Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:39:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hit Singles That Are Just Someone's Name

Started by DrGreggles, October 18, 2020, 09:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Ominous Dave on October 18, 2020, 05:10:00 PM
Don't worry, I once managed to convince someone that 'Get Lucky' by Daft Punk was really about the Tunisian Revolution. Which tbh actually improves the record if you imagine that it's true.

Sound of the summer

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 18, 2020, 05:19:25 PM
Both Madonna and Kylie have released half a million songs, but I don't think either of them have ever done this. Everyone else has. Dear Jessie is close but it's not right.

Dr Rock

It's not Angela is it? Angel is not a name.

Dr Rock

There are probably some people named Cherish though.

Ferris

Martha - Tom Waits
Rosie - Tom Waits

Actually they weren't singles were they? Pathetic effort. Should be banned.

Ferris

Alice - Tom Waits

Phew, redeemed myself there.

chveik

JamesTC

Ferris

Dr Rock

Yeah that's got a diacritic of some kind over the A. Borderline would be a good name though.

Ferris

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 18, 2020, 06:02:29 PM
Yeah that's got a diacritic of some kind over the A. Borderline would be a good name though.

Bollocks. Ángel Hernandez has one as well. I cede the point.

Dr Rock

I didn't think it would be so easy. Disappointed.

rue the polywhirl

Angel Olsen walks into the thread to find out her first name isn't considered a name and then has an existential crisis.

Dr Rock

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on October 18, 2020, 06:16:08 PM
Angel Olsen walks into the thread to find out her first name isn't considered a name and then has an existential crisis.

Sorry Angel, I'll concede it's a name, although a rare one I've never heard of before in my life. Don't have an existential crisis, you're adopted anyway.

Ominous Dave

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 18, 2020, 05:48:04 PM
There are probably some people named Cherish though.

By that logic you could just name your newborn kid 'Atomic' and claim that that 'Atomic' by Blondie counts.

(Admittedly it'd be a fairly extreme measure to take to justify a post on an obscure comedy forum, but that's the sort of behaviour that divorce lawyers have to deal with all the time.)

Quote from: Ominous Dave on October 18, 2020, 06:22:23 PM
By that logic you could just name your newborn kid 'Atomic' and claim that that 'Atomic' by Blondie counts.
Cherish the name existed before the song was released.

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

TBF they are both 'borderline' cases for this thread, as in the context of the songs they are not names.

Dr Rock

Here he comes, Borderline Jones
Always nicking mobile phones
His favourite Star Wars film is Attack Of The Clones
He's a wrong 'un, Borderline Jones

Free to any top pop songwriters reading.

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 18, 2020, 06:25:22 PM
TBF they are both 'borderline' cases for this thread, as in the context of the songs they are not names.

Quote from: Dr GregglesTopic: Hit Singles That Are Just Someone's Name

Edit: you could argue that "just" means the name can not have any other meaning in the English language.

Dr Rock

They're not 'just names' if they have other meanings though are they.

edit - oh you caught that too.

Ominous Dave

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 18, 2020, 06:23:15 PM
Cherish the name existed before the song was released.

But did it exist before The Association's 1966 song 'Cherish', which the Madonna song is partially inspired by? That's the question that everyone cares about.[nb]NB: nobody but me actually cares about this.[/nb]

If a person is named after a song does that song then become a "name song"? My mate Sussudio has always wanted to know the answer.

machotrouts

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 18, 2020, 05:19:25 PM
Both Madonna and Kylie have released half a million songs, but I don't think either of them have ever done this. Everyone else has. Dear Jessie is close but it's not right.

If we're talking just plain "songs" and not hit singles, then: 'Isaac' by Madonna (from Confessions on a Dance Floor) and 'Aphrodite' by Kylie Minogue (from, er, Aphrodite).

Both 8/10s if you ask me, resident Popjustice refugee machotrouts

Dr Rock

Fair play, aside from the 'hit' part that everyone is ignoring anyway.

Quote from: Ominous Dave on October 18, 2020, 06:32:11 PM
But did it exist before The Association's 1966 song 'Cherish', which the Madonna song is partially inspired by? That's the question that everyone cares about.[nb]NB: nobody but me actually cares about this.[/nb]

machotrouts

Quote from: machotrouts on October 18, 2020, 06:37:55 PMAphrodite

On that note: Venus? By Bananarama, obviously/Shocking Blue, obviously.