Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,467
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:56:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

McCartney III

Started by Menu, October 17, 2020, 04:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Menu on November 11, 2020, 01:31:12 AM
Interesting. I'll try to listen again with fresh ears. Up until now I'd viewed it as London Town's "The Note You Never Wrote". A 'Track 2' that stalls the album.

Not for me but I can see where you're coming from. The opening title track is superior but a single, so I apparently discounted it on this list (but not Only Love Remains for some reason). And obviously the whole LP would be better if it was just a 55 minute jam of Bruce Moose and the Spruce Goose or whatever it is.

(It seems to go on for 55 minutes as it is, tbh).

Menu

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 11, 2020, 09:49:15 AM
That's the set list of an an heritage act, I miss the set list of things like Wings Over America, mostly new songs. It was only 45 years ago!

He should have gone out and played all the tracks off Egypt Station on his last tour.

Encore

Fuh You
12 seconds of Yesterday
Fuh You Reprise

Give the people what they want!

Menu

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on November 11, 2020, 12:49:56 PM
(It seems to go on for 55 minutes as it is, tbh).

Another example of Paul giving it fucking plenty on a really silly song. See also Monkberry Moon Delight. He sounds really angry.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Menu on October 17, 2020, 10:51:48 PMI listen to the podcast Take it Away (anyone else?) which goes through Macca's discography in a pretty fascinating way.

Cheers for recommending that podcast, Menu, I've been immersed in it for the last few days. Some of their opinions are quite odd*, but that's to be expected in a podcast of this nature. It would be odder if I agreed with everything they said.

It's a really enjoyable listen, though. And hats off to them for pointing out that We All Stand Together is a perfectly pleasant and cleverly arranged little song for children, as opposed to some sort of embarrassing career nadir.

* They're weirdly obsessed with Macca's lyrics, stating time and time again that some of them don't make any sense. I don't really care about that, as long as they work within the context of the song. Macca's stoned lyrical whimsy is something you get used to as a fan, but these guys often seem perplexed by it. Still, they're a good bunch of lads.

Custard

Great podcast, thanks for recommending it. But one of them not liking Let Em In was a bit much

-15 cool points

Menu

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 17, 2020, 02:50:05 PM
Cheers for recommending that podcast, Menu, I've been immersed in it for the last few days. Some of their opinions are quite odd*, but that's to be expected in a podcast of this nature. It would be odder if I agreed with everything they said.

It's a really enjoyable listen, though. And hats off to them for pointing out that We All Stand Together is a perfectly pleasant and cleverly arranged little song for children, as opposed to some sort of embarrassing career nadir.

* They're weirdly obsessed with Macca's lyrics, stating time and time again that some of them don't make any sense. I don't really care about that, as long as they work within the context of the song. Macca's stoned lyrical whimsy is something you get used to as a fan, but these guys often seem perplexed by it. Still, they're a good bunch of lads.

Ah mate! I'm so pleased it's brought you some entertainment. One of the things I like about it is they give an overview of what Paul was doing in between albums. He's very prolific so there are lots of curios that I didn't know about cos they didn't make it onto a proper album.

I think the weird Frog Chorus/Mull of Kintyre hatred is really only confined to the UK. Neither were particularly popular in the US and so critics had no reason to sneer at them. Also young adults like to sneer at things they enjoyed in their childhood and I think that plays a part, especially with the Frog Chorus.

On the lyrics, yeah they do pick Macca up on 'lazy' lyrics. And they do it a nicely earnest way without being po-faced about it. 

One thing I've never got is why the theme tune is a weird synth cover of Martha My Dear. You'd think they'd choose a post-Beatles track seeing as how that's what the podcast is about.

Menu

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 17, 2020, 04:11:42 PM
Great podcast, thanks for recommending it. But one of them not liking Let Em In was a bit much

-15 cool points

So glad you enjoyed it. I'm a bit sad they seem to have now stopped as they haven't quite covered everything I don't think. And I'm afraid you'll have to remove some karma from me as Let 'Em In isn't one of my favourites either. It's just a bit of a dirge. I realise I'm in a minority on that one though.

Something I think is interesting about Let Em In (which I agree is not top-drawer musically) - yes, it's really about the McCartney fireside, with references to his relatives and his dad's habit of calling him and Lennon "Phil and Don" - but it was recorded just a couple of weeks before Jim McCartney died. I don't know how long he'd been ill, or when exactly Let Em In was written, and whether it reflected Paul wrestling with emotions around this. If so, it's worth thinking about as a relatively rare example of Paul letting his genuine emotions through in song (if you dion't count being grumpy at John, journalists or Jane Asher, in which case you'd have loads).

SpiderChrist

Custard

I can't believe the amount of songs he wrote in the Ram period. As they say on the podcast, you could easily have made it a double album, or stuck out a Ram II

Anyone ever had a go at putting together either? Think I'll have a go later on!

Shaky

Pauline Walnuts

Menu

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on November 18, 2020, 09:42:16 AM
Something I think is interesting about Let Em In (which I agree is not top-drawer musically) - yes, it's really about the McCartney fireside, with references to his relatives and his dad's habit of calling him and Lennon "Phil and Don" - but it was recorded just a couple of weeks before Jim McCartney died. I don't know how long he'd been ill, or when exactly Let Em In was written, and whether it reflected Paul wrestling with emotions around this. If so, it's worth thinking about as a relatively rare example of Paul letting his genuine emotions through in song (if you dion't count being grumpy at John, journalists or Jane Asher, in which case you'd have loads).

I always thought it was slightly suspicious he never went to his dad's funeral. Made me think something must have happened between them. But maybe not.

Menu

Menu

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 18, 2020, 11:52:09 AM
I can't believe the amount of songs he wrote in the Ram period. As they say on the podcast, you could easily have made it a double album, or stuck out a Ram II

Anyone ever had a go at putting together either? Think I'll have a go later on!

Were they all included on the reissue? I never bought it as it was a million pounds.

Quote from: Menu on November 18, 2020, 06:30:58 PM
I always thought it was slightly suspicious he never went to his dad's funeral. Made me think something must have happened between them. But maybe not.

I think he just rigorously doesn't do funerals. Linda didn't have one, iirc. That's interesting psychologically in and of itself, but I'm not sure his dad's was unusual in that regard.

Menu

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on November 18, 2020, 07:07:09 PM
I think he just rigorously doesn't do funerals. Linda didn't have one, iirc. That's interesting psychologically in and of itself, but I'm not sure his dad's was unusual in that regard.

I did not know that. How strange. Maybe it's because he knows he wouldn't be able to resist an impromptu performance of Hey Jude.

QDRPHNC

They've replaced him again?

Pauline Walnuts

It's been over 50 years, Fauls had a good run.

Menu

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 19, 2020, 10:37:11 AM
It's been over 50 years, Fauls had a good run.

I've probably said this before but the wacky conspiracists missed an open goal with that one. If they had said it was John who had died in 1966 and was then replaced by an imposter, even I would have been a bit susceptible to that. He looks completely different every year from 1966 till about 1978. The weirdy-beardy John in bed for peace is only 3 years after Revolver. That's not the same person! It's almost as if those crazy theories were purposely designed(by the CIA) to throw us off the scent of the REAL dead Beatle.

Custard

Enjoyed this footage of Macca leading the Rockestra

https://youtu.be/SI4YZLP9XWU

https://youtu.be/vf2j3ijHdn8

"Thanks to everyone for wearing the silver suits. Apart from Pete Townshend, as he's a poof"

Shaky

This is now "available".

Menu

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 03, 2020, 01:39:15 PM
Enjoyed this footage of Macca leading the Rockestra

https://youtu.be/SI4YZLP9XWU

https://youtu.be/vf2j3ijHdn8

"Thanks to everyone for wearing the silver suits. Apart from Pete Townshend, as he's a poof"

Haha!

Menu

Quote from: Shaky on December 03, 2020, 01:55:41 PM
This is now "available".

Need to decide on the best version.

Menu

Quote from: Menu on December 03, 2020, 02:05:42 PM
Need to decide on the best version.

Japanese edition out in January has 4 extra tracks but is three times the price. Can i justify that? I suppose I'll do what I always do and wait till I'm drunk and buy it then.

Custard

Think I'm gonna replace the official cover on my iTunes with this one. Photo by his daughter Mary

https://i.postimg.cc/HxG7t86K/mary-mccartney-HP-01.jpg

Menu

He should do unshaven more often. It's always suited him. I wonder why he doesn't? Do you think he has a CPAP machine?