Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:46:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hit Singles That Are Just Someone's Name

Started by DrGreggles, October 18, 2020, 09:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobody Soup

The Cocteau Twins recorded an entire album of songs which were all just first names.

None of them were hits but the completeness of the collection compels me to mention it.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Nobody Soup on October 19, 2020, 09:03:28 PM
The Cocteau Twins recorded an entire album of songs which were all just first names.

None of them were hits but the completeness of the collection compels me to mention it.
As did Slint, with their album "Tweez" (this may have been mentioned already, I skipped pages 2-4 of this thread).

greencalx

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 18, 2020, 07:26:06 PM
Bjork for example. But turns out she did a song called Hope once, so she's out on her arse before she started.

Isobel is the smoking gun surely "My name Isobel, Married to myself". Can't be more explicit than that in that she actually meant someone with the name Isobel and didn't just title a song with a word that is sometimes also a name.

Quote from: Nobody Soup on October 19, 2020, 09:03:28 PM

Goldfrapp did the same with "Tales of Us"

Dead Soon

The Casuals - Jesamine

An almightily forgotten No.2 hit of the 1960's, autumn 1968 specifically, and would likely have inched its way to No.1 if it wasn't for the McCartney powered Mary Hopkin sing-song outstaying its welcome.