Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:47:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Refuseniks (or: okayyyyyy, boomer)

Started by touchingcloth, October 16, 2020, 03:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

looks like someone's been flushing their Kentucky Fried Chicken

Ominous Dave

Ten years ago we used to worry that Facebook would warp the minds of young people, turns out it's actually warped the minds of old people. And as usual, petit-bourgeois anti-authoritarian sentiment is directed towards everyone other than those who actually have power. And then there's the general 'Ever Decreasing Circles' type obsession with banal suburban nonsense that middle-aged people with no real inner lives tend to care about. The trouble is that these cunts are in charge now.

(I always wonder how the kind of people who wank on about 'the spirit of the Blitz' would actually react if someone really dropped a bomb on their house.)

Sebastian Cobb

they wouldn't like it but they'd have to go along with it.

Ominous Dave

The anti-mask bullshit strikes me as just a more mainstream version of the 'freemen of the land' crap. Revolutionary politics for people whose highlight of the week is spending their Sunday afternoons in B&Q.

peanutbutter

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 16, 2020, 03:01:28 PM
The face covering in question was a thick woollen scarf. To stick it to the man she spent 3 hours on a plane with a big old scarf wrapped round her face, I imagine to absolutely no one%u2019s discomfort or inconvenience other than her own.
Except she didn't keep it over her face. If fell down to her chin within 5 minutes of sitting down.

It's wild how many old people I see out wearing masks that are barely getting to their mouth, let alone their nose. Does your nose just become extremely flaccid as you get older and can't keep a mask up?

Quote from: Ominous Dave on October 16, 2020, 06:35:10 PM
Ten years ago we used to worry that Facebook would warp the minds of young people, turns out it's actually warped the minds of old people.
Was always gonna be that way, just about capable of using the tech, absolutely zero built up resistance to its bullshit. I'd be inclined to say local newspapers 20+ years ago were probably just as toxic as facebook is now, just without the feedback loop to make it someone's whole identity. And those shitrags were generally ate up unquestioningly (in my area at least) due to being the only source of news.

Ominous Dave

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 16, 2020, 06:43:01 PM
Was always gonna be that way, just about capable of using the tech, absolutely zero built up resistance to its bullshit. I'd be inclined to say local newspapers 20+ years ago were probably just as toxic as facebook is now, just without the feedback loop to make it someone's whole identity. And those shitrags were generally ate up unquestioningly (in my area at least) due to being the only source of news.

Yeah, for a lot of my older non-tech-savvy relatives Facebook basically *is* the internet. And they treat it like an editorially-curated reliable source of news just like it's a local newspaper (which, as you point out, were already pretty shit sources of reliable information to begin with).

We just should never have let normal people onto the internet, should we? They've fucked it. In the late 90s we thought the nerds had won, but ultimately they've lost (apart from the far-right neo-Nazi ones who seem to be doing rather well at the moment).

Icehaven

Quote from: Ominous Dave on October 16, 2020, 06:53:46 PM
Yeah, for a lot of my older non-tech-savvy relatives Facebook basically *is* the internet. And they treat it like an editorially-curated reliable source of news just like it's a local newspaper (which, as you point out, were already pretty shit sources of reliable information to begin with).

This is occasionally my Mum exactly. She's in her early 80s so you have to give her some leeway but she's been on fb for quite a few years now and over that time I've had several conversations with her about why people post a load of bollocks on there, or have absurd arguments, or get upset over nothing. Originally she seemed surprised and confused as to why people behaved so differently on there to how people behave in real life and didn't quite get the difference between a relatively reliable news source and any old T D or H's page because they basically look the same on fb, but she gets it a bit more now, and she's slightly more critical of what she reads as well and doesn't take everything as if it's gospel so much (mostly anyway.)

Rizla

Was always gonna be that way, just about capable of using the tech, absolutely zero built up resistance to its bullshit.

Yeah, I used to love titting about on facebook, being funny and silly and creative and stuff, then one day my gran barged into a daft thread i'd started (about what was the smallest amount of money you'd ever fobbed off an LRT bus driver with - 17p in my case) and gave me a virtual clipped ear. Fuck that, binned. (fb, not gran. kicked her in the cunt)

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Youngest sister was staying with the olds while between jobs and whatsapped me one evening saying she couldn't take much more, the ma and da were arguing over which one of them was the most deaf

the argument consisted of the two of them saying "Wha'?" "Wha'?" on repeat

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on October 16, 2020, 07:57:58 PM
Youngest sister was staying with the olds while between jobs and whatsapped me one evening saying she couldn't take much more, the ma and da were arguing over which one of them was the most deaf

WHA?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on October 16, 2020, 07:57:58 PM

My mum finally swallowed her pride after years of bullying persuasion  and got some rinkydink hearing aids. It's changed her life in really positive ways, shame she didn't do it 10 years earlier.

Ferris

Except she didn't keep it over her face. If fell down to her chin within 5 minutes of sitting down.

It's wild how many old people I see out wearing masks that are barely getting to their mouth, let alone their nose.

It's bonkers to me as well. Boomers are the ones at most risk, I'm amazed they aren't taking it all incredibly seriously. I would be.

Sebastian Cobb

My mum was a nurse and pretty much everyone in her circle of friends was a nurse or clinical staff of some description. A lot of her friends are still playing fast and loose with the rule of 6, my mum turned down meeting them for something that was to be in a restaurant, I think just outside brum with some of them driving and sharing cars. You'd think they'd know better, some of them must be 70 by now.

I think as well they are more comfortable with some of these risks because of how much relative space they have, yes they live in brum, but it's in the outskirts with houses with decent gardens, they probably drive to a lot of places now, so they're more 'spaced out' compared to me, who lives in a tenement and has to cycle or walk through some busy streets to get shopping and find it easier to just stay in.

Ferris

There's definitely an element of that. Different classes of people experience the pandemic differently.

That said, if there was a plague out there for my demographic that "roll a dice; if you rolled an even number it puts you in hospital, if you rolled a 6 it puts you in a box" I'd be in my bunker regardless of where I live.

I'd definitely be wearing a mask, and following all the guidelines at a minimum. Whenever I see someone making a point of flaunting the rules, it's always someone 60+ which baffles me.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I don't get it.

I wonder if being retired nurses may even make them worse in a Dunning-Kruger way.

(I always wonder how the kind of people who wank on about 'the spirit of the Blitz' would actually react if someone really dropped a bomb on their house.)

They'd get on the blower to Piers Taylor and take the opportunity to build an unnecessarily over sized forever home that reflected their personalities with the insurance money.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 16, 2020, 05:26:07 PM
There was a thread on my Nextdoor app the other day from someone complaining that a neighbour had been using her wheelie bin WITHOUT ASKING. She was threatening to get a padlock.

I remember when I was younger throwing all the cans and bottles from a house party into my friends' neighbour's bin so their mum didn't find out. Cue the neighbour knocking on the door with a bag full of cans and grassing us up later that day.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 16, 2020, 09:18:46 PM
I remember when I was younger throwing all the cans and bottles from a house party into my friends' neighbour's bin so their mum didn't find out. Cue the neighbour knocking on the door with a bag full of cans and grassing us up later that day.
What a cunt.

I remember when I was about 15 and sat on a wall smoking a fag with a mate one day outside a supermarket when my next-door neighbour walked past, we saw each other but obviously it's all schrodinger until your parents are pulling you up on it. Which they did after someone told them. That annoyed me for years, he died a while back and I in a wistful, rather than still bitter way, mentioned that to my mum and she said 'nah, it wasn't him that told me it was his wife'. Which means he wasn't the grass after all, he might've mentioned it in passing, he might not have mentioned it at all and she spotted me smoking rollies in the garden.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 16, 2020, 04:45:08 PM
You kids today wouldn't survive the Blitz, you're too soft, says tedious old fuck who can't even wear a mask for ten minutes if it means saving someone else's life.

'Nobody tells me to wear a gas mask, and squat underground like a cowering mole. Nobody tells me that I can't exercise my god-given right to take a good deep draught of delicious mustard gas during my evening stroll. My home is my castle. Nobody tells me to put nasty blackout blinds up on the windows, etc. etc.'

touchingcloth

Ten years ago we used to worry that Facebook would warp the minds of young people, turns out it's actually warped the minds of old people. And as usual, petit-bourgeois anti-authoritarian sentiment is directed towards everyone other than those who actually have power. And then there's the general 'Ever Decreasing Circles' type obsession with banal suburban nonsense that middle-aged people with no real inner lives tend to care about. The trouble is that these cunts are in charge now.

The other irony is that people like my mother in law warn about dark conspiracies of governments collecting data on our every waking moment in order to control and abuse us.

And post these warnings on Facebook.

Menu

Quote from: Rizla on October 16, 2020, 07:31:43 PM
Yeah, I used to love titting about on facebook, being funny and silly and creative and stuff, then one day my gran barged into a daft thread i'd started (about what was the smallest amount of money you'd ever fobbed off an LRT bus driver with - 17p in my case) and gave me a virtual clipped ear. Fuck that, binned. (fb, not gran. kicked her in the cunt)

Yes there was a brief period in 2007 when Facebook was genuinely a lot of fun. But we made the mistake of telling everyone else about it. Now it's all ultrasounds and lynchings.

Ominous Dave

To be fair, the Rule of 6 thing means people who just have fewer than 5 friends to begin with can do what they want and are laughing.

(NB: We are not actually laughing. Except in a slightly mad pre-apocalyptic way which means we will actually have even fewer friends by the morning.)

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Thomas on October 16, 2020, 04:45:15 PM
Once I was talking to [redacted relative] and she employed two racist, contradictory clichés within a single minute: that migrants were taking all the jobs and sitting around doing nothing on the dole.

Since moving from the UK to Ireland, I've heard a few racists complain about migrants - apparently forgetting that I, too, sitting across from them, came over on a plane and took a job. I'm not visibly 'from elsewhere', so it's different, I suppose. So much of this casual nationalism, spouted in harmless, shrugging tones by uncles and in-laws, is about skin colour. They won't admit it - it would blow their cover, or force them to confront things - but it is.

And Brits living abroad are ex-pats, not immigrants. A family friend got very upset about being called an immigrant (by me). The word has become a pejorative.

touchingcloth

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 17, 2020, 07:04:00 AM
And Brits living abroad are ex-pats, not immigrants. A family friend got very upset about being called an immigrant (by me). The word has become a pejorative.

As a Brit living abroad, I embrace the term migrant, and am very apologetic about it. Ex-pats are the worst. A local friend the other day asked if I would help a British friend of theirs get their Portuguese residency papers. I said sure, but when I met them it turned out they had been living in the country for over six years, and wanted help with the paperwork because they don't speak a word of Portuguese. I hate that uniquely British mindset of not just realising that you can go to other countries and usually find someone who can speak English, but also taking it a step further and just not deciding to learn any words at all in other languages.

touchingcloth

My mother-in-law has form for acting the cunt on planes. I remember travelling with her once on a Ryanair flight, and at the departure gate she had her hand luggage weighed and it was over 10kg. She huffed and puffed with her arguing for a bit, and at one point went "well, I weighed my case this morning and it was definitely under 10kg. Your scales probably aren't calibrated correctly. Can you PROVE they are accurate?"

The attendant reached for a ring binder and pulled out a very official-looking embossed and signed certificate confirming the accuracy of that particular set of scale and dated that same morning. She muttered "bloody ridiculous" under her breath, but realised she'd been comprehensively bested. A great day.

That said the airline policies are sort of ridiculous, because the solution wasn't for her to jettison any baggage, just to wear several layers of jumpers and hats and carry a couple of books under her arm, so the weight of the plane changed not a jot.

Bazooka

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 17, 2020, 08:30:24 AMI hate that uniquely British mindset of not just realising that you can go to other countries and usually find someone who can speak English, but also taking it a step further and just not deciding to learn any words at all in other languages.

It's not uniquely British at all.

buttgammon

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 17, 2020, 07:04:00 AM

I bloody hate this, and insist on referring to myself as an immigrant in front of racist family members. You can see their confusion, partly because they don't realise Ireland is independent but mostly because I'm not a bad brown man fresh off the dinghy to steal their jobs (they're all comfortably retired).