Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:29:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hit Singles That Are Just Someone's Name

Started by DrGreggles, October 18, 2020, 09:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ominous Dave

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 18, 2020, 06:45:11 PM

But did it exist as a name before the 1743 folk ballad 'Cherish' by the traditional Scottish folk singer Hamish McCallum, who I definitely haven't just made up? I'd like to see you disprove that.

machotrouts

UK #1 singles with titles easily recognisable as names, that haven't already been mentioned in the thread:

Stereophonics - Dakota (2005)
The Four Pennies - Juliet (1964)
The Bachelors - Diane (1964)
Paul Anka - Diana (1957)
The Highwaymen - Michael (1961)
The Beatles Overlanders - Michelle (1966)
Brotherhood of Man - Angelo (1977)
Brotherhood of Man - Figaro (1978)
Slim Whitman - Rose Marie (1955) (a double-barrelled forename, I think, rather than a forename and a surname?)
Eminem - Godzilla (2020) (?? I guess?)

bgmnts

Godzilla - Blue Oyster Cult
Nosferatu - Blue Oyster Cult
Angel - Judas Priest

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 18, 2020, 06:39:02 PM
Fair play, aside from the 'hit' part that everyone is ignoring anyway.

And that I've already made the round and posted a link to it earlier.

Dr Rock

Ok, if both Kylie and Madonna don't pass the test is there any artist with a long career (say more then ten albums) with no names in their song titles song titles that are just names?

Dr Rock

Bjork for example. But turns out she did a song called Hope once, so she's out on her arse before she started.

Ominous Dave

'Flash' by Queen

(Though there is a residual ambiguity about whether 'Flash' is actually his name, or whether his name is Gordon and 'Flash' is just an adjectival description. But I'll leave that discussion to the philosophers.)

[nb]Cue quick googling to see if it's technically called 'Theme from Flash' or something like that, but apparently not.[/nb]

rue the polywhirl

(Not thread-related but more ideas for music quiz)

Cheery fact, pop fans.

What links the following songs? :-

You Will Never Walk Alone by Gerry and The Pacemakers, Young Girl by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Lady Madonna by The Beatles -  Super Trouper by ABBA.

A: They all happen to be great songs and number one at some point in time.

Dr Rock

That is a cheery fact.

So, how about Cannibal Corpse, in answer to my own challenge? Unless someone knows someone called 'Blunt Force Castration' etc.

bgmnts

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 18, 2020, 07:18:08 PM
Ok, if both Kylie and Madonna don't pass the test is there any artist with a long career (say more then ten albums) with no names in their song titles song titles that are just names?

Rush

Dr Rock

The same Rush that have a song called Tom Sawyer?

Quote from: Ominous Dave on October 18, 2020, 06:52:07 PM
But did it exist as a name before the 1743 folk ballad 'Cherish' by the traditional Scottish folk singer Hamish McCallum, who I definitely haven't just made up? I'd like to see you disprove that.

Damn Dr Greggles and his ambiguous thread titles, to take this to it's logical conclusion.

bgmnts

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 18, 2020, 07:48:40 PM
The same Rush that have a song called Tom Sawyer?

Oh I thought we were just doing forenames.

Carry on.

machotrouts

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 18, 2020, 07:12:51 PM
And that I've already made the round and posted a link to it earlier.

I love to click on an unlabelled Google Drive link to an mp3 of what appears to be a song called 'MAJOR' by a band called 'ELSWORTH BEAST'

Quote from: Ominous Dave on October 18, 2020, 06:32:11 PM
But did it exist before The Association's 1966 song 'Cherish', which the Madonna song is partially inspired by? That's the question that everyone cares about.[nb]NB: nobody but me actually cares about this.[/nb]

I got this wrong, 1951 is the rank and not the year, this graph shows the names popularity starting in 1966, it can't be a coincidence.

Ominous Dave

But Cher's career started around the same time, so maybe they just wanted their baby to be similar but not identical to her?

Dr Rock

A name is not illegitimate if it came from a pop song though is it?

Madonna's got a song called Rain too, that's definitely a name.

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 18, 2020, 08:18:37 PM
A name is not illegitimate if it came from a pop song though is it?

Madonna's got a song called Rain too, that's definitely a name.

Enters the chart in 1956.

Dr Rock

So the left axis is from high to low? That's counter-intuitive to me.

edit - no I get it now. So the Madonna song in 1992 is certainly responsible for its resurgent popularity.

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 18, 2020, 08:38:35 PM
So the Madonna song in 1992 is certainly responsible for its resurgent popularity.

Possibly it contributed to the popularity, thinking back to those days I remember Rain Phoenix being mentioned often in the press, the whole family were quite a thing in the media for a few years after River Phoenix was in Stand By Me (1986). She had a few highish profile TV/film roles circa 1987, so this could have caused a bump too.

DrGreggles

Quote from: machotrouts on October 18, 2020, 08:04:05 PM
I love to click on an unlabelled Google Drive link to an mp3 of what appears to be a song called 'MAJOR' by a band called 'ELSWORTH BEAST'

ELSWORTH BEAST-MAJOR
It's hyphenated.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 18, 2020, 07:57:56 PM
Damn Dr Greggles and his ambiguous thread titles, to take this to it's logical conclusion.

Not sure it was ambiguous - most people seem to have understood.

Maybe I should have put an example in the first post for clarification...

Victoria - The Kinks, or The Fall
Mona - Craig McLachlan (aka Henry from Neighbours)

I think the last-mentioned classic was a hit the same year that Timmy Mallet gave us 'Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini'.  Sound of the summer.

DrGreggles

Ominous Dave

Blondie - Maria
Bernstein/Sondheim - Maria
Rage Against the Machine - Maria
Michael Jackson - Maria (You Were the Only One)

(Basically there are loads of tragic love songs called 'Maria'. Which is probably a weird Christian thing, though it amuses me to think there was just one woman going around shagging and then dumping pop songwriters for decades.)

Ferris

Louie, Louie by the Kingsmen.

YES. Delighted to tap in another.

Mr Banlon

samadriel

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 18, 2020, 10:28:47 AM
Pretty sure that Rigby is a surname.

Is a surname not part of "someone's name"?

DrGreggles

"There must be LOADS of hit songs that are just someone's first name."