Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:34:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beat Saber

Started by peanutbutter, October 26, 2020, 09:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

As far as I'm aware it doesn't have a thread of its own so far. So this is exactly as good as it looked like it might be in videos and the people I've let play it have loved it. Who else has it? How long did you play it till you got bored? Did you buy any of the song packs? Have you any favourite custom tracks?

Only playing a couple of weeks, and only really a few sessions in there but I'm about halfway through the campaign and able to get through most tracks I've played on hard  without dying but hopeless on expert. Have it on the quest but I assume it looks quite a bit better if I play off PC, I'd have to rebuy though and not sure the difference would be worth it though at least until I've exhausted the tracks in the game.

C_Larence

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 26, 2020, 09:43:18 PM
As far as I'm aware it doesn't have a thread of its own so far. So this is exactly as good as it looked like it might be in videos and the people I've let play it have loved it. Who else has it? How long did you play it till you got bored? Did you buy any of the song packs? Have you any favourite custom tracks?

Only playing a couple of weeks, and only really a few sessions in there but I'm about halfway through the campaign and able to get through most tracks I've played on hard  without dying but hopeless on expert. Have it on the quest but I assume it looks quite a bit better if I play off PC, I'd have to rebuy though and not sure the difference would be worth it though at least until I've exhausted the tracks in the game.

Never played it, nor do I know anything about it, but I get a really weird feeling whenever I watch this video.

https://youtu.be/Gaoi1IzwS6o

It's like I've found my hole in the amigara fault, whenever that video plays I become instantly transfixed and lose the capability to think of anything else. I probably look like a cat following a laser pointer when I watch it, my eyes automatically and precisely following every movement on the screen. I've been too scared to look up anything about the game for fear I'll either completely lose myself to it, or it won't live up to the feeling I get from the video..

peanutbutter

Quote from: C_Larence on October 27, 2020, 06:42:08 AM
it won't live up to the feeling I get from the video..
Nah, it's exactly like what I expected it to be like. Get a Quest (~£170 on ebay) or PSVR (I think considerably less used but you need a PS4 and the controllers might bring up the price?) or whatever the cheapest VR option that has it is is and give it a spin

DenzilHolles

It is fantastic fun, a good workout on the higher settings and a great party game to play with a bunch of friends as it's so simple ( I've yet to try the online multiplayer just released but I bet that is cracking fun ). It's a bit frustrating though as I'm very average at it, and due to a spectacular lack of physical coordination it's probably not a game I'm going to get especially good at. I'm stuck at about stage 14 of the campaign, where the easiest route is one where you can't make a single mistake and for the life of me I can't seem to get past about 1 minute and 15 seconds. Will keep bashing at it though, and perhaps I'll improve a bit.

kittens

got to play on this last night and i am a natural. it feels absolutely amazing too

AsparagusTrevor

Beat Saber has been my main (read: only) form of exercise during the pandemic.

This was the first game I bought when I got my Oculus Quest a year ago and I've gradually worked my way up from Easy to Expert (fuck Expert+, that's a pisstake) often with Faster Speed modifier selected for extra cardio action. It's a game that feels very satisfying as you improve. It's great when you get to the point where you stop noticing left/right or blue/red and it all becomes second nature - you feel like Neo when he starts seeing the Matrix in code.

The default songs aren't really my thing, nor the DLC, but I've got it all BMBF'ed up, so custom songs galore. I definitely recommend looking into BMBF for custom songs if you're playing on anything other than PSVR.

How extensive is the custom song universe?

I might buy it just to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usxVNvq3F-U

Blue Jam

Some friends of mine have it and have totally sold it to me. Apparently it really is good cardio as well as being a lot of fun. Was thinking of making it a PS5 purchase but the custom songs sound more fun to play with, might be better on PC.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 31, 2020, 03:01:35 PM
How extensive is the custom song universe?

I might buy it just to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usxVNvq3F-U

Ridiculously extensive. Pop, rock, metal, dance, theme-tunes, musicals, meme shite, loads of stuff. The quality of them varies but there's some really great tracks.

peanutbutter

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 31, 2020, 10:43:18 AM
Beat Saber has been my main (read: only) form of exercise during the pandemic.

This was the first game I bought when I got my Oculus Quest a year ago and I've gradually worked my way up from Easy to Expert (fuck Expert+, that's a pisstake) often with Faster Speed modifier selected for extra cardio action. It's a game that feels very satisfying as you improve. It's great when you get to the point where you stop noticing left/right or blue/red and it all becomes second nature - you feel like Neo when he starts seeing the Matrix in code.

The default songs aren't really my thing, nor the DLC, but I've got it all BMBF'ed up, so custom songs galore. I definitely recommend looking into BMBF for custom songs if you're playing on anything other than PSVR.
Have you upgraded to the PC version or are you getting custom tracks running on the Quest one?

I've a PC that's more than capable of doing Beat Saber at top settings via Oculus Link now so I'm thinking of getting it if there's significant upside.

Can see myself attempting to make a few custom tracks too

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 31, 2020, 06:28:03 PM
Have you upgraded to the PC version or are you getting custom tracks running on the Quest one?

I've a PC that's more than capable of doing Beat Saber at top settings via Oculus Link now so I'm thinking of getting it if there's significant upside.

Can see myself attempting to make a few custom tracks too
I'm running the Quest version modded. Unfortunately it's not a cross-buy so I haven't tried it but apparently the PC version is even easier to mod for custom songs.

peanutbutter

Custom tracks on the whole are fantastic, loving them but is it just me or are a lot of the custom levels focused on high range blocks to a level that makes them quite a bit harder on the quest due to its limited tracking capabilities?

Able to recommend any specific tracks? the M83 one is probably my favourite custom track so far