Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:24:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Total War

Started by bgmnts, October 21, 2020, 11:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

For the budding armchair generals here, what are you playing and how are you getting on?

I have a shite laptop so have to sim every battle and still managed to easily conquer Britain and Ireland on TW Medieval II. Going to have another crack at Rome and see if I can smash every cunt.

Pink Gregory

Did my time in Rome and Medieval II; took me ages to get a video card good enough to handle Empire/Napoleon/Shogun 2 but I don't care that much any more.

Played quite a long campaign in Medieval II as the Spanish, that was nice, but I think I just ended up in a sort of stalemate conquering Portugal and that was kind of it.  Think I tried Venice and Holy Roman Empire but they went nowhere.  Played a bit of the Kingdoms expansions as the Welsh and a bit of the New World one, but the maps were a bit too big and samey.

Dog Botherer

spent ages in my teens wrecking fuckers on the original Medieval Total War. genocided England dozens of times as the Irish in the expansion too.

moved on over the years to Medieval II, the LOTR mod for that, and Rome. didn't enjoy any of those nearly as much, too much going on. but then i went back to the original game and i found it laughably simplistic and easy.

then i got into CK2 and that was that. haven't played a TW title since. new one any good?

Poobum

Don't play it anymore but would highly recommend the Europa Barbarorum 2 mod for Medieval II. Goes for historical accuracy and adds some really interesting factions like the Lugiones, Saba, Nabataens, Cimmerian Bosphoron Kingdom and Taksashila. Filled me with nerdish glee. Is anyone else like me and tried to maintain a historically accurate faction that had believable borders? Couldn't enjoy conquering the Russian steppe as a bunch of Brythonic tribesman, was too silly.

evilcommiedictator

Played Medieval 1 and Rome 1 a ton, can't seem to get into others too much, I don't really care for the tech tree and the tedious part of having to play every single battle in the first 50 turns to make sure you actually survive

bgmnts

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on October 21, 2020, 11:30:04 PM
I don't really care for the tech tree and the tedious part of having to play every single battle in the first 50 turns to make sure you actually survive

To be fair I smashed it as Wales in Medieval II simming every battle on medium difficulty. Maybe Wales are overpowered?

Cuellar

Really like Medieval II - haven't been able to get into the later ones. I find the interface too fiddly, and it seems to be much less clear. Maybe it's just a case of getting used to it, but I keep going back to Medieval II. Don't think I've ever really done a battle manually, I always automatically resolve it and try and overhwlem the enemy with sheer weight of numbers (and try and get guns as quickly as possible).

Not to disrail the thread, but I see Europa Universalis IV is going cheap on Steam - any good?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Come on guys, when there's a really crucial tense battle that swings one way then the other that is the core of the enjoyment of this series. All the best moments are really tense even battles where the outcome will be defining for the next several hours of gameplay.

Granted, as time goes on I tend to do the defensive battles and autoresolve the ones that are clear cut victories. Even some of those the AI will fuck up if you let it!

Once you do a few you get the sense of knowing to what extent manual input will make the difference. Especially if terrain is a big factor, especially if your units are unbalanced and need to fight a specific way.

I like resource management as much as anyone - and I'll fight any of you to prove it - but the fact the game twins that with real time strategy and a present threat rather than simply deus ex machina events per turn is what gives Total War added dimension. The original Shogun, Medieval and Rome are still well worth playing today and will be in 20 years time.

Mobius

Haven't played one of these in donkeys

Is the Three Kingdoms one any good? I am well into that period (well I love the Dynasty Warriors series) got a dull weekend ahead so might buy this tonight as I'm a tad bored of Crusader Kings 3 at least until some DLC comes.

Cuellar

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 22, 2020, 12:44:14 PM
Come on guys, when there's a really crucial tense battle that swings one way then the other that is the core of the enjoyment of this series. All the best moments are really tense even battles where the outcome will be defining for the next several hours of gameplay.

Granted, as time goes on I tend to do the defensive battles and autoresolve the ones that are clear cut victories. Even some of those the AI will fuck up if you let it!

Once you do a few you get the sense of knowing to what extent manual input will make the difference. Especially if terrain is a big factor, especially if your units are unbalanced and need to fight a specific way.

I like resource management as much as anyone - and I'll fight any of you to prove it - but the fact the game twins that with real time strategy and a present threat rather than simply deus ex machina events per turn is what gives Total War added dimension. The original Shogun, Medieval and Rome are still well worth playing today and will be in 20 years time.

nah

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Enjoy half a game then.

Cuellar