Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:25:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

McCartney III

Started by Menu, October 17, 2020, 04:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

They've added a Yellow, Violet and Orange vinyl versions since the last time I looked.

That's 3 new versions, not a single, especially funky multicoloured version.

Custard

Heh, I will post the tracklistings, hopefully tomorrow. Just wanna have a little fiddle with one first, so it flows better

I'm also really torn as to whether The Girl Is Mine should be in there, as I heard it yesterday and it really made me cringe. I've never hated it, but it doesn't really hold up next to the best stuff. I'm deffo gonna edit out that chatter at the end. "I'm a lover, not a fighter Paul". Bleuaagh

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 11, 2020, 09:52:16 PM
Heh, I will post the tracklistings, hopefully tomorrow. Just wanna have a little fiddle with one first, so it flows better

I'm also really torn as to whether The Girl Is Mine should be in there, as I heard it yesterday and it really made me cringe. I've never hated it, but it doesn't really hold up next to the best stuff. I'm deffo gonna edit out that chatter at the end. "I'm a lover, not a fighter Paul". Bleuaagh

That correct grammatical detail "I love you more than he" always stands out. A nice tune, but not the best song they did together.

Menu

Quote from: Bernice on December 11, 2020, 04:07:27 PM
That is a lovely song, but I'm pretty sure it's about his cock.

Oh Christ, yeah.

Menu

Just wanna have a little fiddle with one first

I bet you do you dirty old bollox

Menu

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 11, 2020, 07:57:30 PM
Or he thought - or was advised - that it wouldn't have looked good to release it in the week of the 40th anniversary of Lennon's murder.

Fuck that! Rub it in! Dead fucking cunt.

Menu

No I think that one is definitely disposable. Weird to think that one of his most well known songs is one of his worst. I wonder if it was one of the underlying causes of his credibility slump amongst young people in the 80s?

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Menu on December 12, 2020, 01:31:06 AM
No I think that one is definitely disposable. Weird to think that one of his most well known songs is one of his worst. I wonder if it was one of the underlying causes of his credibility slump amongst young people in the 80s?

It's almost a rewrite of Girlfriend really. Ebony and Ivory is a more likely culprit.

Menu

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 12, 2020, 01:35:38 AM
It's almost a rewrite of Girlfriend really. Ebony and Ivory is a more likely culprit.

Hadn't thought of it like that. I guess I see what you mean. Girlfriend is beautiful though whereas TGIM is just sort amiably plodding. Wasn't Girlfriend actually written for MJ to do? Or have I imagined that?

Yes E&I and of course MoK probably broke the back of it. Even though I do think MoK is a really good song - it just probably outstayed it's welcome at the top of the charts during punk etc.

mrpupkin

PS. He didn't write The Girl Is Mine, Jacko did

SteveDave

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on December 11, 2020, 05:55:47 PM
I wonder if the release date was changed from today to the 18th so he could have the Xmas number one album?

Or he learnt that Taylor Swift was releasing another load of worthy songs written with someone from everyone's favourite divorced dad band on the 11th and he REALLY wants another number 1 LP.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Menu on December 12, 2020, 01:42:51 AM
Hadn't thought of it like that. I guess I see what you mean. Girlfriend is beautiful though whereas TGIM is just sort amiably plodding. Wasn't Girlfriend actually written for MJ to do? Or have I imagined that?

No, I've read it as well, but it was Jackson saying that he'd bumped into Macca who told him he'd written a song with him in mind and sang a bit of it to him. This was a while before London Town and I can't remember if Macca has confirmed the story or Jackson was reinventing history.

Quote from: mrpupkin on December 12, 2020, 11:24:12 AM
PS. He didn't write The Girl Is Mine, Jacko did

I don't think anyone's saying different. That said, I suspect McCartney probably did help compose it, and that Jackson wrote bits of The Man and Say, Say, Say uncredited.

Custard

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 09, 2020, 11:37:32 AM
It really does. Just the sheer amount of great tunes he's lobbed out as b-sides or never even released at all. It's incredible

His back catalogue is full of variety, too. He tries his hand at so many different genres of music, and usually does brilliantly at each one

Most artists would build a career on just one of his lesser known songs, yet he tosses them out like they're Smarties

I'll post the tracklistings at some point, if anyone is interested, but I've recently compiled a Macca solo/Wings/Fireman compilation that has now gone to 7 full discs. All seven discs are like potted histories of his entire career, jumping about through the years, just to make it a fun listen. A bit like that Pure McCartney box set he put together a few years ago, but, erm, longer!

Okay, in reference to the above, here's the tracklistings for the first 3 discs. I don't think even Macca would put out a 7 disc "best of " job, but I wanted a few discs/playlists that ping about the years whilst being fun to listen to. As you can see it jumps all over the shop!

Will lob up the other four once I've had a little fondle of them, in terms of order

Levi

Quote from: Menu on November 17, 2020, 08:58:14 PM
Ah mate! I'm so pleased it's brought you some entertainment. One of the things I like about it is they give an overview of what Paul was doing in between albums. He's very prolific so there are lots of curios that I didn't know about cos they didn't make it onto a proper album.

I think the weird Frog Chorus/Mull of Kintyre hatred is really only confined to the UK. Neither were particularly popular in the US and so critics had no reason to sneer at them. Also young adults like to sneer at things they enjoyed in their childhood and I think that plays a part, especially with the Frog Chorus.

On the lyrics, yeah they do pick Macca up on 'lazy' lyrics. And they do it a nicely earnest way without being po-faced about it. 

One thing I've never got is why the theme tune is a weird synth cover of Martha My Dear. You'd think they'd choose a post-Beatles track seeing as how that's what the podcast is about.

Sad news. There will not be a McCartney III review.
I'd only just discovered the podcast through this thread as well...

https://offthetracks.co.nz/r-i-p-ryan-brady-take-it-away-podcast/

Twonty Gostelow

God, that's horrible news.

Custard

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Thanks to this forum, I've spent the last few months immersed in that podcast. It was wonderful, I loved listening to those guys. Awful news. RIP Ryan.

Menu

Oh no. I'm struggling to process this. I just wish I'd tweeted him to tell him how much I loved his work. As was said above I've been immersed in it too over the last few months. God this is awful. 

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Fucking hell, it's just so sad.

Menu

A good reminder to never take anything or anyone for granted ever again.

Custard

I'm another who's had the podcast as a constant the last few months, thanks to this thread, so this is very sad news. Their sheer enthusiasm for the music makes for joyful listening

RIP

Menu

He'll have had no idea in what affection he was held. So sad.

Cottonon

Damn...Echoing the other posts, the podcast is my current favourite thing and been carefully rationing the episodes. Great work shit news.

Seedsy

Because of this thread, I have absolutely deep dived maccas post beatles output. I started with pure mccartney compilation, which I think is an excellent place to begin, especially the super deluxe edition.
I have then went back and appreciated the albums. Especially mccartney, ram, band on the run and mccartney 2. Mccartney 3 this Friday is turning into a real event for me now. The podcast was a fantastic companion piece and the hosts were excellent. Really sad news about Ryan, especially his age. Tragic.

Menu

Quote from: Seedsy on December 17, 2020, 07:39:42 AM
Because of this thread, I have absolutely deep dived maccas post beatles output. I started with pure mccartney compilation, which I think is an excellent place to begin, especially the super deluxe edition.
I have then went back and appreciated the albums. Especially mccartney, ram, band on the run and mccartney 2. Mccartney 3 this Friday is turning into a real event for me now. The podcast was a fantastic companion piece and the hosts were excellent. Really sad news about Ryan, especially his age. Tragic.

Great stuff, Seedsy. Bit jealous actually. Would love to start going through it all for the first time again.

Twonty Gostelow

A little bit here on Taylor Swift moving her album release around to avoid clashing with Macca's: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/paul-mccartney-taylor-swift-evermore-howard-stern-1104937/

Still doesn't explain why he moved his release date though.

shagatha crustie

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 18, 2020, 01:28:06 AM
Still doesn't explain why he moved his release date though.

Too close to the anniversary of John's murder?

shagatha crustie

Listening this morning at work.

I'd say it's about 50/50 between good material and mediocre - better than Egypt Station, which also suffered from being way too fucking long. It is pretty incredible that a nearly 80 year old man played every single note on an album like this and produced it himself. Musically it's full of interesting production touches, surprising and imaginative ideas, and great playing.

'Slidin' and 'Deep Deep Feeling' are the clear standouts to me. 'Kiss of Venus' has the closest thing to a classic McCartney melody, as well as the last track, which judging by the quality of his voice seems to be a recording held over from a while back - 90s possibly? It's very poignant to hear those once-lovely pipes in better nick right at the end of this album.

Fundamentally I can't really let my emotions not get in the way about how I feel about this. God bless this bloke, who deserves to rest on his laurels maybe more than any major artist and still refuses to, out of sheer love for the thing.

SteveDave

It took a few goes round for things to click for me. Luckily the album's only 40-something minutes so there's plenty of time for re-listens.

thugler

Just saw 'find my way' video on YouTube. Nice poppy number, but the vocals and guitar in the chorus seem mixed fucking horribly. Is it like that on the record?