Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:03:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fred Fucking Basset II

Started by Alberon, October 19, 2020, 11:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Inspired by mentions of Fred Bassett sullying Madhair's magnificent comic strip I thought I'd see what awful banalities the dog had been up to lately. Literally looking no further than today's we get this!

You can just feel the abyss staring back at you.

Go back a few days and this one appears

Ah, the start of a story you might thing. But no, you'd be wrong. It's just that. Nothing more.

And then there's this. What is it? It's not a cartoon strip, that's for sure.

Alex Graham, the creator of Fred Basset died almost twenty-nine years ago. With strips like the above it seems he's still writing it. A zombie comic strip shambling on with no semblance of humour or plot. Doomed to walk the pages of right-wing papers around the world. Forever.

Sebastian Cobb

Those football boys look like minature boomers, amazing really.

Hand Solo

He really is Captain fucking Tom in comic form.

Just a boring prat who ponders round the garden for a bit then gets treated like a hero. Pat on the head. Bowlful of nosh. Fresh bone to chew on.

Choke, cunt.

non capisco

Fucking size of the cunt in that one-panel 'the joys of nature!' one. Nothing natural about you, Fred mate. Fucking size of yer!

petril

when Arthur Dent was on that planet in Mostly Harmless and they had those novels, it's one of those cunts that writes Fred Basset, in't it?

Mr_Simnock

Glebe

Fred Basset: Never mind a punchline, there's no actual joke.

Dex Sawash

Mutts(america) is similarly shit. Haven't worked out if one is drunk or has a speech impediment or if that is the joke.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Ha! My totally brilliant plan worked!

I * love* these slagging- off- Fred Basset threads!

JesusAndYourBush

The Mollusk

the

Great subtle disdain from Wikipedia

QuoteThe Michael Martin drawings started out with the general style and humour of the original Graham Freds, but after around 2000 a more casual style of drawing is apparent. The current cartoons still have Alex Graham's original whimsical theme. Fred and his family still live in a pre-1990s era, with only a few hints to modern life, such as satnav and them finally buying a more modern car, as shown in the 2008 annual.

the

Quote from: Alberon on October 19, 2020, 11:00:09 PMA zombie comic strip shambling on with no semblance of humour or plot. Doomed to walk the pages of right-wing papers around the world. Forever.

As far as I can tell, its function is to make Daily Mail readers (especially the kind that own dogs and live in a 'homestead') feel like it's still the 1950s. A little window into their notion of a benign simpering flavourless Shangri-La.

madhair60

Consignia

bomb_dog

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Icehaven

I have never enjoyed Fred Bassett so much.

Brundle-Fly

petril

Mobius

Crying at those pisstake comics. Brilliant

Phil_A

I just found the goaste Fred Bassett edits, love this little sequence.

Beagle 2

I remember asking my mum when I was really young "mum, what's the actual point of Fred Bassett?" and she just sighed and said "I think you're supposed to think 'good old Fred'".

She hated Fred Bassett, but she did presumably think the rest of the paper was acceptable. Used the old "I like the crossword" excuse. That never makes any fucking sense either.

Alberon

The French. Can't trust them like the good old English, can you readers? They're always up to something.

Glebe

Big noses and moustaches, the French. Suspicious.

Alberon

The usual nostalgia rather than humour from Fred, but the interesting bit is in the comments.

QuoteI am sorry they put in chasing the poor Rabbit, that ruined it for me.

Which is fair enough, but the self-delusion in the replies...

QuoteOn my parents farm the rabbits would wait out in front of their house for their dog to come out in the morning. It was a game for them.

QuoteWe had a rabbit that lived in the bushes at the far end of our land. We would sit out there with our little dog and when the rabbit peeked out of the bushes Brandy would take off after it. The played and played chase around and through the bushes until they bought got tired. Next day, the same thing. They had a lot of fun that summer. Brandy never would have hurt the rabbit, it was just a game. Boy, did they both have fun!

QuoteThe rabbit enjoyed the game.

QuoteI would say a good time was had by all. The rabbit got away, but I don't think they really wanted to catch him. That would've ruined their fun.