Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

McCartney III

Started by Menu, October 17, 2020, 04:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

SpiderChrist

Hopefully it'll be an instrumental album.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

A stoned septuagenarian McCartney going nuts with some synths and a drum machine would be great. But it probably won't be that.

non capisco

I hope it's a whole album of songs in the vein of 'Pledge Dot Meat Free Mondays Dot Com'.

Come on, Macca, that's what we want. You can do it right now, pleeeeze.

shagatha crustie

Nice! Agreed that it is a shame about his voice being so thoroughly gone - it used to be the best thing about him IMO. But if this is a really stripped down, intimate affair that may work quite well.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

He never looked after his voice, did he? He used to boast, really, about the fact the he could just get out there and do it. Which he could, up until about ten years ago. There is no shame in ageing, no one expects him to sing like he did when he was 25, but would it have killed him to gargle some warm tea and honey before every gig?

That's what they do, isn't it? The singers.

Macca, mate, you can't scream your lungs out for 40 years without causing some damage.

Hand Solo

My favourite coked up Macca clip, a fag on, screaming and the pose at the end..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_LiEjIMhoc

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 17, 2020, 12:22:20 PM
He never looked after his voice, did he? He used to boast, really, about the fact the he could just get out there and do it. Which he could, up until about ten years ago. There is no shame in ageing, no one expects him to sing like he did when he was 25, but would it have killed him to gargle some warm tea and honey before every gig?

It was more like 20 Benson & Hedges before every gig in those days

wosl

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 17, 2020, 12:22:20 PM[W]ould it have killed him to gargle some warm tea and honey before every gig?

Milk and Zubes, mate

Head Gardener

I never realised Macca was unwell

Pauline Walnuts

Mate, he's sick.

[/Blast of Fuh You]

non capisco

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 17, 2020, 01:43:48 PM

The Macca solo 70s were a real mixture of turds and treasure and that is firmly in the latter category. Pranged off his nut and giving it some helmet. Lovely stuff.

shagatha crustie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 17, 2020, 12:22:20 PM

That's what they do, isn't it? The singers.

Macca, mate, you can't scream your lungs out for 40 years without causing some damage.

Considering how difficult and rangy half his stuff is to sing, its amazing it lasted so long with constant touring and chonging on spliffs. The real decline has only been fairly recent. I think he had a combo of natural good technique and good luck.

Menu

Quote from: shagatha crustie on October 17, 2020, 08:31:44 PM
Considering how difficult and rangy half his stuff is to sing, its amazing it lasted so long with constant touring and chonging on spliffs. The real decline has only been fairly recent. I think he had a combo of natural good technique and good luck.

I first noticed it at the 2012 Olympics opening show. They fucked the performance of Hey Judy but his voice was gone anyway. I listen to the podcast Take it Away (anyone else?) which goes through Macca's discography in a pretty fascinating way. They played a performance of Maybe I'm Amazed from SNL that is just dreadful. He doesn't seem to notice all this though - just keeps plugging away. Has anyone seen an interview where he mentions it at all? That performance of Lady Madonna that he did for some charity thing this year was AWFUL too. Vocals and concept.

Egypt Station was an ok album but, like 'New', his voice stopped it from being anything more than that. Hand in Hand is the only track that properly works - where he sort of makes use of the frailty for emotional effect.

The podcast also discusses how, like people on here have said, that he had no interest in looking after his voice. He'd say, all Elvis did was have a glass of water. Yeah but Elvis died at 40 (on the toilet in a big nappy). If Macca had started looking after it at even 50 it might still be ok. It's sad because it was such a fucking great voice even in the 80s.

That said maybe McCartney 3 will see some electronic workaround?

Menu

They also mention that he still sings live in the same key as the original track was in? I'm ignorant about music(I LIKE WINGS!), and what that means exactly but does it mean there are easier keys he could sing in and so get around the problem that way?

Menu

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 17, 2020, 01:43:48 PM

That's great, thank you.

Menu

Menu

Quote from: non capisco on October 17, 2020, 08:44:22 AM
I hope it's a whole album of songs in the vein of 'Pledge Dot Meat Free Mondays Dot Com'.

Come on, Macca, that's what we want. You can do it right now, pleeeeze.

https://youtu.be/IA4P6htAGDE

Menu

Menu

Quote from: non capisco on October 17, 2020, 08:24:16 PM
The Macca solo 70s were a real mixture of turds and treasure and that is firmly in the latter category. Pranged off his nut and giving it some helmet. Lovely stuff.

Mainly treasures though aren't they. I mean, there are individual tracks here and there that you might skip but the 70s albums as a whole are an amazing sustained period of quality. I only got to know them in my early 20s having sort of avoided most of the solo stuff due to its reputation, but his talent clearly didn't end in 1969. I think the first album you might say isn't of that quality is McCartney 2 maybe? 

Hand Solo

I think one of his best vocal performances was still a late one, from `79 I think?? Barmy lyrics n' all.

Old Siam Sir

Quote from: Menu on October 17, 2020, 11:07:10 PM
They also mention that he still sings live in the same key as the original track was in? I'm ignorant about music(I LIKE WINGS!), and what that means exactly but does it mean there are easier keys he could sing in and so get around the problem that way?

He could sing it an octave below, which is what he usually does, or a load of other tricks like a third down etc, as long as the chords are in the original key. He does this on purpose croakey voice for everything now to relax his throat, he must have been taught to do that by a music instructor so he doesn't try too hard and pull a muscle and fuck up a tour. Which is fair enough but it sounds awful when he's obviously singing low on purpose for everything when he could obviously try harder.

Here's an example of Carl Wayne from The Move who obviously pulled a muscle at a certain range and still went on stage trying to sing and must have made more damage to his voice.

Menu

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 18, 2020, 12:49:36 AM
I think one of his best vocal performances was still a late one, from `79 I think?? Barmy lyrics n' all.

Old Siam Sir

Yes that is one of my favourites. I remember when Paul was doing the promo tour for Wingspan, Simon Mayo told him that OSS was his favourite Wings song and that it should have been on the album. I think Simon thought Paul would be thrilled at his knowledge of the back catalogue but Paul just sounded annoyed. Simon's right though. It's one of his best. I like how he says Walthamstow in a cockney accent at the end.

Menu

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 18, 2020, 12:49:36 AM

He could sing it an octave below, which is what he usually does, or a load of other tricks like a third down etc, as long as the chords are in the original key. He does this on purpose croakey voice for everything now to relax his throat, he must have been taught to do that by a music instructor so he doesn't try too hard and pull a muscle and fuck up a tour. Which is fair enough but it sounds awful when he's obviously singing low on purpose for everything when he could obviously try harder.

Here's an example of Carl Wayne from The Move who obviously pulled a muscle at a certain range and still went on stage trying to sing and must have made more damage to his voice.

I think I understand. So it's not true to say he's singing them in the same key as before? And his 'bad voice' these days is partly on purpose to protect his career? Must be a bummer to have to do that. What's the point? Why is he still touring anyway? I don't see what's in it for him. Maybe he should do one show a year and make it a really good one?

I've been thinking. His singing on Chaos and Creation in the Backyard was still good and that was 2006. But I think the Radiohead producer pushed him more than others have. That's a beautiful album btw.

Hand Solo

The same key doesn;t mean much, you can sing low in the same key, as in the song is the same key, you can alter where the vocal is by a large margin. But he definitely doesn't sing at the same PITCH in that key for anything.. but like I said, he prob could do it but over and over every night it might fuck up his voice. Doing it in a studio where you get a million takes is much easier to have a break etc, also patch together different takes and also he was doing that when his voice was decent like for Oh Darling! he'd get up each day and try a million vocals at different times of day to test the texture of his voice, so we know he's obsessive about his own voice so whatever he does now he's VERY aware of what's he doing.

That Lady Madonna one he did recently was abysmal.

Menu

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 18, 2020, 01:36:52 AM

That Lady Madonna one he did recently was abysmal.

Yeah this is the one I mentioned earlier. Even his speaking voice sounds fucked here though. Bit worrying.

Menu

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 18, 2020, 01:36:52 AM
The same key doesn;t mean much, you can sing low in the same key, as in the song is the same key, you can alter where the vocal is by a large margin. But he definitely doesn't sing at the same PITCH in that key for anything.. but like I said, he prob could do it but over and over every night it might fuck up his voice. Doing it in a studio where you get a million takes is much easier to have a break etc, also patch together different takes and also he was doing that when his voice was decent like for Oh Darling! he'd get up each day and try a million vocals at different times of day to test the texture of his voice, so we know he's obsessive about his own voice so whatever he does now he's VERY aware of what's he doing.

Thanks for explaining that. I hope it means we might still get some decent recorded stuff down the line. Actually have you heard he's writing the songs for a musical stage version of It's A Wonderful Life? That might be a good fit.

Hand Solo

Also he's still going round telling the bullshit story about Let It Be being about him dreaming his dead mum visited him and told him "Let it be", when it's clear when you listen to the early sessions it's "Brother Malcolm said to me," as the actual dream was about the roadie Mal Evans visiting him. I dunno why he's still telling it that way only that's it's more poetic but clear BS, maybe the myth clearly pastes over the actual memory when so long has been the winding road.

Menu

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 18, 2020, 02:02:46 AM
Also he's still going round telling the bullshit story about Let It Be being about him dreaming his dead mum visited him and told him "Let it be", when it's clear when you listen to the early sessions it's "Brother Malcolm said to me," as the actual dream was about the roadie Mal Evans visiting him. I dunno why he's still telling it that way only that's it's more poetic but clear BS, maybe the myth clearly pastes over the actual memory when so long has been the winding road.

Wow I did not know that about the original version. I wonder what he'd say if that was put to him? It's such an established part of the mythology. Is there any chance he did have the dream but changed it to Malcolm for that session FOR SOME REASON? Hard to accept that he's perpetuated a lie in that way, albeit a trivial one. I guess Lennon was already mythologising the Beatles by that stage to fit his own story. And even stuff like that Ringo story about going to each Beatle and them all saying "I thought it was you three!!", sounded like rubbish even when he first said it. Very interesting though. Hasn't Lewisohn got some rule that he's not going to put anything in his Beatles books if he hasn't got two verified witnesses for it or something? Will make things tricky.

Menu

Rizla

The story about blackbird being inspired by the black power movement sounded like retrospective made up bollocks but there's recording of him telling donovan that at the time so who the fuck knows, monsiour le thumbsaloft is a weird fuckin guy for sure anyroad up/

I was just reading bits of Lewisohns "Tune Up" this evening again, I honestly can't see the remaining volumes he has planned seeing the light of day. The level of detail is fucking ridiculous.