Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:42:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When there's no more room in hell ...

Started by The Mollusk, October 21, 2020, 10:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Operty1

Quote from: phantom_power on October 21, 2020, 06:57:19 PM
So which is the best version to watch? I have seen it a few times before but no idea which versions I watched. Isn't the Argento one less meandering and more action? How many versions are there? 3? 4?

I would also like to know this, there seems to be so many different versions. Does this contain all versions:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dawn-Dead-Limited-Ken-Foree/dp/B0892HW4F3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3OPSUNOJO2GF&dchild=1&keywords=dawn+of+the+dead&qid=1603309482&sprefix=Dawn+of+%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-1

magval

It does, I think. I've it pre-ordered. It doesn't contain the Extended Mall Hours Cut mentioned on the previous page, as it's fan-made.

It is the Argento cut that zips along at a brave tear, aye.

Egyptian Feast

Ahh, so it's the 'Cannes cut' I'm familiar with. That 155 minute cut does look awful tempting. I take it that can be 'found' easily enough?

Operty1

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on October 21, 2020, 10:08:43 PM
Ahh, so it's the 'Cannes cut' I'm familiar with. That 155 minute cut does look awful tempting. I take it that can be 'found' easily enough?

Can someone confirm if this is it:

https://youtu.be/TiqeFmtLBsw

Menu

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 21, 2020, 10:39:36 AM
Isn't the original Dawn of the Dead just the most marvellous horror film ever made? I watched it last night for the millionth time and I can never tire of it, it's such a fucking trip. It doesn't just set the precedent for all the other zombie films that would follow it, it manages to have a rollicking good time doing it, and executes every single move with such effortlessly deft precision that even despite the (knowing) goofy bits, I'd say it's impossible for anyone who understands cinema to not be swept up in its thrall.

My favourite type of media is that which can exude a masterful knowledge of the craft but to never take itself too seriously, and Dawn of the Dead is surely the epitome of that. It manages to perfectly juggle a number of serious social commentaries in a grizzly, pioneering horror that's also a cool buddy action flick and a bleak character drama whilst throwing in some genuinely great comedy moments for the sheer fuck of it.

It's insanely quotable and almost every scene is iconic but one of the real standouts for me is when Francine and Steven emulate a nice evening in a restaurant which ends in disappointment, cutting to a shot of the couple jaded and completely burnt out in bed together as Simon Park's superb library music track Sun High plays out. Chills, mate. Chills every time.

It's not scary though. Or even creepy. I like it though but not as a horror.

The Mollusk

phantom_power

I think it is incredibly creepy, especially the start in the block of flats and at the end when it all starts going pear-shaped

magval

Quote from: Operty1 on October 21, 2020, 10:30:46 PM
Can someone confirm if this is it:

https://youtu.be/TiqeFmtLBsw

I believe so, I remember it being around 2h 35mins.

Anyone read the novelisation? Found it in my father in law's attic recently and read it in one sitting. Nice wee expansion on the film.

Also, if anyone's not been over in the books forum recently we've been chatting about the book Romero was working on before he died which was finished by Daniel Kraus. It's called The Living Dead and it's 600-some pages of everything everyone above has said they love about Dawn. Massively recommended. And you can imagine your own shit make up!*

*You can't, it's the most gleefully grisly thing I've ever read.

Bazooka

The ghoul at the beginning of Night in the graveyard(coming to get you Barbara etc) is the scariest moment of all Romero's work.  I could always look past the ropey makeup up because the pace,action and flow keep you locked in as a viewer. I don't actually have a favourite of the three core films, although I find Day is a bit of a slog at the start, but the scene in the city with the alligator make up for it. Dawn is worth it for the soundtrack, especially when the victory music kicks in as Peter decides not to pull the trigger and starts lamping the encroaching horde.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Bazooka on October 22, 2020, 10:12:12 AM
the scene in the city with the alligator make up for it.

#natureishealing 😌

bgmnts

Quote from: Bazooka on October 22, 2020, 10:12:12 AM
although I find Day is a bit of a slog at the start, but the scene in the city with the alligator make up for it.

The opening music scares the fuck out of me to be honest.

The Mollusk

Also the bit with the zombie hands all bursting through the wall is fucking ICONIC.

thugler

Dawn is an absolute masterpiece. Don't get the criticisms of effects or 'scariness'. The effects are of their time and budget, and they're fun and inventive. If realistic effects are so important you can basically write off all of the great italian horror stuff. The zombies are not individually a huge problem to deal with, or all that scary, the point is their slow inevitable plod will eventually get you and over power you. The scares are more to do with the characters struggling to carry on with their lives and having to watch their friend slowly deteriorate into a zombie. The moments of humour and comic book action add to the film and not detract.

The new one i thought was alright in the cinema, but it doesn't hold up at all. Some nice effects but has nothing to say and boring modern speed zombies.

Bazooka

I don't really remember too much of the remake minus Vingh Rhymes and the armoured bus, it was very of the time shooting style.

Bazooka

Quote from: thugler on October 22, 2020, 11:52:50 AM
Dawn is an absolute masterpiece. Don't get the criticisms of effects or 'scariness'. The effects are of their time and budget, and they're fun and inventive. If realistic effects are so important you can basically write off all of the great italian horror stuff. The zombies are not individually a huge problem to deal with, or all that scary, the point is their slow inevitable plod will eventually get you and over power you. The scares are more to do with the characters struggling to carry on with their lives and having to watch their friend slowly deteriorate into a zombie. The moments of humour and comic book action add to the film and not detract.

The new one i thought was alright in the cinema, but it doesn't hold up at all. Some nice effects but has nothing to say and boring modern speed zombies.

I think the battle of attrition is so gripping, we see at the start everyone has guns and it's easy just picking the dead off, but then human error and complacency soon kicks in as the dead keep on creeping on.

The Mollusk

Yeah, the human arrogance I mentioned in a previous post is there right from the start. The voice of uncertainty and fear is constantly present on the television screen (until it eventually stops, which is one of the most chilling parts of the film) but elsewhere everyone thinks they can tackle it in their own individual way. Since it's a completely new problem that, in the context of the film, humanity has never even considered happening, there's even more disorder in the fact that no one really knows what the right thing to do would be, and there's very little time to try and figure it out. It all happens so fast, which is why the start of the film is so brilliant. As a viewer you don't have time to settle into the film for at least 30 minutes, it's total unrest among the media, armed forces and civilians.

ASFTSN

Quote from: thugler on October 22, 2020, 11:52:50 AMThe effects are of their time and budget, and they're fun and inventive. If realistic effects are so important you can basically write off all of the great italian horror stuff.

100%

Gulftastic

At least the new one had Kenneth, Everett PD.

druss

This thread has inspired me to give it another go but wanted to watch Night of the Living Dead first as I never watched it when I was younger (as a teenager I incorrectly thought that black and white = shite).

FUCKING HELL that was intense. Amazing film, doesn't take any time at all to get tense and doesn't let up throughout, only a few chances to catch your breath during the amazing scenes where they are watching the TV broadcast. What a film.

I think when I watch Dawn of the Dead I'm going to like it this time if my reaction to NOTLD is anything to go by. That was truly incredible, can't believe a 52 year old film shit me up like that.

The Mollusk

The first time I saw Night of the Living Dead about 12 years back, it legit gave me nightmares that made me too scared to get out of bed for a full 30 mins after I woke up. It is superb.

druss

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 22, 2020, 09:29:58 PM
The first time I saw Night of the Living Dead about 12 years back, it legit gave me nightmares that made me too scared to get out of bed for a full 30 mins after I woke up. It is superb.
Yeah I'm still in a bit of shock to be honest, way more terrifying and disturbing than I thought it was going to be. Was expecting a fun, interesting and well made film that would set the scene for DOTD but I was blown away by that.

Famous Mortimer

The first time I saw "Night", it was the shitty colourised VHS from 30-odd years ago, so I spent the first section wondering why the brother and sister didn't run away from the guy with bright green skin lumbering towards them.

Menu

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Menu

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 23, 2020, 12:25:48 PM
We all agreed that it's a bit pants.

It's a satire more than a horror.  The best bits in these films are always when you catch a glimpse of the newscasts that are trying to come to terms with what's going on. It's those things that really disturb me. I think because they feel more real than the lumbering zombies. Not sure why exactly.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Menu on October 23, 2020, 12:08:11 PM
Ah sorry. What was the general consensus?

Read the thread maybe? Don't wanna have to walk you to the door here.

Menu

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 23, 2020, 12:43:38 PM
Read the thread maybe? Don't wanna have to walk you to the door here.

Don't worry, I was only joking.