Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,470
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:24:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Possessor (2020) - Brandon Cronenberg

Started by Bence Fekete, October 24, 2020, 03:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bence Fekete

From the visionary sperm of David Cronenberg...

New sci-fi/horror directed by David Cronenberg's son, Brandon.

It's very Cronenbergy, it's very lots of other things, but it's also very good. I want to talk more but it's one of those 'less you know' type affairs plot-wise so I'll just honk the awareness horn and wait. Highly recommended. Avoid trailer and spoilers if you can. 

QDRPHNC

Thanks for the RECK I'll watch it this weekend.

Shaky

I liked this although found it a bit style over substance in the end. Some pleasantly... unpleasant moments, though. The
Spoiler alert
murder of Sean Bean's character got a huge yelp out of me.
[close]

Sebastian Cobb

Shoved this to download today as it happens, after rewatching Antiviral the other week.

El Unicornio, mang

I've watched The Fly and Videodrome this past week as part of my Halloween month viewing, this should fit the bill. Lead actress grew up in the same town (Whitley Bay) as me, I noticed. Presumably doesn't still have the accent...

zomgmouse

Is it available in a copy that isn't a screener?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: zomgmouse on October 26, 2020, 12:02:06 AM
Is it available in a copy that isn't a screener?

I got a YTS 'webrip' instead of the screeners.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 26, 2020, 10:29:27 AM
I got a YTS 'webrip' instead of the screeners.

Looking on there, the screenshots suggest it's still got the "property of" watermarks - unless they're not there in the actual file?

Bad Ambassador

It's due for UK release in a month or so.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: zomgmouse on October 26, 2020, 11:24:05 AM
Looking on there, the screenshots suggest it's still got the "property of" watermarks - unless they're not there in the actual file?

I've not looked at it yet tbh. Just that it wasn't tagged as a  scr.

zomgmouse

Hmm some of the comments on the entry suggest it is indeed a screener. Ah well. Guess I'll just wait for the proper copy. Think the only time I've watched a screener (that wasn't for review purposes) was Uncut Gems as I just could not wait for that. But I try to avoid it.

zomgmouse

Alrighty so the "proper" (and apparently "uncut") version of this is available online. Watched it yesterday night. Brilliant stuff. I think I prefer Antiviral, but this was fantastic. Excellent visuals and ideas, played out with a fine sense of rhythm and unfurling. Wholly impressive.

phantom_power

There is a lot of stabbing. And repeated stabbing. And repeats of stabbing. And penises

thugler

Quote from: phantom_power on November 12, 2020, 02:59:22 PM
There is a lot of stabbing. And repeated stabbing. And repeats of stabbing. And penises

Bit too much i would say. Overdid it with the gruesome at times. Visually very strong though

BlodwynPig

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 25, 2020, 06:39:34 PM
I've watched The Fly and Videodrome this past week as part of my Halloween month viewing, this should fit the bill. Lead actress grew up in the same town (Whitley Bay) as me, I noticed. Presumably doesn't still have the accent...

Andrea Risborough?

Did you go to the arcades in Spanish City?

McFlymo

Just a bump to say I genuinely loved this, it was deeply, deeply fucked up in unrelenting and heroic ways. Bleakness mixed with all out gore. Andrea Riseborough was amazingly creepy and unnerving to watch and Christopher Abbott was brilliant juggling different states of mental collapse. It reminded me of Under The Skin a little bit, in terms of the mix of supernatural and reality. Loved the details of the sound design: so much going on in the near silent moments, the score was excellent too.
Spoiler alert

The Sean Bean killing get me yelping and recoiling in horror too. I can't remember the last time that's happened.
[close]
Also: Are boners / semi-erect penises an acceptable thing now?

Mister Six

Really enjoyed the film, and particularly its commentary on the atomised, insular and dehumanising life in a modern technocracy (although that did make it feel a bit like a premium Black Mirror episode).

I really think it needed another 10 minutes on the front showing Riseborough's relationship with her husband prior to becoming an assassin. We're basically getting the last two thirds of her character arc, and that really drains the emotional impact of the ending out of it. You can extrapolate what her relationship and personality used to be like, but it's an intellectual engagement, not an emotional one. Brooker would have sold us on the relationship with some humour first, then got his grim on.

Definitely want to check out Antiviral too, now.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 16, 2020, 08:00:16 AM
Andrea Risborough?

Did you go to the arcades in Spanish City?

Many times! My mate's Dad owned one of them so I got a day of free Double Dragon once. Also frequented the ones closer to Tynemouth which "mysteriously" burned down.

Might watch this tonight, sounds like my cup of tea.

McFlymo

Quote from: Mister Six on February 09, 2021, 04:29:09 PM
I really think it needed another 10 minutes on the front showing Riseborough's relationship with her husband prior to becoming an assassin. We're basically getting the last two thirds of her character arc, and that really drains the emotional impact of the ending out of it. You can extrapolate what her relationship and personality used to be like, but it's an intellectual engagement, not an emotional one. Brooker would have sold us on the relationship with some humour first, then got his grim on.

Definitely want to check out Antiviral too, now.

Good point.
Spoiler alert
The scene with her preparing how she would say "hello" to her husband and kid seemed odd. Seemed to setup that it was going to be much more of a mental struggle for her than it ended up being. If there'd been more done with that struggle the ending would've paid off much more.
[close]

Started watching Antiviral last night, fell asleep, so gonna tackle it now, but first impressions:
a lot cheaper looking,

a lot less impressively acted,

not sure I get the concept / seems a bit thin

whole thing feels a bit amateur

zomgmouse

Quote from: McFlymo on February 15, 2021, 03:50:45 PM
Good point.
Spoiler alert
The scene with her preparing how she would say "hello" to her husband and kid seemed odd. Seemed to setup that it was going to be much more of a mental struggle for her than it ended up being. If there'd been more done with that struggle the ending would've paid off much more.
[close]

I actually quite liked that it threw you straight in. It really sets everything up that you need.

Mister Six

Everything you need for the story. I don't think it lays enough emotional groundwork. The ending had me thinking "fucking hell", but in a detached way - more like I didn't expect the film to go there, rather than the absolute horror at what had been done to these people, and the toll it had taken on Riseborough's soul. The butterfly thing works in a mechanical way, not an emotional one. For me, at least.