Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:25:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird baroque fantasy - any recommendations?

Started by Jerzy Bondov, October 18, 2020, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

I've been a big fan of Gormenghast for years, and I also really like M. John Harrison's Viriconium books. I'm just getting towards the end of China Mieville's Perdido Street Station and I want more of this sort of thing. I'm not sure my thread title is the best description but I suppose it's fantasy with really ornate and strange settings, and if they're a series then all the books are quite different. The setting isn't very grounded and although it's clear a lot of thought has gone into it, it's there to serve the story rather than as an anthropological exercise for the writer.

There are two more Mieville books set in Bas-Lag for me to read but there must be other stuff in this vague vein. Does anyone know what I'm on about?

Sin Agog

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/847735.The_Other_Side

Always interesting when painters turn to writing (Leonora Carrington's stories are something else).  This guy word-paints a big ol' hypnagogic dystopia that doesn't entirely work as literature (though it's not bad), but as some sort of deteriorating Bosch nightmare transposed into words it works great.  Don't think he ever wrote anything else.

Jerzy Bondov

Wow, that looks great! Never heard of him before but I like his creepy drawings. I have added it to the list, thanks!

ASFTSN

Have you tried Little, Big by John Crowley? If you like Gormenghast that might appeal although it's less sprawling and more about family (and fairies).

The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany perhaps.

If short stories are acceptable then Clark Ashton Smith is a must for stuff that makes you feel like you're some sort of hashish golem but also has some twisted humour, way ahead of his time. Try The Colossus of Ylourgne or The Last Testament of Athammaus.