Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,474
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:45:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Movies With High Scores, But Not Popular?

Started by MortSahlFan, October 19, 2020, 07:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

A movie with at least 1,000 votes on IMDB.

"Sunday With Cybele" is one I just saw on IMDB (7.9/10), but only a 44% on RT, which comprises of about 25 25-year olds.. Too much influence for such a small sample size. I think IMDB is the most accurate.

"Miracle in Milan" has a 7.7/10 w/ over 6,000 votes, but its never mentioned even in movie circles.

"Il Generale Della Rovere" - 7.8/10

For perspective, "The Godfather" has 1.5 million votes, and a rating of 9.2/10

steveh

Not quite what you're after, but recently came across Moussaka & Chips on an Amazon Video top-rated movie category. It has an IMDb score of 9.3 from 917 people but the trailer isn't exactly promising and the Amazon reviews include:

QuoteI don't even know where to begin ... but everybody should watch it just to witness how truly appalling it really is. Possibly the worst film ever made.

One of the last appearances of Ron Moody and Mike Reid.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: steveh on October 20, 2020, 01:54:43 PM
Not quite what you're after, but recently came across Moussaka & Chips on an Amazon Video top-rated movie category. It has an IMDb score of 9.3 from 917 people but the trailer isn't exactly promising and the Amazon reviews include:

One of the last appearances of Ron Moody and Mike Reid.
I don't know if that is a big enough sample size to be accurate. When I googled this, the Amazon UK score was a 1/5

I'm usually always looking for older movies (1930-70s), but try to give newer movies a shot. Speaking of the UK, there was a pretty good movie, "I, Daniel Blake" but of course Ken Loach started in the 60s and is said to be retiring. I don't know how long Mike Leigh will go, but "Mr. Turner" was a huge disappointment compared to his previous movies.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Glebe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 20, 2020, 04:58:26 PMReady Player One

That's a bit of guilty pleasure for me. My main gripe with it is all the CGI character cameos are just like a big mush and it's hard to spot them.

This thread is crying out for a Bee Gees tag.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's utter guff, to be sure, but it's about a computer game. Films with high scores, geddit?

Mr_Simnock

peanutbutter

Quote from: MortSahlFan on October 19, 2020, 07:01:01 PM
but only a 44% on RT, which comprises of about 25 25-year olds
You didn't exactly dig into that data at all did you?

9 reviews, 5 of them were rated "Rotten".
Here's the photos accompanying two of the rotten reviews:

Either of those guys look 25, or like they'd still be alive? The TIME review sounds like it was probably from the time too, although I can't confirm that.

You're gonna get way more of a slant towards things young people will like on IMDb purely cos of how it's ratings factor number of votes across demographics and a whole host of other data into them.

anyways, I saw it, it was fine but totally understandable how it's pretty much forgotten beyond being a best foreign picture winner at the Oscars. Highlight is Patricia Gozzi and her kinda weirdly adult child performance, which is utilised way better in Rapture

evilcommiedictator

Hurt Locker, getting a 7.6/10 with over 400k reviews for an utterly dull movie about nothing which is done so much better in movies like Jarhead.

With a quick search, lumps of dung like The Green Berets get 5.8/10 from just under 12k reviews, and that's 5 more than it deserves.
Scary Movie 5 gets 3.5/10 with 64k reviews :)

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 20, 2020, 11:01:21 PM
It's utter guff, to be sure, but it's about a computer game. Films with high scores, geddit?
Better than Pixels, not as good as The Last Starfighter.

I regard IDMb scores with a lot of suspicion; it's hard to know who votes or even if they've seen the film. Their algorithm is heavily skewed towards films the most people have voted on (particularly in the English-speaking world). In their top 250 the first non-English language film is Seven Samurai at #19. The highest-rated film I've not heard of is Japanese Samurai drama Harakiri (aka Seppuku) at #33. 3 Idiots at #79 is even more obscure, a 2009 British-Indian comedy with 300,000 votes. Did they pay people to vote? Is there some app that goes "you're in a cinema, press some stars"?

Still, better than the votes on Amazon Prime or other streaming services: it's always funny seeing a film that gets 4.5/5 from Amazon viewers and half that on IMDb.

Blumf

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 20, 2020, 11:01:21 PM

Well hows about Computer Chess (2013)
88% on RT, but only 6.3 on IMDB

MortSahlFan

That's why I like IMDB scores -- large sample size from ALL people (civilians, professional critics, actors, who knows) instead of thirty people with a stockbroker's mentality.

peanutbutter

Rotten Tomatoes is a totally different metric though, 100% from loads of reviews doesn't mean something is amazing, it just means it's quite likely that someone within the taste range of the reviewers will find it to not be a waste of their time. With such a basic goal in mind the lower sample size is a lot less of an issue (but obviously becomes one once you go under 20 reviews or so)

IMDB would be better compared to metacritic or letterboxd which are both trying to set an objective value on each piece

Mister Six

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 21, 2020, 11:02:05 PM3 Idiots at #79 is even more obscure, a 2009 British-Indian comedy with 300,000 votes.

3 Idiots was massive in India and did well other territories. I was living in Dubai at the time and it got a lot of buzz there for being a Bollywood film that wasn't hastily knocked-out embarrassing wank. I'm surprised it's only had 300,000 reviews, to be honest, but probably a decent number of the film's fans use some Indian equivalent of iMDB. IiMDB? Anyway, I never got around to watching the film, but the point is that just because something isn't well known in the UK (or even the West) doesn't mean it's actually obscure.