Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:23:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Thailand

Started by bgmnts, October 16, 2020, 05:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

To add to the glorious cocktail that is 2020, there have been protests for the past day in Thailand, to which the government responded with a certain zeal, creating a severe state of emergency.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/15/thailand-uses-emergency-decree-to-ban-gatherings-after-bangkok-protests

Lots of stuff on twitter about the scuffers beating the shit out of protestors etc.

Absolute cracker of a year, this.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on October 16, 2020, 05:02:54 PM
Absolute cracker of a year, this.

I don't think for one second we've experienced the worst of it yet...

Polymorphia

In 2030 we'll be writhing in our beds dreaming how good it used to be, in 2020

Pinball

War with China next year.

wooders1978

Remember when cardboard straws were the biggest affront to our civil liberties in modern memory?

Twit 2

QDRPHNC

Cofevfe remember that?

Paul Calf

The significance of this is that the protestors are criticising the royal family, which is socially and legally a HUGE red flag in Thailand. You can get 15 years for even the mildest criticism, so directly protesting royal presence is likely to get you the paedo treatment at the Bangkok Hilton.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Polymorphia on May 03, 2010, 06:52:11 AM
In 2020 we'll be writhing in our beds dreaming how good it used to be, in 2010

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 17, 2020, 09:14:17 PM
You can get 15 years for even the mildest criticism.

How mild are we talking? Stuff like "not really a fan" or "looks like a nonce"?

Butchers Blind

He does like a crop top and a mistress.

Alberon

I'm not surprised they're rioting. The king doesn't even bother with the most basic bits of ruling. He spends most of the year living in Bavaria of all places with his harem which is partly what sparked the troubles.

The guy is a fucking arse (there goes my holiday to Thailand) and the sooner he is stripped of his money and power and kicked out in the street the better.

Cold Meat Platter

He looks like Theresa May's husbandoid in that photo.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on October 17, 2020, 09:26:29 PM
How mild are we talking? Stuff like "not really a fan" or "looks like a nonce"?

Yes. In 2007 a Swiss man was arrested Chiang Mai went round defacing photos of the king by spraying them with black paint. He was given 10 years but was pardoned after two.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-lesemajeste-idUSBKK7698820070329

Recently, a woman was given 60 years for critical Facebook posts and a 90-year-old man was jailed for forwarding text message jokes.

You've got to be really fucking careful there.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Alberon on October 17, 2020, 10:04:25 PM
I'm not surprised they're rioting. The king doesn't even bother with the most basic bits of ruling. He spends most of the year living in Bavaria of all places with his harem which is partly what sparked the troubles.

The guy is a fucking arse (there goes my holiday to Thailand) and the sooner he is stripped of his money and power and kicked out in the street the better.

Not to mention the leaked video of the million-baht birthday party for his pet poodle at which his then-fiancée was forced to wait his table naked.

Vajiralongkorn is a boorish fucking oaf.

Cold Meat Platter

*leans in*
I mean this guy sounds like a real jerk.

Urinal Cake

But if he ran for President he'd probably get it.

bgmnts

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 17, 2020, 10:15:18 PM
Not to mention the leaked video of the million-baht birthday party for his pet poodle at which his then-fiancée was forced to wait his table naked.

Vajiralongkorn is a boorish fucking oaf.

So far have the Thai people been thick royalist cunts like us or is it pure deference like these prison sentences suggest?

touchingcloth

Is the Thailands like the K Pops where they behead you if you say they're crap? If so THE THAILANDS IS CRAP.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: bgmnts on October 17, 2020, 10:22:38 PM
So far have the Thai people been thick royalist cunts like us or is it pure deference like these prison sentences suggest?
The previous king was pretty popular because of helping transitions to democracy and keeping relative peace through multiple military coups/dictatorships.