Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:02:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No backdated council tax for Dominic

Started by Fambo Number Mive, October 16, 2020, 06:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteCouncil tax must be paid on the second home in Durham in which Dominic Cummings and his family stayed during the lockdown, a government agency has ruled.

But the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) decided not to backdate thousands of pounds in unpaid council taxes on the property since it was built on his parents' North Lodge estate in 2002 without permission.

The issue was referred to the VOA in June after Durham county council found there had been historical breaches of planning and building control regulation during the construction of the property and the conversion of another into two homes. At the time the council said it could not take enforcement action against the family because of a time limit on such measures.

The council has now confirmed that after the VOA's ruling, the Cummings family will, from this month, have to pay three separate council tax bills for the homes at North Lodge, instead of the one bill the family has been paying until now...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/14/dominic-cummings-must-pay-council-tax-on-second-home-in-durham

Wouldn't people usually have to pay backdated council tax in such a case?

bgmnts

QuoteA full Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

Pretty fucking simple stuff.

Hate these horrible corrupt gobshite cunts being utter fucking cunts while half of us are miserable, homeless, hungry and fucked.

Pinball

Houses built illegally often get demolished. But not when it's Dom. Dom doesn't obey the rules, and gets off scot free. He's a Tory elite metaphor, I guess.

touchingcloth

I really, really, really hate it when people say this, but on this occasion can we please just nuke it from orbit?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Pinball on October 16, 2020, 06:15:45 PM
Houses built illegally often get demolished. But not when it's Dom. Dom doesn't obey the rules, and gets off scot free. He's a Tory elite metaphor, I guess.
The council only has 12 months to request an alteration/demolition or 24 months to take someone to court for illegal building work, and the house is substantially older than that (2002). The council tax thing is very suspicious, although I'm not sure if it's the council or the valuation board that's at fault (the article blames the VAR but it's the council that certifies completion dates and levies council tax). But not telling the council about something is not a defence for avoiding council tax. And "we can't be bothered" is not a good defence for the council to use.

The only comfort is that it's quite hard to sell property without proper building permissions/completion certificates/etc, so they're almost worthless except as bolt-holes for scared special advisors.

Ominous Dave

For someone who has possibly the most piss-takeable name in the history of school playgrounds, I think he's done pretty well for himself. Should be a lesson for parents: if you give your child a totally fucking stupid name, they too might rise to become an undemocratically-powerful proto-fascist shitbag.

(Was actually just thinking of doing a 'Zombies consider rewrite on second track of 'Odessey and Oracle'' joke, but realised that was both too obscure and unfunny to bother with. Sorry.)

Jittlebags

Lets not forget that Cummings' father in law owns a castle - a fucking castle. Sir Humphry Tyrrell Wakefield erstwhile owner of Chillingham Castle Northumbria. Owner of half black, half white horse that he named Barrack.

People need to remember that Cummings isn't just a jumped up weasley gobsite, with ideas above his station, but a fully fledged member of the ruling Tory elite.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotethe article blames the VAR

Is there anything that won't get blamed for?

evilcommiedictator

This doesn't look good for Jeremy Corbin