Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:39:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Danny Baker patreon

Started by Menu, October 24, 2020, 08:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Has anyone got on this yet? He's so smug on Twitter I keep putting it off but I do like his writing and he has good taste in popular culture(ie, if he says something's good I'm almost never disappointed when I try it). Wish he wasn't so self-satisfied though. I used to really love him in the 90s.

DrGreggles

Nah, not for me, even though I'm a fan.
Already wealthy celebrities shouldn't be on Patreon.

shiftwork2

I went in on the lower tier (£5 maybe) for a month as I missed the chatter on Saturday morning.  Cancelled it though when I realised I didn't miss it that much.  The higher tier has some weird offerings - a video tour of Dan's record collection?  Er ok.

Broadly agree that millionaires probably shouldn't be on the platform but plenty here support Athletico Mince without any qualms.

DrGreggles

Quote from: shiftwork2 on October 25, 2020, 08:32:26 AM
Broadly agree that millionaires probably shouldn't be on the platform but plenty here support Athletico Mince without any qualms.

Oh, there's no doubt that I'm a hypocrite!
To be fair, that probably primarily goes to the non-rich bloke (that we all complain about) who does all the production on Mince.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: shiftwork2 on October 25, 2020, 08:32:26 AM

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 25, 2020, 09:37:22 AM
Oh, there's no doubt that I'm a hypocrite!
To be fair, that probably primarily goes to the non-rich bloke (that we all complain about) who does all the production on Mince.

Yeah, there's no way Andy is a millionaire.  But, like Greggles says, there's a few on here who are no doubt angry that Andy is making a single penny off them.

thr0b

I'm not sure Danny is *that* well-off. He's comfortable enough, but has always said that he spends all the money he earns. He was that skint when he was unable to work due to the cancer that he only got by thanks to a cash gift from Chris Evans.

Uncle TechTip

I expect the recent tours will have seen him very well rewarded. Has he stopped the regular show through whoever it was, but would turn up in Podbean? The notifications stopped.

And the books...

shiftwork2

It's basically the twice-weekly somethin' else shows behind a paywall.  Those shows were alright but they were missing the calls and guests.

DrGreggles

Quote from: thr0b on October 25, 2020, 02:37:29 PM
I'm not sure Danny is *that* well-off. He's comfortable enough, but has always said that he spends all the money he earns. He was that skint when he was unable to work due to the cancer that he only got by thanks to a cash gift from Chris Evans.

Aside from the book deals and tours in recent years, he owns a nice house in London.
I'd call that pretty well off.

Menu

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 25, 2020, 03:41:13 PM
Aside from the book deals and tours in recent years, he owns a nice house in London.

He's possibly wealthy without much disposable income. He pisses me off how he refuses to engage with fans on Twitter, whilst any shitty blue ticker gets a reply. He's very self-satisfied in a way I don't remember him being a few years ago. Also his adoration of his thug dad is one for a psychoanalyst.

Small Man Big Horse

The way he boasts about the money he's earnt and then spent without giving a toss in his autobiography annoyed me a huge amount, I really liked the first volume but found the second so smug and arrogant that I went off him completely, so he won't be getting a penny from me.

Menu

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 25, 2020, 06:37:20 PM
The way he boasts about the money he's earnt and then spent without giving a toss in his autobiography annoyed me a huge amount, I really liked the first volume but found the second so smug and arrogant that I went off him completely, so he won't be getting a penny from me.

One of the last times I heard his Saturday midday show was a couple of years back. A guy rang in and said something like, "I'm a lot like you, Danny?" To which Baker replied, "What? Wealthy and satisfied?"

<switched off radio>

The Cloud of Unknowing

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 25, 2020, 03:41:13 PM

Perhaps the house is 30 bedsits and he's in Flat 1.

Menu

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 25, 2020, 06:37:20 PM

Same here on that. And he also has this big thing about how useless it is to be a student. He says, "if going to university was useful, Parliament would be full of geniuses". So, of course, because Danny was working class and happened to not go to university and made a success of his life, therefore no other working class kid should bother. Presumably they should all just join the NME at 17. It's literally what Norman Tebbit would have said in the 80s(apart from the NME bit). And, to top it off, he says all this whilst getting his rich mates to give his own rich children lucrative jobs. Ugh. Gone right off him actually.

Menu

Quote from: The Cloud of Unknowing on October 25, 2020, 07:06:34 PM
Perhaps the house is 30 bedsits and he's in Flat 1.

Please, everyone, give this man £80 a year.

pigamus

Quote from: Menu on October 25, 2020, 06:13:02 PM
He's possibly wealthy without much disposable income. He pisses me off how he refuses to engage with fans on Twitter, whilst any shitty blue ticker gets a reply. He's very self-satisfied in a way I don't remember him being a few years ago. Also his adoration of his thug dad is one for a psychoanalyst.

Happened to me quite a long time ago sadly - I just got sick of how rude he was to the callers on his BBC London show. No fucking need for it. Jonathan Ross gets slagged off a lot for the same level of arrogance but he was always brilliant with the people who called in to his radio show, always.

Menu

Quote from: pigamus on October 25, 2020, 07:26:28 PM
Happened to me quite a long time ago sadly - I just got sick of how rude he was to the callers on his BBC London show. No fucking need for it. Jonathan Ross gets slagged off a lot for the same level of arrogance but he was always brilliant with the people who called in to his radio show, always.

That's exactly it, there's no need for it. No-one was tuning in to his BBC London show for some shock-jock. Very odd. I honestly think he may have some latent anger management issues. All his stories about his beloved dad are about him either assaulting someone or threatening to assault someone. It's disturbing, in part, because he presents it as comedy. And his brown-nosing showbiz mates like Emma Kennedy often join in to say how much they'd love to have known him. Fucking idiots.

Rolf Lundgren

To be fair, he is producing a lot of writing on his Patreon and hardly setting it at a gouging price. Plus he is a brilliant writer. Whether wealthy people should be on Patreon is another matter but I certainly don't think he's a millionaire and now as a kind of pariah in the radio world (all by his own making I should add), I think it's fair enough that he turns to a crowdfunding model for regular income.

I've never found him to be particularly rude to callers on Five Live or his Treehouse shows but never heard him on BBC London. His constant ebullience could be annoying but I appreciate that enthusiasm he brings to topics that must people wouldn't go near.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Menu on October 25, 2020, 07:14:55 PM
Please, everyone, give this man £80 a year.

It's not giving him £80 a year though. It's buying a product from him.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on October 25, 2020, 07:47:38 PM
I've never found him to be particularly rude to callers on Five Live or his Treehouse shows but never heard him on BBC London. His constant ebullience could be annoying but I appreciate that enthusiasm he brings to topics that must people wouldn't go near.

He's great with callers and, compared to other phone-in shows, he gives them every opportunity to be "any good".
If anything it's a fault of his, as you can't strike gold every time, but he bloody tries!

Bit of a bellend on Twitter though, but that's Twitter innit.

Old Thrashbarg

I can't remember his Radio London shows being anything other than joyful. Certainly don't remember any unprovoked rudeness to callers.

As much as I was enjoy the Treehouse podcasts, they were mostly background listening for me. So I haven't missed them a huge amount and have no real desire to pay for them.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I never found him to be rude to callers either. Not in the slightest. He would either politely indulge and support stories which weren't much cop - not in a patronising way, he just didn't want to embarrass them - or sit back and revel in the entertaining contributions of top drawer callers.

I agree with many of the points in this thread, he's an exasperating man who often spouts a load of ill-considered bollocks, but his willingness to engage with listeners is an integral part of his appeal as a broadcaster. That's why his podcast is merely okay. His best radio work thrived on spontaneous interaction with listeners. A thought would occur to Danny, then the floodgates would open.

It was thrilling to listen to sometimes, I loved the way those entirely improvised shows would spiral off into unexpected, hilarious tangents over the course of two or three hours. You just can't do that with a podcast.

daf

but never heard him on BBC London.

Baker & Kelly aside, I think these were the best - specifically the ones with David Kuo - pure solid gold!

Keep this under your hat : BBC LONDON AFTERNOON ARCHIVE

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Baker is one of the very few radio broadcasters who has ever made me weep with laughter. And by 'very few' I mean 'only him and Chris Morris'. During periods of depression, he's an emergency source of joy.

I know he's a bit of a nuisance sometimes, but he's got me through some dark times, man. I'm awfully fond of him, flaws and all.

pigamus

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on October 25, 2020, 09:51:56 PM
I can't remember his Radio London shows being anything other than joyful. Certainly don't remember any unprovoked rudeness to callers.

He developed a particularly bad habit of just cutting people off without any acknowledgment, good, bad or indifferent - half the time with them half way through saying, "Hey, Dan - " It just started really getting on my nerves.

The Radio 1 shows and the ill-fated 'All Day Breakfast Show' podcasts from 2007 were my favourite Baker shows.  Genuinely hilarious at times (and 'hilarious' isn't a word I use unless I mean it).
Used to love the guy.  But something's definitely changed with him in the last few years. He's a lot more unlikeable now. 
I bet he's a bit of a pain in the arse to work with.
Twitter definitely hasn't helped.  Had to unfollow him on there in the end.  Unbearable.
Thought the latest Treehouse podcasts were good in places but i did end up just giving up with them after a while.

pigamus

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on October 25, 2020, 11:01:51 PM
I bet he's a bit of a pain in the arse to work with.

And this is the other thing. I remember him telling anecdotes about how some hapless BBC London flunky had tried to make him join in with whatever promotion they were doing that week, and how he'd given them short shrift - as if to say the hapless fool hadn't realised he wasn't like all the other idiots there and warranted special treatment. And his famous row with the bosses - "What a way to treat a bloke who's had cancer!" - I found it all quite repugnant to be honest. I got the impression he was massively disliked by everyone else at BBC London and I don't blame them. He became so obnoxious on there towards the end I lost a lot of respect for him.

Menu

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 25, 2020, 09:24:07 PM
It's not giving him £80 a year though. It's buying a product from him.

Fair point. I was just sort of reflecting the idea that he may be on his uppers, when he probably isn't.

Menu

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 25, 2020, 09:30:33 PM
He's great with callers and, compared to other phone-in shows, he gives them every opportunity to be "any good".
If anything it's a fault of his, as you can't strike gold every time, but he bloody tries!

Bit of a bellend on Twitter though, but that's Twitter innit.

Maybe I should just swerve him on Twitter and buy this Patreon stuff instead. Although as I said before he was annoying me on the radio too. I have a sort of residual loyalty to him because in the 90s it only seemed to be me who liked him! And I do think he was better then.

Menu

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 25, 2020, 09:56:47 PM
I never found him to be rude to callers either. Not in the slightest. He would either politely indulge and support stories which weren't much cop - not in a patronising way, he just didn't want to embarrass them - or sit back and revel in the entertaining contributions of top drawer callers.

I agree with many of the points in this thread, he's an exasperating man who often spouts a load of ill-considered bollocks, but his willingness to engage with listeners is an integral part of his appeal as a broadcaster. That's why his podcast is merely okay. His best radio work thrived on spontaneous interaction with listeners. A thought would occur to Danny, then the floodgates would open.

It was thrilling to listen to sometimes, I loved the way those entirely improvised shows would spiral off into unexpected, hilarious tangents over the course of two or three hours. You just can't do that with a podcast.

Joanne, and the wooden bow tie being good examples of this.