Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:20:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Polish vodka

Started by Pingers, October 16, 2020, 10:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pingers

I'm running out of vodka - the alarm is going off. Clearly this is completely unacceptable and needs remedying pretty quickly. There is a really good Polish shop up the road that sells Krupnik, Wyborowa, Zubrowka (I've got a bottle of bison grass but they sell the normal variety as well) and Soplica. Which to get, CaB?

jobotic

Dunno, only had bison grass Zubrowka and you have that. It's lovely, Fancy one now.

Let us know.

Sebastian Cobb

Love how you're familiar enough to know the exact brands of vodka your polski sklep sells but still puzzled. Roll the dice or ask matey behind the counter.

hamfist

I like Wyborowa, especially the various fruity sweet ones - love raspberry best of all

Pingers

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 16, 2020, 10:22:04 PM
Love how you're familiar enough to know the exact brands of vodka your polski sklep sells but still puzzled. Roll the dice or ask matey behind the counter.

Ha, I go in there a lot and every time I eye up the spirits shelf (which I do in any shop selling booze to be honest). Bought some Krupnik original (spice and honey) from there which is really nice. It's all going to be decent though isn't it (unlike the beer)?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Living in Poland for a year put me right off Polish vodka. That Bison Vodka is the one with the long blade of grass in the middle of the bottle that You're supposed to drink with apple juice, right? Just the very thought of it makes me want to throw up all over the place.

Sebastian Cobb

I used to get beer from the Polish shops on the way home quite regularly. Tyskie and Żywiec are fine as far as mass-produced beers go.

I used to go to get ingredients for food quite regularly, but the only time I've been mistaken as a Pole is when I've been in and grabbed a couple of beers and plonked them on the counter, I assume that's because in that case there's no confused dithering on my part.

jobotic

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 16, 2020, 10:32:18 PM
Living in Poland for a year put me right off Polish vodka. That Bison Vodka is the one with the long blade of grass in the middle of the bottle that You're supposed to drink with apple juice, right? Just the very thought of it makes me want to throw up all over the place.

That'll be the apple juice. Vile.

I often buy Zywiec but like Perla best. Went to a wedding in Poland as best man and it was a boiling hot day. The cold draught Zywiec I necked as soon as the speech was done was the best pint I've ever had.

Pingers

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 16, 2020, 10:32:18 PM

Yep, that + pressed apple juice = a Tetanka. Our lass used to live in Poland, and funnily enough the sight of the blade of grass makes her feel ill as well.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 16, 2020, 10:22:04 PM

I wouldn't be that complimentary.

Wyborowa and Zubrowka are the two most common Polish vodkas while Krupnik (slivovice type stuff) and Soplica are the two most common brandy/liqueurs by far.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Slivovice reminds me of Slovakia and the Czech Republic. And instantly throwing up.

( Darren Hayman considers rewrite.)

Pingers

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 16, 2020, 10:43:45 PM
I wouldn't be that complimentary.

Wyborowa and Zubrowka are the two most common Polish vodkas while Krupnik (slivovice type stuff) and Soplica are the two most common brandy/liqueurs by far.

Soplica and Krupnik do 'clear' versions as well though. I don't know if your palette stretches to vodka, but I did wonder if you had a recommendation

Dex Sawash

Polish off vodka morelike

Urinal Cake

Wyborowa

Though I think what is more important is what they're made of. Potato > Rye > Wheat > Corn  from memory.

touchingcloth

Rizla

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 17, 2020, 12:35:58 AM
Challenge accepted.
I read that in Eddie Hitler's voice and laughed

idunnosomename

95% abv? bloody hell! don't have a pint of that as a nightcap with a fag.

imitationleather

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 17, 2020, 01:11:32 AM
don't have a pint of that as a nightcap with a fag.

Don't tell me what to do.

chveik

that bison one is class, no need for juice

Glebe

Mate of mine was sharing a house with a Polish guy some years back, popped out one Saturday, guy pulls out this Polish honey vodka and we start milling in to it. When out for a few drinks, didn't go mad or anything but the vodka has been strong AF and ended up fucking obliterated.

wosl

Not much of a vodka drinker at all, but I have got a nice half-bottle of Chopin still kicking around somewhere.  Makes a very acceptable vodka and orange, when it's been chilled in the freezer to sort of syrupy consistency.