Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:04:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

VPN Recommendation Needed

Started by Malcy, October 17, 2020, 12:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

My friend recently moved to the US and wants to be able to use iPlayer, ITV Hub etc. Said he has Roku sticks but I had a quick look and saw that they don't work as well with NordVPN or something, i don't have a clue basically so any advice on what would be best for him is welcome.

Said he can buy a Firestick or whatever if it suits better. Just hoping someone has a bit of experience with this that knows what's best!

touchingcloth

It looks like Roku sticks can't have a VPN installed on them, so if they wanted to use a VPN with it they'd need to have a router which could have the VPN installed, or look into how to setup a virtual router.

Not many routers are able to have a VPN installed, and virtual routers are faffy and relatively tech-heavy to setup[nb]Nord offer guides to both things, though: https://nordvpn.com/blog/setup-vpn-apple-tv/[/nb], so I reckon a Firestick would be the way to go, as it sounds from a quick google that they can have VPNs installed. Nord have an app for it, and I've been using them for a couple of years now quite happily - decent speeds and prices, and they seem to be quite focussed on user privacy, in terms of things like not keeping logs so they don't - allegedly - have any data which they could share with governments to grass you up for torrenting.

Malcy

Thanks for that, appreciate it. I'll let him know.

Cloud

+1 on Nord, they often have an offer on for things like "3 years for £70" as well.

The only thing that has me slightly concerned about it is... well, it seems like everyone and his dog that has a VPN uses Nord.  That makes it a huge target for the likes of the NSA.