Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:33:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Queen's Gambit

Started by cacciaguida, October 25, 2020, 10:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

She's got it!
Where?
There! Four in a line.

touchingcloth

Quote from: cacciaguida on December 22, 2020, 12:20:43 AM
Out of interest, has anyone here either taken up or got back into chess as a direct or indirect result of this show?

Lots of media buzz (if you look in the right places) about the Queen's Gambit impact but keen to hear some real life examples if you are out there

It made me rewatch Searching for Bobby Fischer. Which was nice.

kalowski

Would love it if they took half a board away each like Fletcher and Lukewarm in Porridge.

touchingcloth

I spent a lot of the time that I was watching The Queen's Gambit checking that chessboards were oriented correctly. I saw in a documentary once that as a keen chess player himself Kubrik's films are notable for never showing an incorrectly-setup board, and this knowledge has ruined my life.

oy vey

Liked it, but there's something... straightforward (best word I can think of) about the plot. I got the same feeling from The King's Speech. Superb acting, costumes, camera work etc etc but it's sort of obvious in a way. Dropping Eric Satie and Classical Gas at the right moments sealed the deal though. Manipulative fucks.

Mrs. Oy similarly wants to learn chess now. Fuck sake.

Icehaven

Quote from: oy vey on December 24, 2020, 03:01:54 AM
Liked it, but there's something... straightforward (best word I can think of) about the plot. I got the same feeling from The King's Speech. Superb acting, costumes, camera work etc etc but it's sort of obvious in a way. Dropping Eric Satie and Classical Gas at the right moments sealed the deal though. Manipulative fucks.

I think this is why a lot of people assumed/thought it was based on a true story, there's not really any twists or coincidences or anything that a lot of fiction seems to assume we expect.

oy vey

Quote from: icehaven on December 24, 2020, 05:57:50 PM
I think this is why a lot of people assumed/thought it was based on a true story, there's not really any twists or coincidences or anything that a lot of fiction seems to assume we expect.

Yeah I'm fine with it not being being Tenet or anything. It's about the character journey innit, and there were enough game loses to give a pinch of suspense.

kalowski

Well I've made it to the last episode, somehow, but I am pretty bored by this, "The Queen's New Clothes".

Thomas

Just started this. Two eps in, interested enough (though the colour grading was correctly criticised on page 1 of this thread):

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 31, 2020, 09:47:52 PM
15 minutes in and it looks like it was shot and then transmitted through the F LUX thing on Macs when you use them late at night.

One thing that has surprised me is just how many people know how to play chess. When did you all learn? Where was I?

One unhappy side-effect of watching this show about a prodigy is realising just how little expertise I have. Can't play chess. Gave up piano when I was ten. Always forget what 'modernism' means and have to Google it. Thanks, escapist telly.

The Dog

Just finished this. Loved it. It really made me want to get back into alcoholism.

For me the ending was a big surprise. Was really expecting her to find her real dad, and for him to be a bishop. Or a horse maybe. I think the ending they went with was much better though. 

Anyway, I heard the second series is going to be set in the world of competitive eating and Beltik is going to be a big fat guy.

I think I might actually be Beltik, which made me sad, but you only live once and its too late now anyway.

badaids

Just watched this, it's good.

But they should have an opening called The Boilie Exchange, and called it that instead.

I hope in series 2 the game will be Championship Manager 94/95 End of Season Update.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Thomas on January 15, 2021, 05:50:05 PMJust started this. Two eps in, interested enough (though the colour grading was correctly criticised on page 1 of this thread):

One thing that has surprised me is just how many people know how to play chess. When did you all learn? Where was I?

One unhappy side-effect of watching this show about a prodigy is realising just how little expertise I have. Can't play chess. Gave up piano when I was ten. Always forget what 'modernism' means and have to Google it. Thanks, escapist telly.

Being as this thread is bumped - this is how I feel. Keep finding out very ordinary friends "used to play chess". "oh yea?" I say thinking they mean they know the pointy ones go in a diagonal and then they tell me about being county champion or something. And it's not stories where the referee comes over and says "oi, mate - no professionals" - it's proper. I don't remember my school having a chess club but it seems every single other one in the 70s and 80s did have.

I tend to throw them on the floor with a harai goshi and say "should have gone to judo club instead, nerd".

I haven't seen the last episode.

Gulftastic

So you missed all the nudity, then?

Des Wigwam

Gah! And I've cancelled Netflix.