likes your stuff". When he got home, he asked if I had a picture of "Dark Orchestra, or something" to confirm it was really the same guy.

Ferris

Loads of shit ones from playing in a landfill indie band from the late '00s, including being denied a lift on a scooter owned by the keyboardist from reverend and the makers. Chap from the paddingtons tried to nick a nice jacket I left backstage but I caught him in the act and he sheepishly took it off and offered me some coke. Halcyon days.

Friend met the (a?) guitar player from strawberry alarm clock in a bar in Acapulco, apparently he was a bit weird. Alright cheers.

Neville Chamberlain

I've never spoken to him, but it seems I live in the same neighbourhood of Berlin as legendary Faust drummer Werner 'Zappi' Diermaier. I've seen him a couple of times around the shops down the road from me. One time he was strolling along the pavement with Jean-Hervé Peron; the other couple of times I've seen him he was traipsing along the pavement looking a little worn out with (presumably) his grandchildren and carrying a couple of school satchels.

Keebleman

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 18, 2020, 09:51:58 PM
I once went to a house party in the late eighties and met Melissa and Tracey from Voice Of The Beehive and one of their boyfriends who was Chris, the guitarist from Stump. They were very friendly, tipsy and enjoyed me blowing smoke up their collective arse.

Whew, very envious!

Nick Cave was a regular in a Bayswater bookshop I worked in.  He would arrange the poetry section so the single volume we had of his poems was facing out.  As soon as he left we would rearrange it so it was spine-on.  Don't think we ever sold it.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 18, 2020, 09:51:58 PM

Tracey went out with Steve Mack from that Petrol Emotion at one point. I went to their soundcheck once to do an interview with one of them and started chatting to her. She asked if I had a spare cigarette. I said no (perfectly truthfully as in fact I had no cigarettes at all). She then went off to scrounge off someone else but said: "If I get one do you want one too?" I said yes of course. I was only a very occasional smoker but I'd never had a fag with a glamorous pop star before.

holyzombiejesus

Met Kim Fowley in Manchester. He was stood on his own near the bar in the venue we were in and we got talking to him. He gave us all a copy of his CD (which we hadn't asked for) and signed them to us and then invited us to a party back at his hotel. When we got to the hotel, he turned round and said "Get away from me" in front of loads of music industry people which was a bit humiliating. This was before he was exposed as a paedophile and a rapist.

grainger

Quote from: Keebleman on October 19, 2020, 08:16:11 AM
Whew, very envious!

Nick Cave was a regular in a Bayswater bookshop I worked in.  He would arrange the poetry section so the single volume we had of his poems was facing out.  As soon as he left we would rearrange it so it was spine-on.  Don't think we ever sold it.

I saw Nick Cave many years ago having a meal with his kids in a tiny and very crowded Brighton cafe. He stared right at me as he left the cafe (I was by the door, and to be fair, it might have been because while I tried to leave him be, I probably did so in a very obtrusive way (massive double take etc.)). Also, my other half had nearly (accidentally) hit him on a head with a drinks tray when she turned away from the counter; however he hadn't noticed this, because she was behind him, so that couldn't be the reason for his eyes drilling into my soul. We'd been listening to one of his albums in the car not long before we went into the cafe, so it all felt a bit weird.

My only other brush with rock/pop stars has to be seeing Rick Parfitt in a London pub (fuck knows where). There was a young metal band playing to an empty room, and he went up and talked to them. No idea if he already knew them or if he was just interested.

Actually, and scraping the barrel further, I remember now that my school got the bloke who wrote Starting Together for Sue Pollard to judge a battle of the bands competition. His insight was much appreciated.

I saw Nick Cave somewhere between Covent Garden and Soho in about 87/88, he was wearing a plain, pastel blue v-neck Pringle jumper with beige slacks and looked cool as fuck.

wosl

Quote from: Jockice on October 16, 2020, 12:10:05 PMI've never ever met any other musician ever though.

Just pretend you have. No one here's going to be in a position to check the facts, are they.

Jockice

Quote from: wosl on October 19, 2020, 03:29:46 PM
Just pretend you have. No one here's going to be in a position to check the facts, are they.

Shh. Don't tell them my secret.