Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:25:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Covid-19 Research Study

Started by Menu, October 21, 2020, 06:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

I assume some of you may be doing this already but, if not, this app is a really useful tool for those BOFFINS who are researching how best to fight the virus. Over 4 million people daily log their symptoms(or lack of them) and it helps the researchers track the spread, learn about which symptoms are relevant and lots of other things. They want to get as many people as possible logging in. Usually takes me less than a minute each day.

Please download. It does help. Help slow the spread of #COVID19 and identify at risk cases sooner by self-reporting your symptoms daily, even if you feel well 🙏. Download the app https://covid.joinzoe.com/

Menu

This research study predicted the Leicester lockdown many days before it actually happened. And has been instrumental in the NHS including 'loss of smell/taste' as one of the key symptoms. I think I'm right in saying they've been equally instrumental in the recent downplaying of high temperature as a useful indicator. I noticed the last hospital I was in wasn't even talking patients temperatures any more. That's down to the real-time info this app generates.  Please download. It literally only takes a minute a day once you've registered. And they tell you how many active cases there are in your area which you can then use to scare your friends.

non capisco

Quote from: Menu on October 21, 2020, 06:40:28 PM
And they tell you how many active cases there are in your area which you can then use to scare your friends.

That's the bit that gets me. Every morning is a bit "fucking hell, HOW many?!" and that's just a tier 2 London suburb. And I presume those are just symptomatic cases as well. Either way, a more representative figure than you're getting from THEM LOT, I presume. Still, well worth doing.

'Official' Serco app appears to be fucking useless. I keep getting notifications that I've been near someone with the 'vid and then the message disappears and doesn't seem to store anywhere on the app.

Norton Canes

https://covid.joinzoe.com/about

QuoteThe has been developed by health science company and it is endorsed by the , , the and . have downloaded the app and are using it to regularly report on their health

Perhaps not entirely confidence-inspiring...

Zetetic

The privacy policy is also a mess, including: "Institutions we share data with: ... NHS".

Welsh Government is certainly very taken with it, as with anything that Sw*ns** Uni asks them to chuck millions of quid at.

Despite the huge amount of funding that they've received, didn't stop ZOE using contact information that they've gathered using the app to try to sell them Samantha Cameron's designer face masks:
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/samantha-cameron-coronavirus-symptom-tracker-app-cefinn-face-masks-b1134106.html

Zetetic

Quote from: non capisco on October 21, 2020, 06:45:23 PM
'Official' Serco app appears to be fucking useless. I keep getting notifications that I've been near someone with the 'vid and then the message disappears and doesn't seem to store anywhere on the app.
The "NHS" app for use in Wales and England has nothing to do with Serco, and these weird notifications seem to be an anti-feature of the Apple+Google framework that the app builds on:
https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01252/en-us

(Which is not to say that they aren't confusing and irritating.)

Menu

Quote from: Zetetic on October 21, 2020, 09:02:16 PM
The "NHS" app for use in Wales and England has nothing to do with Serco, and these weird notifications seem to be an anti-feature of the Apple+Google framework that the app builds on:
https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01252/en-us

(Which is not to say that they aren't confusing and irritating.)

I've downloaded the NHS app but it's been as glitchy an app I've ever had. BTW, important to stress that the NHS Track-and-Trace app is not the one I'm talking about in this thread. I know people in real life who have been confused. The app I'm talking about is a research study and really useful and glitch-free.

Menu

Quote from: non capisco on October 21, 2020, 06:45:23 PM
That's the bit that gets me. Every morning is a bit "fucking hell, HOW many?!" and that's just a tier 2 London suburb. And I presume those are just symptomatic cases as well. Either way, a more representative figure than you're getting from THEM LOT, I presume. Still, well worth doing.

Yeah the local stats are a bit of a jolt when awakening in the morning. But all the more reason for as many people here as possible downloading it and DOING YOUR BIT.

Zetetic

Quote from: Menu on October 22, 2020, 01:03:18 AMThe app I'm talking about is a research study and really useful and glitch-free.
I know, and my post before that one is about the ZOE app, their privacy policy, their funding and their decision to market Samantha Cameron face coverings.

None of which is meant to detract from the fact that the data (including the symptoms specificity stuff you highlight) is useful.

Menu

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 21, 2020, 08:56:24 PM
https://covid.joinzoe.com/about

Perhaps not entirely confidence-inspiring...

Gah! TBH that's the first mistake I've ever seen whilst using their app. They even send out weekly emails detailing all the latest research etc. Usually well-written.

Menu

Quote from: Zetetic on October 22, 2020, 01:05:47 AM
I know, and my post before that one is about the ZOE app, their privacy policy, their funding and their decision to market Samantha Cameron face coverings.

None of which is detract from the fact that the data (including the symptoms specificity stuff you highlight) is useful.

Point taken. Did not know about the Sam Cam stuff. Hope it doesn't put anyone off from downloading.

Zetetic

The other consideration with the ZOE stuff, which they don't tackle clearly, is that there are massive biases with respect to stuff like socio-economic status.

People using the app are relatively unlikely to be people on ZHC in abattoirs, for example.

Zetetic

The FAQ and Privacy Policy stuff looks more and more of a mess, the more you try to make sense of it.

They mis-represent pseudonymised data as "anonymised".

They claim that your personal data isn't covered by GDPR when they share it with US bodies.

They don't mention the Welsh equivalent of care.data in the FAQ, but do in the privacy policy.

(The ridiculous thing is that this all seems trivially avoidable. They don't need to fuckup or hide any of this stuff.)

Menu

Quote from: Zetetic on October 22, 2020, 01:08:57 AM
The other consideration with the ZOE stuff, which they don't tackle clearly, is that there are massive biases with respect to stuff like socio-economic status.

People using the app are relatively unlikely to be people on ZHC in abattoirs, for example.

That's why I'm trying increase take-up. I assume most people on here are pretty low-income.

Blue Jam

I'm using the NHS Scotchland tracing app. Had fuck-all notifications from it. Not sure if that means I haven't been in contact with a single vidded-up soul or the app is just bored and I've been in touch with loads and DEAD SOON

Menu

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 22, 2020, 03:30:32 PM
I'm using the NHS Scotchland tracing app. Had fuck-all notifications from it. Not sure if that means I haven't been in contact with a single vidded-up soul or the app is just bored and I've been in touch with loads and DEAD SOON

Forgive me for not knowing more about it but is it seen as a success?

Menu

Did anyone download this research app? I can't seem to persuade anyone either on here or in real life. Apart from my mum but she just writes that she feels fine every day, even when she doesn't feel fine. "It saves time, dear"

MUM YOU LAZY PRICK YOU'VE RUINED THE RESEARCH