Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:48:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

McCartney III

Started by Menu, October 17, 2020, 04:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

Quote from: Menu on December 03, 2020, 02:05:42 PM
Need to decide on the best version.

Oh, I meant it has now been leaked... if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 03, 2020, 10:36:43 PM
Think I'm gonna replace the official cover on my iTunes with this one. Photo by his daughter Mary

https://i.postimg.cc/HxG7t86K/mary-mccartney-HP-01.jpg

Prefer this one:

Menu

Quote from: Shaky on December 04, 2020, 06:35:26 AM
Oh, I meant it has now been leaked... if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Oooh that's embarrassing. God I feel old. I did notice that Amazon were saying it wouldn't be delivered till 18th December. I just thought I'd misunderstood or something. Would be interested in your views if you've heard it ILLEGALLY though.

Menu

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on December 04, 2020, 01:07:50 PM
Prefer this one:

I do like the cover though. Also I don't think the first McCartney album cover gets enough attention. It's a beautiful design, and I'm still not quite sure what it's of. After that his album covers are pretty Route One. Eg. 16 years later he sicked up the Press To Play monstrosity.

SteveDave

Quote from: Menu on December 04, 2020, 01:15:20 PM
I do like the cover though. Also I don't think the first McCartney album cover gets enough attention. It's a beautiful design, and I'm still not quite sure what it's of. After that his album covers are pretty Route One. Eg. 16 years later he sicked up the Press To Play monstrosity.

It's a bowl of cherries isn't it? The first one? With blood in the bowl. Another sign that Macca is dead.

thugler

Quote from: Shaky on December 04, 2020, 06:35:26 AM

Has it? I can't find it on soulseek or torrents?

Custard

I, erm, a mate of mine, found it on Soulseek last night

Custard

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on December 04, 2020, 01:07:50 PM
Prefer this one:

Yeah, that's nice. He looks like an eagle. A big proud eagle

Twonty Gostelow

Weirdly unMacca-like when you can't see the doe-eyes though. Almost looks like Roger Waters.

SteveDave

Quote from: thugler on December 04, 2020, 03:59:44 PM
Has it? I can't find it on soulseek or torrents?

Likewise, I can't find it either.

thugler

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 04, 2020, 05:28:11 PM
I, erm, a mate of mine, found it on Soulseek last night

Does your mate want to let us know how it sounds?

Menu

Quote from: SteveDave on December 04, 2020, 02:55:20 PM
It's a bowl of cherries isn't it? The first one? With blood in the bowl. Another sign that Macca is dead.

Ah ok. So is it a photo or a design?

Custard

Oh wow. Lovely picture of Lovely Linda too

I've not actually heard the album yet. But happy to upload it shortly. Anyone who wants it, just lob me a pm

Menu

thugler

Is he going to release a single before the album comes out?

Custard

No single as of yet

Okay, I've uploaded it, if anyone wants the link

Twonty Gostelow

The Sunday Times had done a track guide, for what it's worth.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

that's a funny looking farm.

SteveDave

Am I alone in being a bit underwhelmed by it? It's short though so that's a small mercy.

SteveDave

Quote from: SteveDave on December 07, 2020, 11:29:41 AM
Am I alone in being a bit underwhelmed by it? It's short though so that's a small mercy.

Having listened to it over and over this afternoon it's beginning to make a bit of sense now. The last two songs are still quite bad though.

Custard

People are saying it's a grower!

I've still not heard it. Day off tomorrow though, so will try to rectify that

Ian Benson

I like it. I'd like it if he did all of his albums like this from now on, where there are no attempted hit-singles, which are usually the most uninteresting songs by far on his more recent albums. It is also like both McCartneys one and two, which is crazy considering the lag and also how different those two albums are from one another in a lot of ways. It's interesting that he was on the verge of having a far weirder, potentially more interesting career twice before and then pivoted back to safer, more familiar terrain. I like Wings and loads of his solo stuff, but I do wish that he hadn't constantly felt it necessary to release his more experimental stuff sort of dismissively as side-projects.

Shaky

It is a bit underwhelming at first but then it's difficult initially to listen without the weight of expectation. There's enough good stuff on here to make it his best in years, though. And crucially, he more or less gets away with the vocals.

Menu

Quote from: Shaky on December 08, 2020, 05:03:52 AM
It is a bit underwhelming at first but then it's difficult initially to listen without the weight of expectation. There's enough good stuff on here to make it his best in years, though. And crucially, he more or less gets away with the vocals.

Yes I was going to ask about the vocals. Glad they haven't ruined it.

Menu

Twonty Gostelow

^ I'll read that tomorrow, looks interesting.

A couple of days ago I watched the amusing video for Coming Up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5nzLQ63c9E, recently re-upped to Macca's youtube, and thought, yes, it's silly, perhaps pathetic if you're a Lennonite, but it encapsulates how sane and well-adjusted Paul was at the time compared to John; John, the wacky mischief-maker that used to be, with his daft and funny wordplay and poems, by then reduced to a drug-dependent, infantilised shell of his former self.

I didn't like Paul's Crossroads theme, like.

Quote from: Menu on December 09, 2020, 01:24:44 AM
Anyone else seen this? Not read it all yet but it seems promising.

https://ianleslie.substack.com/p/64-reasons-to-celebrate-paul-mccartney

That looks great. I sadly think it will be decades after his passing that people will realise they were living in the same time as Mozart.

Custard

For me, he's easily the best songwriter of any time. The Take It Away podcast has really brought home just how many amazing songs he's written. It's in the hundreds! It's absolutely insane how talented he is

OK, I read that, and I agreed with pretty much every single word. Except that I don't think Dear Prudence is really one of the Beatles' best drum lines. And I wouldn't be able to agree that Penny Lane is inferior to Strawberry Fields Forever, or any song that anyone has ever written. 

This bit from towards the end is worth quoting for its truth:

QuoteI doubt there is anyone alive responsible for a greater share of the world's happiness.