Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:45:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your data storage situation atm

Started by peanutbutter, October 17, 2020, 09:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

One thing I've been facing with my first PC build is that I don't have to partition the fuck outta one hard drive (or two in the ThinkPad's case) anymore. Was wondering how people go about dividing their various storage devices, especially when games can be fucking monstrously big right now.

Atm my new setup is looking like it'll be:
- 250GB M2 SSD for Windows 7 and programmes
- 120GB 2.5" SSD for MacOS
- random other hard drive I find lying around for some Linux variant
- 2TB 3.5" HDD for games and media (possibly an SSHD) formatted as exFAT or something else that'll play nice with everything
- ...and possibly another huge slow shit HDD for backing up the OS drives onto

Audio tends to largely reside exclusively on my MP3 player's SD card these days, with things I wanna keep being backed up on an external, which up until now has been where most video goes too but with a 2TB media drive in the computer I mightn't bother. I only bother backing up stuff that seems like it'd potentially be a pain to find again in the future.

Do you back things up online much? Do you have to awkwardly share things across multiple environments with dropbox or something like that? Has your general attitude towards keeping shit changed as we've gotten progressively more online?

Utter Shit

I've got two 2tb external hard drives, one a back up of the other. Plus my 2tb desktop hard drive. One of the externals has just given up the ghost, completely vindicating my insistence on keeping a backup for so many years. I should probably get a 4tb now as the 2tb ones were close to full...fucking expensive though.

The busted external hard drive powers up and Windows makes the conneftiont noise,  but the HD itself makes a clicking noise and the computer doesn't show it as being connected...any ideas? Or is it just fucked? It's only a backup so I don't particularly need to retrieve anything off it, but it would be handy to still be able to use it if possible.

Sebastian Cobb

I've got two 3TB in a mirrored array connected to some nas software (open media vault), and I have a 3TB western digital passport drive I backup to occsionally. I've got the kit to automate it would do it without any wire connections (in case there was a surge or something).

My laptop has a 250gb ssd but I don't use it for anything important, the installation of the machine itself is disposable, as are vm's running on my microsever (which store their data in the nas).

evilcommiedictator

With older SSDs so cheap it seems to be the way that you'd have a windows Drive setup on a 125 or 250 SSD, you can put a few games on there but use your older storage for videos, photos and games.
I've got a 250 SSD windows C, my older 3TB with everything that I use on it, and a 125 SSD I used to have for games that need a bit faster loading times. Got a 4TB External hooked up for videos and backups of stuff I need, duplicating that on a NAS setup on the home network, as well as the important stuff synched to Dropbox in case the house burns down.

canadagoose

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 17, 2020, 09:49:09 PM
I've got two 2tb external hard drives, one a back up of the other. Plus my 2tb desktop hard drive. One of the externals has just given up the ghost, completely vindicating my insistence on keeping a backup for so many years. I should probably get a 4tb now as the 2tb ones were close to full...fucking expensive though.

The busted external hard drive powers up and Windows makes the conneftiont noise,  but the HD itself makes a clicking noise and the computer doesn't show it as being connected...any ideas? Or is it just fucked? It's only a backup so I don't particularly need to retrieve anything off it, but it would be handy to still be able to use it if possible.
That happened to me when my drive had insufficient power (because it was plugged into a hub without a separate PSU). Have you tried plugging it directly into the computer?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on October 17, 2020, 11:59:14 PM
That happened to me when my drive had insufficient power (because it was plugged into a hub without a separate PSU). Have you tried plugging it directly into the computer?

I've had several external drives (the 5.25" ones) appear dead but really were fine and it was the PSU going low-voltage. Seemed to be a common problem at one point.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Got an old Haswell-based PC set up as a NAS running 18TB (12TB Usable) running a version of Xpenology (basically Synology software running on normal hardware). Any important photos and documents also go on Google drive.

To be honest, now with streaming (Spotify, Netflix etc.) the need keep so much content and use it as a media streaming server is pretty obsolete, but I still like having consistent access to music/films/shows that are not widely available.

Got a 14TB WD MyBook to use for media storage going forward. Was using my PC as a Plex server with two 4TB drives, but I'm hoping to get a Shield TV Pro over Black Friday and use that instead and get rid of all spinning drives in my PC.

touchingcloth

I don't store my data in an ATM, you're all mad.

Hand Solo

I have a lightweight touchscreen laptop, one of those that you can fold the keyboard underneath to prop it up for touch-based bollocks or watching films. But because of this it only has a small 128 GB SD and Windows 10 and its assorted software rapes a lot of that out of the box.

So I have a 250 GB Samsung USB key that I fill with Music, Movies, Pictures, Books and other shite and just stick it in the USB slot of my Router, presto all my files are available to any device on my WiFi, or take the key with me to mates and stream any shite I need.

QDRPHNC

The majority of my data is stored on Google Drive. I pay $14 a month for 2 TB, on which I have back-ups of every piece of design work I've ever created, every photograph I've taken, every font, piece of clip art, stock photography, source files for current projects, everything.

I love it. My work life lives online. I can share folders, files and documents with clients. It's so handy.

I was never a fan of the cloud, until the one hard drive, one which I had stored all of the above, fell / was dropped about 10 inches onto a soft rug while in motion. $2000 it cost me to recover it, in addition to the days I spent going through all the recovered files and sorting them back into their proper folders.

I also have all of google drive backed up onto a 2 TB HD just in case, another 2 TB HD plugged into my XBox with movies and TV shows, a MicroSD into my DAP with all my music (which used to be on Google Music, but not now). And what else? Oh yes, a lovely little 64 GB stick with a USB on one side as USB C on the other I use for my weird little projects I work on.

olliebean

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 22, 2020, 04:27:58 PM
The majority of my data is stored on Google Drive. I pay $14 a month for 2 TB

Surely you're overpaying for that? AFAICS it should be $9.99/month for 2TB.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: olliebean on October 22, 2020, 07:48:55 PM
Surely you're overpaying for that? AFAICS it should be $9.99/month for 2TB.

Canadian

Sebastian Cobb

I thought about going the cloud route if only for backups but most of it is shit I downloaded and can't remember I have, I could trim a lot of it out and wouldn't miss it, and often if I want to watch it I check if it's streamable as that might be upscaled and in better quality. If the drives died there would be < 10% I'd be gutted about losing as I'd never find it again, but a lot of it is crap that I'd proabably redownload in hd if I decided to rewatch it (as I've done with some stuff).

There's a soulseek 'incoming' folder from about 2003 that's full of stuff I haven't necessarily listened to, but might one day.